4GB DDR2 RAM not supported in Windows7 32bit, is this true ?

kool

Cyborg Agent
Hi guys,

I m using this configuration :

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz | Socket 775 LGA
Motherboard: P5KPL-AM/PS || Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 ||
RAM: Transcend DDR2 2GB || PC2-5300 (333 MHz) || JM667QLU-2G - 667Mhz
HDD: 500 + 160 GB Seagate
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS @ 512 MB

There are two RAM slot, currently using one slot only of 2GB RAM 667Mhz, I am planning to add one more RAM of 2GB to 2nd slot, but on ASUS MOBO website it saying that Windows 32 Bit system doesn't support more than 3 GB RAM. Is this true ? ?

Should i buy 1GB RAM or 2GB? many people are saying 64bit support more than 4GB but 32Bit support upto 3GB only, plz clear my doubt.

Here what ASUS website saying:

[h=3] FAQ.
I have install total 4GB memory on my motherboard. However, it can only recognize around 3.1GB or less. My friend's SLI board even less than 3GB. What's up? How should I do to recognize 4GB totally?

[/h]
If you installed total 4GB memory, the system will detect less than 4GB of total memory because of address space allocation for other critical functions, such as:

- System BIOS (including motherboard, add-on cards, etc..)
- Motherboards resources
- Memory mapped I/O
- configuration for AGP/PCI-Ex/PCI
- Other memory allocations for PCI devices

Different onboard devices and different add-on cards (devices) will result of different total memory size.
e.g. more PCI cards installed will require more memory resources, resulting of less memory free for other uses.

On a SLI system, since PCI-Ex graphic cards will occupy around 256MB, another 256MB will be occupied after you install a 2nd PCI-Ex graphic card. Hence, 2.75GB memory left only if two SLI cards installed on A8N-SLI Premium while 3.0GB memory left with one graphic card without other add-on devices.

This limitation applies to most chipsets & Microsoft Windows 32-bit version operating systems.

If you install Windows 32-bit version operating system, we recommend that you install less than 3GB of total memory. If more than 3GB memory is required for your system, then below two conditions must be met: 1. The memory controller which supports memory swap functionality is used. Chipsets later than Intel 975X, 955X, Nvidia NF4 SLI Intel Edition, Nvidia NF4 SLI X16, and AMD K8 CPU architecture support memory swap function. 2. Windows 64-bit OS which can address more than 4GB memory.

- - - Updated - - -

*www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5KPLAMPS/HelpDesk/

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
If you need windows 7/8/10 with more than 3 GB ram, install the 64-bit version.
This has nothing to do with memory type (DDR2).

Actually 32 bit theoretically supports 4 GB of RAM but ~800 MB or it is consumed by BIOS/UEFI and OS itself. Even the remaining part is not utilized efficiently as the OS is working with it's address table 100% filled. 64 bit OS is recommended with anything more than 3 GB of RAM. This has nothing to do with memory type though.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
there should be some PAE patch..try that..*msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366796(v=vs.85).aspx

it may cause weird problems with games.not so sure.
definitely slow performance..

BryanM35

Broken In
Having a bit of problem during installation if you have enough RAM you will easily do all the task in window 7 it very accessible and good.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Just reinstall Windows with the same license or in dual boot with a trial copy (must activate after 30 days) so you can transfer stuff from 32bit one to 64bit

32bit is the past and is really oudated
4gb on 32bit is a waste

you can reuse the same key also so theres no extra cost to go from 32 to 64bit at all

- - - Updated - - -

I have a similar config - C2D 2.2ghz with 4gb ram(2 sticks of 2gb) and 2tb of storage
was running 32bit XP,now running 64bit 7 with 64bit Windows 10 technical preview
big difference in performance in 64 and 32

warfreak

Talk to the hand!!!
Its not like its not supported. Applications won't be able to access full 4 GB that's it.

Top Bottom