320 external hardisk..

Vensanga

Journeyman
Guys am planning to buy a 320 external hardisk online and aim at Western digital..
here are two hdd that i've found...
*primeabgb.com/index.php?page=shop....ategory_id=71&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53
and...
*lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=10772
can u please tell me the difference between Desktop 3.5 and Laptop 2.5...and suggest which one i better...

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
As the name suggests, 2.5" drives are for laptops or for portable drives. 2.5" external drives are better to carry around as they are built more rugged to withstand being carried around. If portability is important to you, buy a 2.5" drive, if not buy a 3.5" as they'll be cheaper. Seagate & WD are trusted brands for HDDs.
Rugged drives by adata have got good reviews and are water proof and shock proof. You can have a look at them if you want reliability even after your drives are subjected to shock or wet environments

pushkar

Journeyman
2.5" external drives don't require external power source, while the 3.5" external ones do. That is one of the reasons why 2.5" external hard disks are significantly more expensive that the 3.5" ones.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Oh yes, forgot to mention the most important difference, silly me! For a 2.5" drive you'll not need to carry a power adapter, the drive will connect to 2 USB ports and no external power source will be required. Again, good if portability is important. They are also thinner.

OP
Vensanga

Vensanga

Journeyman
i guess i'l go with the 2.5 hdd...and can u please decide which one i should order from the link i have posted..Lynx or Prime...which is better..i want to place my order at the earliest...

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
2 USB ports? My WD Passport Essential and Seagate FreeAgent Go drives run on one USB port; they don't even have an additional port for power.

I haven't used any of them, I have used just a transcend which connects to 2 USB ports and I read somewhere that all such drives connect to 2 ports as 1 port is not able to supply enough power. Anyways, it's even better if they connect to only 1 port.

I would advise going for seagate or WD, transcend is not good and if your drive goes bad, you'd come to know that service is also awful.

static_x

In the zone
Stay away from Transcend & Iomega..they are the poorest when it comes to service...Go only for WD or Seagate...Imation's Apollo is another good option with good looks and 3 yrs warranty.
Seagate and WD use only 1 USB port for operation but other use Y USB cable but that is not that important...
Imation Apollo:
*www.techgadgets.in/images/imation-apollo-portable-hdd-2.jpg

OP
Vensanga

Vensanga

Journeyman
Thnks guys..i place my order on Prime ABGB..will be depositing the money tomorrow in the HDFC Bank....and one question is that in ICICI it is said that extra 100 is needed for Bank transfer...wat about in HDFC, do we need to send the extra 100??

Top Bottom