4 RAM sticks on Z170 and other RAM issues/questions

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
Hi All,

I recently had a couple of nvlddmkm crashes while playing PUBG. After that the system refused to POST. I figured with the help of thetechfreak that one of my RAMs is not working. I cleaned the faulty RAM with an eraser etc. but to no avail.

My specs are - Intel 6700K, Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 -Rev 1.0, Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 4x4 GB 2800 MHz (cmk16gx4m4a2800c16), Asus 1080 8 GB ROG Strix

1) I had only recently discovered that my RAM was not running on 2800 MHz XMP profile. It was running at 2133 MHz(Default). Is there an issue with the Gigabyte Z170x not being able to run high speeds such as 2800 MHz/ XMP profile when you use 4 sticks because of the pressure on the memory controller?

2) Right now after several tries in different slots, I have been able to get 2x4 GB of the Corsair RAM up & running in XMP profile after several tries/restarts/no POST. Does this mean there is an issue with the RAM(currently running a memtest on it) or does it point to MoBo issues? It finally worked in the slots it wasn't working in earlier!

3) I believe I will have to pay the cost of shipping if I RMA my RAM to Corsair(Should be like $30-$35 my guess). Based on my above mentioned worry, that my MoBo would not support XMP with 4 sticks,should I just get maybe 2x8 GB 3200 MHz/3600 MHz RAM/ whatever fastest RAM would be best for my setup?New RAM would be $60 to $100 I assume?
Also, PUBG, Overwatch + a couple of other games I play, love high speed RAM and has a big impact on the FPS.

4) Is there some benefit of 4x4 GB over 2x8 GB for my setup?

In conclusion, I don't want to spend money if the investment is not worth it. I am really unsure about investing in new RAM because I am worried about compatibility. I am looking for opinion and advice from Experts.

So should I just RMA the Corsairs and save money or should I get new RAM ? If yes to the new RAMs, which ones should I buy that my setup would be compatible with and easily support. And If I do, should I still RMA the Corsairs and keep them as back up RAM?

Sorry for the long post, unsure about what to do, also this is my first gaming PC that was built by someone else for me. Thanks!

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Is there an issue with the Gigabyte Z170x not being able to run high speeds such as 2800 MHz/ XMP profile when you use 4 sticks because of the pressure on the memory controller?
I am not familiar with Gigabyte's BIOS but usually you need to set the appropriate XMP profile in the BIOS for the RAM to run at full speed. I had this issue on my Asus X570 board, but it got fixed after I changed the XMP settings. I don't remember the exact settings, will have to check. Perhaps look up how to do this for your motherboard.
Right now after several tries in different slots, I have been able to get 2x4 GB of the Corsair RAM up & running in XMP profile after several tries/restarts/no POST. Does this mean there is an issue with the RAM(currently running a memtest on it) or does it point to MoBo issues? It finally worked in the slots it wasn't working in earlier!
This is usually a temporary issue as the BIOS detects the changed hardware config. If particular slots are not working, it could either be an issue with the motherboard or the memory controller on the CPU. In the latter case, check for bent pins or anything that might be preventing some pins from making contact with the socket. If you don't observe any issues then perhaps there is an issue with the motherboard.
Based on my above mentioned worry, that my MoBo would not support XMP with 4 sticks
I don't think that should be the case.
should I just get maybe 2x8 GB
Yes, because of upgradability.
Is there some benefit of 4x4 GB over 2x8 GB for my setup?
Miniscule performance improvements but nothing significant.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
About 2.5yrs ago, I had similar issue with my G31 board. When I took all the parts to repair shop, they found the cause i.e. one of the RAM slot is shorting and advised not to use that one. Board had two slots and I had two sticks, since I was advised not to use one, I just used one stick. It worked for few months. When it again started giving problems, I try hard rest, switch the sticks and it would work. Whenever happens, I switch sticks, switch slots. Yes, I forgot which is one I shouldn't use. So I tried one by one, sometimes system worked in slot1 and sometimes in slot2 and same with RAM sticks. Sometimes one would work, sometime other would work. With just 1GB, I couldn't use few apps I usually use so I upgraded.

Since you have already found one stick is faulty, test the other 3 as well. Test one slot and one stick at a time and check all the slots and sticks. If no error, then I wouldn't suspect the board. Other than that you can update BIOS if there is one for your board. Whenever there is no POST, do a hard reset (clear jumper or remove CMOS and replace after 10 min or so).

If shipping costs as much as the stick, what's the point? 30-35 US is about 2-2.5k INR. 4GB costs less than that. They would replace that one unit, right? or all the four if you have bought the 4 stick kit? If it's the latter, yeah RMA them.

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

I am not familiar with Gigabyte's BIOS but usually you need to set the appropriate XMP profile in the BIOS for the RAM to run at full speed. I had this issue on my Asus X570 board, but it got fixed after I changed the XMP settings. I don't remember the exact settings, will have to check. Perhaps look up how to do this for your motherboard.

This is usually a temporary issue as the BIOS detects the changed hardware config. If particular slots are not working, it could either be an issue with the motherboard or the memory controller on the CPU. In the latter case, check for bent pins or anything that might be preventing some pins from making contact with the socket. If you don't observe any issues then perhaps there is an issue with the motherboard.

I don't think that should be the case.

Yes, because of upgradability.

Miniscule performance improvements but nothing significant.

This is from a subreddit where I made the same post.

"I have a 6700k/msi z170A gaming pro carbon /32gb DDR4 3600mhz across 4 dimms.

My motherboard doesn't support 4 dimms at 3600mhz, it's either either or, which is not obvious on any main specsheets. It's absolutely buried. Very annoying. I'm keeping my new ram and hoping that it works when I can get a 5000 series CPU.

You'll probably have to run at 2133 or 2400 until you get a new mobo/CPU.

My ram straight up won't POST if I run it anything above 2400mhz."

I have read this across many forums about 6700k + Z170, thats what got me worried.

About the bent pins, After the first time the processor was installed, it has never been taken out. How can it have bent pins?

upgradability? aren't we supposed to buy memory in kits always? If I add 2x8 GB, won't there be compatibility issues?

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

About 2.5yrs ago, I had similar issue with my G31 board. When I took all the parts to repair shop, they found the cause i.e. one of the RAM slot is shorting and advised not to use that one. Board had two slots and I had two sticks, since I was advised not to use one, I just used one stick. It worked for few months. When it again started giving problems, I try hard rest, switch the sticks and it would work. Whenever happens, I switch sticks, switch slots. Yes, I forgot which is one I shouldn't use. So I tried one by one, sometimes system worked in slot1 and sometimes in slot2 and same with RAM sticks. Sometimes one would work, sometime other would work. With just 1GB, I couldn't use few apps I usually use so I upgraded.

Since you have already found one stick is faulty, test the other 3 as well. Test one slot and one stick at a time and check all the slots and sticks. If no error, then I wouldn't suspect the board. Other than that you can update BIOS if there is one for your board. Whenever there is no POST, do a hard reset (clear jumper or remove CMOS and replace after 10 min or so).

If shipping costs as much as the stick, what's the point? 30-35 US is about 2-2.5k INR. 4GB costs less than that. They would replace that one unit, right? or all the four if you have bought the 4 stick kit? If it's the latter, yeah RMA them.

Thanks for the advice. My other memory sticks that are working right now are also failing memtest so I think, all em have gone bad. In terms of testing each slot, I've done that. The system POSTs with one 4 gig stick in any slot. I've already updated to the latest BIOS.

The shipping costs suck in the US. It's such a big country, that reason aside, I think this is a tactic by Corsair to discourage people from RMAing. Their website mentions that most of the RAM they receive for RMA are fine so its either that or a dirty tactic by Corsair. The $35 is what I've read on forums, I'm waiting to hear back from Corsair and see what they say. I've submitted my RMA claim. And the 4 sticks are a set.. so lets see if the RMA is worth it?

like 2x8 gb 3600MHz is $75, makes me feel if it is even worth RMAing? even if I RMA just to sell, who will buy the 2800 MHz? 300MHz ram is like $50 right now.

Top Bottom