[35K] CPU+Mobo+RAM

OP
masterkd

masterkd

Padawan
Month and Year of manufacture: Jun '19
Month and Year of import: Jul '19
It was Ryzen 3000 ready out of the box. Same was mentioned on the box. Had May bios.

Ryzen 5 3600 - 17050
Asrock B450 Pro4 - 6962
GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB - 3599x2 = 7198
Total - 31210

One thing I found cpu speed is not going below 3.8GHz in windows task manager. Hence idle temps are btween 45 - 50. In Ryzen balanced plan. Tried other power plans as well but its the same. Any insight?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
How come Asrock B450 Pro 4 is 6962,isn't it 7k on mdcomputers?

Seems like it is normal for these ryzen 3xxx processors.Make sure you use only ryzen master(& not simultaneously running hwinfo,cpu-z etc for monitoring) & you can also try windows inbuilt balanced power plan setting.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
One thing I found cpu speed is not going below 3.8GHz in windows task manager. Hence idle temps are btween 45 - 50. In Ryzen balanced plan. Tried other power plans as well but its the same. Any insight?
When I bought, I was expecting it always stays at base clock. But it was moving from 1600-3700mhz all the time, mostly @ lower end of that range. Later learned that's how its supposed to be.
BTW, here is answer to your question.
The final word on idle voltages for 3rd Gen ryzen : Amd
What about Ryzen Balanced vs. Windows Balanced Plan?

By now, you may know that 3rd Gen Ryzen heralds the return of the Ryzen Balanced power plan (only for 3rd Gen CPUs; everyone else can use the regular ol' Windows plan). This plan specifically enables the 1ms clock selection we've been promoting as a result of CPPC2. This allows the CPU to respond more quickly to workloads, especially bursty workloads, which improves performance for you. In contrast, the default "Balanced" plan that comes with Windows is configured to a 15ms clock selection interval.

Some have noticed that switching to the Windows Balanced plan, instead of the Ryzen Balanced Plan, causes idle voltages to settle. This is because the default Balanced Plan, with 15ms intervals, comparatively instructs the processor to ignore 14 of 15 clock requests relative to the AMD plan.

So, if the monitoring tool is sitting there hammering the cores with boost requests, the default plan is just going to discard most of them. The core frequency and clock will settle to true idle values now and then. But if you run ourperformance-enhancing plan, the CPU is going to act on every single boost request interpreted from the monitoring tool. Voltages and clock, therefore, will go up. Observer effect in action!
How come Asrock B450 Pro 4 is 6962,isn't it 7k on mdcomputers?
Come on, how big is that difference?

quicky008

Technomancer
@masterkd : can you please upload a photo of the box that contained your mobo,as well as some screenshots of the bios if possible?

did you get the items directly from md's outlet at chandni chowk in kolkata?

apart from the high clock speeds during idle,have you faced any other issues with your setup till now?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Come on, how big is that difference?
It's not the difference that matters but that "unusual figure of 6962". My guess is he bought it directly from mdcomputers shop in Kolkata but still like to confirm as it gives an idea of how much extra money one pay for using "payment gateway" at these small sites(primeabgb has a similar method where if you ask them over email to give their acc no to directly transfer money then they will quote a lower price which will eventually be cheaper than final online price even with shipping charges).

OP
masterkd

masterkd

Padawan
Sorry I couldn't upload the images before.
IMG_20190902_191508.jpg IMG_20190902_191456.jpg

OP
masterkd

masterkd

Padawan
I have been checking in Ryzen Master for last few days. Here I see idle temp around 35C and peak speed going as low as 350 MHz. In load it is around 60C and 3600 MHz. No boost?? I am not sure.

One thing I find my system is not going in sleep automatically. Yet to figure out why.

Your ram is running at default 2133MHz,try enable XMP to at least run them at 2999MHz.
My system is not booting if I load XMP profile @3200 MHz. Manually changed it to 2933 MHz.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ryzen 3xxx works differently from previous gens,you can pretty much neglect the boost(performance will be fine). As for system sleep issue,may be it is ryzen 3xxx related,try exiting any monitoring apps like hwinfo etc & then see if it helps.

Asrock ram support has always been a bit rocky compared to others,may be in future with some bios update you may achieve 3200MHz on Ryzen 3xxx.

quicky008

Technomancer
Ryzen 3000: AMD deliberately limited Boost behavior in favor of longevity, says Asus staff

are such claims stating that ryzen 3000 cpus may have reduced longevity due to their design issues (relating to clock speeds and so on)true at all?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ryzen 3000: AMD deliberately limited Boost behavior in favor of longevity, says Asus staff

are such claims stating that ryzen 3000 cpus may have reduced longevity due to their design issues (relating to clock speeds and so on)true at all?
I don't think this is of any concern for a typical user,may be those who run their pc 24*7 under heavy processor load(only possible in some type of commercial work environment) & even then it depends(a current processor lasting 4 years(standard warranty+1 year) is good enough for me as by then ddr5/6 ram would be the norm.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I have been checking in Ryzen Master for last few days. Here I see idle temp around 35C and peak speed going as low as 350 MHz. In load it is around 60C and 3600 MHz. No boost?? I am not sure.
One thing I find my system is not going in sleep automatically. Yet to figure out why.
My system is not booting if I load XMP profile @3200 MHz. Manually changed it to 2933 MHz.
Hope core boost, PBO are enabled. Try HWinfo, you will see CPU hitting boost frequency.
Check power plan, they may have to do with it.
That's a bummer. Not getting advertised xmp frequency.

OP
masterkd

masterkd

Padawan
I have been monitoring Ryzen Master few more days now and I see peak speed is hitting over 4GHz sometimes. Also I don't know how my system started to going into sleep. However sometimes it wakes up for no reason.

quicky008

Technomancer
Are you using the stock cooler or some after market cooler with your cpu?What kind of temps do you get under idle and load conditions?Does it ever overheat when its under heavy load(such as when running a game or benchmarking tool)?

OP
masterkd

masterkd

Padawan
Are you using the stock cooler or some after market cooler with your cpu?What kind of temps do you get under idle and load conditions?Does it ever overheat when its under heavy load(such as when running a game or benchmarking tool)?
Using stock cooler. According to Ryzen Master around 35-38C in idle and 64-68C in load (Gaming).
Have not used any benchmarking software.

Darth Vader

In the zone
Using stock cooler. According to Ryzen Master around 35-38C in idle and 64-68C in load (Gaming).
Have not used any benchmarking software.
Can you check the temp/clock with Hwinfo and share screenshots ? I'm planning to build the same setup as well.

Top Bottom