Zune 2 and Flash Zune Official

Status
Not open for further replies.

azzu

AJJU
The next-generation Zune has just been announced, coming at you with a price tag (which we already saw) of $249 for the 80GB hard drive model and $149/$199 for the 4GB and 8GB flash-based models respectively. The new features in all models, which were leaked early, are wireless syncing with your computer automatically when you're in Wi-Fi range—something users have been clamoring for since even before the first Zune—as well as videos in the Zune Marketplace and new music, some of which are DRM-free. The Zune Pad is actually touch sensitive, much like the iPod's Click Wheel.

We're live-updating as we find out more after the jump.

Zune Marketplace now has music videos, but no movies. Three million songs total. The 80GB Zune also has a large, 3.2-inch screen, but only comes in black. It's also smaller and thinner than the original Zune. The flash-based Zunes, on the other hand, come in pink, green, black and red, and are the smallest of all. [CNET]
*img441.imageshack.us/img441/9333/family5550x252qn5.jpg

Update: The sharing feature is being expanded so you can send music AND "other media" to other Zunes. The shared songs have no expiration date and can be shared again with other people, but the same 3 play limitation is still there.

Zune's also getting a Zune Social social-networking site. You don't even have to own a Zune to join. You can have Zune Cards to "reflect your musical preferences", based on the music you listen to on your Zune player. The card can have custom pictures and backgrounds. Displays your currently played song. You can also browse other people's cards and sample the standard 30-seconds of the song to see if you like it. There's also going to be community-generated charts to see what's popular right now in the Zne community.

The Zune's got a re-worked navigation button and is no longer has brown as a color. Darn, we liked the brown. [NYT]
*img70.imageshack.us/img70/9182/medium147451439606541e8xg8.jpg

Update 2: There's additional video codec support as well: h.264 and MPEG4. You don't have to convert all your stuff to WMV.

Zune's also getting a feature to automatically import recorded content from Windows Media Center as well, meaning you can take your TV shows to go just by syncing up with your computer.

Update 3: The 30GB Zune actually isn't being eliminated, and will be offered at $199. Amazon already has it for $165-$185 now. It's going to get Wireless Sync, the upgraded Zune to Zune transfer, and the recorded TV content to go. It's most likely got the same codec support as the 80GB.

Update 4: There's no Zune Wi-Fi store access here. You're still going to have to buy your music from your computer and sync it to your Zune. But, Microsoft says:

What we're waiting to see is more revolutionary changes, such as the ability to access the Zune music service via Wi-Fi.

Zune 2

* FAMILY-3-550x458.jpg
* FAMILY-5-550x252.jpg
* GREEN-S-284x584.jpg
* Marketplace_VR-550x387.jpg
* RED-S-RADIO-272x543.jpg
* video-550x365.jpg
* BLACK-D-NEAR-403x600.jpg
* watermark-1.jpeg
* watermark-3.jpeg
* watermark.jpeg
* watermark-2.jpeg

80GB Zune Feature List:

Beautiful, big color screen. A bright, durable 3.2-inch glass screen delivers uncompromised portable video viewing. Your music, video and pictures never looked better.
• Touch controls. Fly effortlessly through your song, picture and video collections with the new Zune Pad. Innovative new touch controls let you brush or click.
• Wireless sync. Cut the cord to your PC. Refresh your Zune with new content anywhere you charge your device. Connect to your PC through your home wireless network by setting your Zune to automatically sync the latest podcasts, music and more from your stereo dock, AC adapter or speaker dock accessory.
• Zune Social, a beta online community Web site. Discover, share and leave your musical mark. Create a Zune Card and personal profile at Zune.net to reflect your musical identity. Invite friends, share song recommendations, post comments and browse member pages to discover new music and connect to other people with similar musical tastes.
• Zune Marketplace. Get your fill. Over 3 million songs, albums, DRM-free MP3s, music videos, audio and video podcasts and more. Buy individual songs and albums or choose a Zune Pass to get unlimited downloads for a flat rate.
• Wireless Zune-to-Zune sharing.3 Share full-length tracks of your favorite songs, albums, playlists, pictures and even audio podcasts. Listen to the full track of any song you receive up to three times, and even pass along songs you receive to other friends who have a Zune. If you like a song you receive, you can easily add it to your wish list and then buy it from your PC the next time you sync.
• Recorded television content to go. The Zune software will now automatically import broadcast content recorded on Windows® Media Center for Windows Vista® Home Premium or Ultimate, so consumers can sync them onto their Zune and hit the road.4

• Built-in FM radio. With the built-in FM tuner you can listen to your favorite local FM radio stations while you're on the go. Advanced tuning capabilities allow you to see the name of the song and artist currently playing on select frequencies.5
• Import your music. Zune software will automatically import your existing music, pictures and videos, including music you have ripped into iTunes and Windows Media® Player, even transferring your existing playlists and song ratings in one easy step. Some content may be protected by the service you purchased it from, so those files cannot be imported.
• Your games. Your music. Your way. Plug your Zune into your Xbox 360® and customize the soundtrack in your favorite games. You can also stream the music, pictures and videos from the Zune software on your PC to your Xbox 360 console using a wireless connection.
• Accessories. A full line of Zune accessories are available to enhance your experience wherever you are, at home, on the go, in the car or working out.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
*gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/10/zunesandipod.jpg

looks slimmer and thinner ... the design looks much better than the previous 1 .... but the navigation still needs something better to match the touch of the ipods

however now coming to the good part ....

all updates that are being made in the software of zune 2 will be available for zune 1 also ... now thats a company who takes its customers into consideration :)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
alsiladka said:
I hope iPod fanatics dont bash me, but i felt the Black Zune 2 looked better than iPod Touch.
No one is going to bash you but your taste sure sucks! Sorry!

I like whatever little I can see of the software but the hardware design just plain sucks. It's even worse than the previous one.

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
aryayush said:
No one is going to bash you but your taste sure sucks! Sorry!

I like whatever little I can see of the software but the hardware design just plain sucks. It's even worse than the previous one.
Thanx for praise dude.
But can i have a second from you; from my perspective, your taste sucks too!
Two suckers!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@alsiladka:

relax .... anything from any company that competes with apple no matter how good it is it has to suck .... so no point arguing if he said ur taste is good ... rest assured u have a better taste than him coz u have the rationality to consider options other than the ones that have a half eaten apple at its back :)

din

Tribal Boy
Was just checking in google and came across this site

*www.zunecomplaints.net

I think thats enough to start an 'Official Zune Thred' lol. Just like the official iPhone thread, all against Zune etc

And stats too !

Here is a reporting data of MP3 on Roughly Drafted :

1. •Apple 72.7%
2. •Sandisk 8.9%
3. •Microsoft 3.2%
4. •Creative Labs 2.9%
5. •Samsung 2.0%

Not for a Zune - iPod fight ! Just had a laugh comparing the official iPhone thread and the site I mentioned lol.

goobimama

 Macboy
Hahahah! Hohoho! Check out this picture!

*img502.imageshack.us/img502/8498/01425sz1i17106900cs1.jpg
It's like, its showing you how Pictures is going to look selected. Then Movies. Then Music. I mean, they don't think we get the point!

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
iMav definitely doesn't get the point - neither of that picture nor of Milind's post. :lol:

@Milind
Exactly. Never noticed that. :lol: That's seriously dumb. :lol:

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
goobimama said:
Hahahah! Hohoho! Check out this picture!
It's like, its showing you how Pictures is going to look selected. Then Movies. Then Music. I mean, they don't think we get the point!

Hahah! Hohoho! Check out the quoted post. I mean, you really did not get this one?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
oye goobi plz shed some light ...

hohohoh hahahah ... zune gets a new interface ...

dont only click move ur fingers horizontal or vertical .... and it does so .... like in the ipod ur fingers go in circles .... here they go up or down .... take that iJobs

*www.engadget.com/2007/10/03/zune-2-bits-and-pieces-plus-an-in-depth-interface-video/

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
What! No brown zune?! :(

:D

No bad I say..Not bad indeed. A lot of "features" for iMav to use...

- The new players will support lossless audio of the Windows Media variety (don't go screaming FLAC just yet)
- The WiFi is just b/g, so no n, a or x (the sexiest form of WiFi)
- Microsoft is still in the testing phase for battery life and will have numbers "later"
- You can manually sync up the player wirelessly on battery power, but you can't do auto-sync -- you'll need the dock for that action
- All your old accessories are said to work with the new models
- The screens are glass, not plastic
- Green is the new brown... but brown is sticking around on the 30GB models
- You can connect the Zune to an Xbox 360 to create "your own soundtrack"

Last edited:

Sourabh

Laptoping
Some things I liked about the Zune update:

The 30gig version hasn't been discontinued. It gets all the new features. Not sure is there's a work around for easy transfer of files from PC to Zune. But direct support for MPEG4 and H.264 codecs is great. Who likes spending hours waiting for it to convert as you transfer? Not everyone needs 80GB storage space anyways. I don't for sure.

If only these come in India soon after November. At first I considered buying the new iPod Nano for PMP usage. But after using it for some time, I find them very small. Not in my comfort zone. They're very small indeed.

Regarding Zune taking on the new iPod line-up. Me likes the Microsoft way. Pricing it similar to the iPods but offering a few extra features. They could've easily priced it lower that Apple; but they didn't. It almost seems like Microsoft wants iPod buyers to think about 'Why not buy a Zune. It does all that and a bit more for the same price.'

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
the idea behind that is that if its on dock it has power however wen its on battery its left it to u to decide whether u want to start wi-fi or no which i think is very good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom