4k Monitor Suggestion [Mainly for watching movies]

akhilc47

Journeyman
Currently I have a Dell S2216H FullHD monitor, which I use for gaming, movies and little bit of work (mostly consoles and things). I'm thinking of getting another monitor so that my current one can be secondary monitor. I'm planning for purchasing 4K, mostly so that I can watch 4K movies and netflix (4k?). My GPU is Asus strix GTX970, so 4k gaming may not be possible. Suggest me a good 4k monitor for 20k-30k (is that a good budget?).

Also I'm using HDMI port of GPU for current monitor. Is display port or DVI good enough for 4K? Can anyone tell me if dual monitor can be setup easily with my GPU (Strix GTX 970)

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Cheapest 4k monitor you can get is LGUK650. It has HDR but its not it's selling point. It has a low-med amount of backlight bleeding, which is common for IPS panels.

Use displayport for 4k, its the best port. DVI/VGA older ports dont support full 4k@60hz.

Only HDMI 2.0+ and DisplayPort 1.4 +

OP
akhilc47

akhilc47

Journeyman
Will I be missing out on any nice features by going for a cheap one? I don't wanna regret later. I guess HDR is important, what else is there?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
You wont get good HDR unless you spend atleast 50-60k
Even then, this monitor's HDR and overall picture quality >>>>>>>>> Cheap 4k TVs with HDR (40k-50k TVs)

OP
akhilc47

akhilc47

Journeyman
I was looking through the specs and saw it has only 60Hz. But that shouldn't matter much for movies right since frames/sec is pretty low for 4k movies/netflix except gaming?

OP
akhilc47

akhilc47

Journeyman
How about 4K TV for this purpose? Is it gonna be worse option financially and for viewing? Also even if TV it has to be 32" at max, since I wanna keep it at my desk, watching within 1m distance mostly.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
A TV can never replace a monitor. For movies its okay but TV's have
1) A coating to make content look "filmy"
2) Internal Post processing to make the content "filmy"
3) Input lag as a result of above.

Im not sure about any 4k 32 inch TVs, i think they all start at 40inch. But if you were to find one, you can link it and perhaps we can find a review for it. Still, I'd recommend 27-28 inch if you use it as a monitor.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are using TV as monitor then I suggest using mobile/laptop for doing majority of "online activities". Also nothing beats good TV as far as watching(movies,tv shows etc) experience is considered as they will always be larger in size than similarly priced good monitors.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
watching a 4K TV at 1m distance is not a pleasant experience to the eyes.

Get a 4K TV which has HDR for better movie experience and it will come under your budget.
4K Monitor is not recommended for movie viewing, and is best for 4K Gaming due to input lag etc.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
How about 4K TV for this purpose? Is it gonna be worse option financially and for viewing? Also even if TV it has to be 32" at max, since I wanna keep it at my desk, watching within 1m distance mostly.

I was going to recommend you a TV instead of monitor, as you already have a monitor and you mostly would be watching movies on the 4k panel, but if the distance is going to be 1m just go for LGUK650.
Well, I don't know your room interiors but isn't wall mount possible? It seems you won't be doing any productive work which asks for dual monitors setup, so buying another monitor just for watching movies doesn't sound very right. Requirements wise, TV might be the better option for you.

Minion

Conversation Architect
I would suggest
Panasonic 108 cm (43 Inches) 4K UHD LED Smart TV TH-43FX600D
*www.amazon.in/Panasonic-Inches-Sma...id=1547788640&sr=8-2&keywords=panasonic+4k+tv

Top Bottom