18K mobile for Gaming and Camera ??? (MMX Canvas HD or LG Optimus L9)

saurabhpatel

Journeyman
1. Budget?
18-K

2. Display type and size?
4.5 Inches + IPS LCD or AMOLED

3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip?
bar

4. Preferred choice of brand?
Nokia, Samsung, HTC, LG, Huawei, Motorola, Sony. Micromax included because of the hype around it.

5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type).
Touch

6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera.
Flash, AF, Front facing, Primary Camera at least 5MP

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
Android, WP

9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)?
Flash support preferred to stream live matches

10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)?
Camera, Social Networking, Browsing, Gaming

11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration
Canvas HD and LG Optimus L9

12. Any other info that you want to share
L9's camera reviews haven't been great yet I am somehow convinced that it will be better than the 8MP snapper of MMX.

Would have bought L9 last week had the Canvas HD with a better GPU and higher no. of cores in CPU not been releasing. I would esp like to know if the MediaTek Quad Cores are significantly better than dual core on L9? Also read on this forum that Texas Instrument phones won't be seeing much android updates. (although JB has been confirmed for the LG)

Is there any other comparable offering from HTC or Sony that should be considered??

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
L9, Eyes Closed. MMX support is good for nothing and the specs under the hood is not as good as L9 IMO. Don't go by the Quad Core v Dual Core thing, L9's Cortex A9 beats the sh1t out of MediaTek Quad Core.

OP
saurabhpatel

saurabhpatel

Journeyman
L9, Eyes Closed. MMX support is good for nothing and the specs under the hood is not as good as L9 IMO. Don't go by the Quad Core v Dual Core thing, L9's Cortex A9 beats the sh1t out of MediaTek Quad Core.

Good to hear that from an actual user. L9 seems to have a budding XDA community too. Can you confirm if the latest HD games work fine? *Already Excited*

OP
saurabhpatel

saurabhpatel

Journeyman
Infibeam stocks it at 17.4 K which seems to be a good buying price with CoD option available. Thanks everyone.
Is there any other phone worth recommending that I may be missing?? Or should I go ahead and place the order??

Sudh4r

Fire Lord
Could suggest XPERIA P only for 8 MP Camera. Cons -- 1305 mAh battery, no expandable memory slots, 4'.

So better stick with L9 IMO.

tkin

Back to school!!
Optimus L9 eyes closed, camera is not too bad, works good in normal light, but not that good in low light, if you want to know more here's a small review from an user(me :p):

LG breaks through the mid/high range performance barrier!!

First off all, hats off to flipkart, got delivery within 3 days, that too when I ordered on Sunday. Now we take a look at the specs of this beast:

Pros:

1. TI OMAP 4430 SOC(Dual Cortex A9+SGX540), for those who don't know this is the same SOC(chip) present in Galaxy Tab 7" and 10" series, Galaxy Nexus, Droid RAZR and a bunch of other high-end devices from 2012-2013, so, right there on the performance metric.

2. 4.7" IPS panel, amazing viewing angle and 30% brightness is enough except for sunlight, for which a mere 50% does the job. Excellent viewing angles and qHD display gives 240PPI, meaning, crisp clear image with no aliasing.

3. 1GB RAM is enough for everything, and this really has 1GB RAM, not 768MB, free RAM is 300-400MB at any time, ample.

4. 2150mah batt, which is the largest among all phones except Note series, excellent battery life, normal use will get you 1.5-2 days easy.

5. LG Optimus UI 3.0 is extremely fluid, as good as Samsung's UI and certainly better than HTC's, phone is snappy, no lags whatsoever, and browsing is fluid and fast, excellent OS customization by LG.

6. Comes with bundles of premium software like QTranslator, Polaris Office etc.

7. And the others like NFC, WiFiDirect, GPS, Compass, FM+RDS etc are also present, LG does not skimp on features.

8. Extremely lightweight and thin phone, a beauty to hold and handle.

Now, the Cons:

1. The camera while good in daylight is not at all upto the mark in low light/night, so if you buy phones for the camera only, give this a wide berth. Same goes for 1080P recording, downsampling helps, but not that much. But if you take casual snapshots and are not a image quality freak then its perfect, camera UI is snappy, takes panorama, and has some customization settings.

2. 4GB internal memory, do you buy a 20k smartphone just to play super HD games and install about 5-6 such games at the same time? If yes, then this is not for you either. But if you play one or two super HD game and some casual games like Temple Run 2, Angry Birds, Ninjump, Fruitninja, you can do it easy. Rooting can circumvent this issue, but since that goes against warranty policy I will not elaborate it here.

3. No Jelly Bean at launch, but a jelly bean has been confirmed for our model: LG Optimus 4X HD, L9 and L7 Getting Jelly Bean Update On 1H 2013, Says LG Hong Kong - GSM Insider - Gadgets news from the insider

4. Memory card is not hot swappable, but that's not that big of a con anyway as this has plethora of connectivity options like Bluetooth, wifi.

Now how does this make Optimus L9 the best solution under 22k? Well lets see the competition, there's galaxy s advance with smaller screen and lower resolution, 768MB RAM, and 1500mah battery, pfft, now grand, it has a 190ppi screen, meaning you could count pixels, a videocore gpu that no other company uses with performance all over the floor for 4k higher price. And finally Xperia P which is as good or better than L9 but has a 1300mah battery, meaning you should carry the charger 24x7 with you.

Now Optimus L9 has every base covered, unlike other companies it does not cut cost by reducing hardware specs like ram, battery, screen size, but only the camera and I for one do not buy a smartphone for its camera only, I use a FZ150 for that task, so this phone is perfect for me, plays all games smoothly, browsing is as fluid as it can be, interface is as smooth as Jelly Bean, and finally, the screen is too gorgeous, also it has nice design as well, lightweight, and frankly looks better than Samsung sets easily, battery life is better than every android set I had ever used in my life, and it charges extremely fast, does not heat up when charging or gaming(a little heating for extreme quality games), good signal reception and very low SAR for all the health conscious people out there.

So what is my verdict?
If you have a budget of 23k or lower(i.e don't want to shell out 25k for Xperia SL/Optimus 4XHD) then buy the LG Optimus L9 eyes closed, its "Living Large" baby, satisfaction guaranteed ;)

cacklebolt

Ambassador of Buzz
Optimus L9 eyes closed, camera is not too bad, works good in normal light, but not that good in low light, if you want to know more here's a small review from an user(me :p):

Great review:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

OP
saurabhpatel

saurabhpatel

Journeyman
Have placed the order. Just a heads up - the MANGOPEOPLE coupon code at infibeam gave me 1740 worth of shopping credit in my wallet so effectively the phone costs Rs. 15,660. Hope the delivery is efficient and timely like flipkart.

Top Bottom