6 Sixes in an over

Status
Not open for further replies.

hailgautam

Youngling
Herchell Gibbs became the first person to hit 6 sixes in an over against the Holland(Netherlands).

The previous record was with Sanath Jayasurya who scored Max 30 runs in an over.

South Africa completely decapitated the Netherlands bowling attack, amassing a massive 353/3 in their 40 overs. Many records were broken along the way.

Herschelle Gibbs scored a sensational 72, inclusive of six 6s in an over from Daan van Bunge. Gibbs’ runs came of only 40 balls.

But Gibbs’ departure only brought Mark Boucher to the crease, who hammered 75 of 31 balls and in the process also notched up the fastest 50 in ICC Cricket World Cup history of 21 balls.

The South African innings also saw 18 6s, the most in any one-day international.

Graeme Smith (67) and Jacques Kallis (128*) began the onslaught for South Africa early on. Smith and Kallis added 114 for the 2nd wicket to put the innings back in shape after some initial hiccups. The duo brought up the team’s 50 inside 11 overs.

Earlier, Netherlands opening bowlers Billy Stelling and Darron Reekers maintained a good line and length strangling the South Africans to 4/1 in the first 5 overs. The disciplined bowling of the Netherlands opening pair forced Smith and Kallis to go over the top in pursuit of runs.

South Africa got off to the worst possible start in their match against Netherlands losing A B de Villers second ball. The South African opener was caught behind off Billy Stelling, who bowled a maiden wicket over.

This Group A game being played at Warner Park, St Kitts was reduced to 40-overs a side due to a wet outfield.

The umpires conducted an inspection at 10:30 am local time but weren’t satisfied with the prevailing conditions. Another ground inspection took place at 11: 20 am local time and the umpires decided to get the game started at 12:00 pm.

Netherlands skipper Luuk van Troost won the toss and elected to field.
South Africa have recently displaced defending ICC Cricket World Cup champions Australia as the No. 1 team in ODIs and would be looking to begin their campaign on a confident note.
Source

This brings me to ask....should the minnows be allowed to play at this world cup?

Last edited:

a_medico

Chillum Baba
for those who missed it :-

rapidshare.com/files/21426578/gibbs.avi

same link which is posted on rediff :) .. but this one can be downloaded.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
hmm you never know .... there were few more who could hit hard. boucher was in form of life. and then, there was kemp too.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
^^Yeah and they were playing against the Netherlands, Six maare bhi to against whom, Brett Lee ke over mein maare to koi baat bhi ho, but the Netherlands, LOL.

abhi_10_20

Cool and Calm
He He ......
even Mr. Jadeja quoted like this:

"Yaa...this is the reason because minnows are brought to World Cup......
To boost confidence of stronger teams......"

prasad_den

Padawan
^^ I too think minnows are minnows and they should be restricted to Champions trophy at the most... When countries like Zim and Bangla (exceptions do exist..! ;) ) can't play quality cricket, we can't expect the minnows to do any better.. Exposing them in WC doesn't help improve the game ther, I'm sure..

prasad_den

Padawan
^^ Where were you..?? Records tumblling against the minnows of this WC...!! 353 in 40 overs... HAd it been a 50 over match, SA would have gone to at least 500..!!

what a contradiction...in this thread almost everyone has opposed the inclusion of Minnows..and hours later table have turned..Bangladesh beating India comprehensively..and man I cant stop praising Ireland..I was watching them field when India was in a worst position..I was delighted..the way they were fielding...god..They can even challenge Aussies or NZ in fielding dept..just watch the catch their Captain took..mind blowing..they were everywhere on the field...outstanding commitment and confidence..and See...SUperpowers PAK is all set to return home after playing Zim..

prasad_den

Padawan
^^^ True.. two upsets in a single day..but these are exceptions rather than the norms.. I still oppose inclusion of minnows in the WC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom