2.75L Gaming, Productivity and Multimedia.

ThePerfectStorm

Right off the assembly line
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:
GAMING:

(Games to be played at 144fps@1080p/1440p, you'll understand why in the monitor section) - CoD:WW2 (and all previous CoD eg. BO1, BO2, AW, IW), Battlefield 1 (and all previous Battlefield games eg. BF4, BF3, BFBC2), Witcher 3, FIFA 18, Dragon Age series, Crysis (1, 2, 3), NFS series (Payback, Rivals, HP2010, Shift, S2U, MW2014), Project CARS (1 & 2), Supreme Commander (1 & 2), C&C 3, Skyrim, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor/Shadow of War

PRODUCTIVITY AND MULTIMEDIA:

Huge Excel Spreadsheets, Heavy Video Editing/Encoding, Audio Editing, Watching Movies

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Rs. 2,75,000 (Including Monitor)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Yes

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 500GB or more SSD, 4TB or more HDD

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes, I intend to buy a monitor. I am currently looking at the Asus PG279Q, but am open to suggestions.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Headphones, Keyboard, Mouse

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: November 2nd Week or December 1st Week

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Me and some people from my office could try (since I've never built one before), but if you guys advise I'll call in an assembler, since this is a huge amount of money.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Chennai. Willing to buy online or locally.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: 1. Want just one fast GPU, trying to avoid SLI.
2. Looking for the platform (MB, RAM, SSD+HDD) to last me at least 5 years, willing to upgrade CPU and GPU in that time frame.
3. Want 32GB RAM.
4. I have no idea whether it is wise to buy from Newegg India, so any advice there will help.
5. For OCing, a good CLC Liquid Cooler would be nice.
6. The place I stay in is very dusty, so would be obliged if dust covers for the case fans could be suggested.
7. Reccomendation for Thermal paste wanted.

OP
T

ThePerfectStorm

Thanks. I think 1440p@144fps is sufficient rather than 4k. Also, is the 7900X worth it? I don't like the face that Z370 does not have an upgrade path since in 2H18 Z390 with 8-core mainstream processors will launch with no backward compatibility. X299 may only have higher core count as the upgrade path but it's better than nothing. Or should I consider X370 or X399?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thanks. I think 1440p@144fps is sufficient rather than 4k. Also, is the 7900X worth it? I don't like the face that Z370 does not have an upgrade path since in 2H18 Z390 with 8-core mainstream processors will launch with no backward compatibility. X299 may only have higher core count as the upgrade path but it's better than nothing. Or should I consider X370 or X399?
How long are you planning to use the PC till you upgrade?
For pure gaming purpose, a 8700k is a better option. 7700k beats 7900X in gaming benchmarks.
Watch this where 8700k is compared with 2600k:
In summary, both of them perform identically when same GPU is used.

Regarding X370 and X399, if you will be doing video encoding with gaming simultaneously, then only it would be worth the cost. Most people don't do that and choosing threadripper when say 75-90% of the usage is gaming, is a bad option.

OP
T

ThePerfectStorm

How long are you planning to use the PC till you upgrade?
For pure gaming purpose, a 8700k is a better option. 7700k beats 7900X in gaming benchmarks.
Watch this where 8700k is compared with 2600k:
In summary, both of them perform identically when same GPU is used.

Regarding X370 and X399, if you will be doing video encoding with gaming simultaneously, then only it would be worth the cost. Most people don't do that and choosing threadripper when say 75-90% of the usage is gaming, is a bad option.

Thanks for the advice. I won't be encoding while gaming. I would like the platform to last me 5-6 years but during that time I am willing to upgrade CPU (assuming that there is an upgrade path) and GPU.

ghouse12311

Ambassador of Buzz
Acer and ASUS Delay Their 4K 144 Hz G-Sync HDR Displays to 2018

For your budget, I suggest waiting for 4k 144hz monitors, they will last for a very long time....

Top Bottom