Your take on Symbian?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Symbian is all time favourate OS of mine....
used it years ago with no complaints while using it...
have used my apps,games etc
ngage was my favourate + coreplayer was awesome too

Sarath

iDota
A faster proc means lower battery life.

My 333mhz N85 S60 showed the same amount of sluggishness as my new 1Ghz Xperia arc does. And did the same things too.

We have enough speed in our pockets. We want that speed for longer now. Better battery life. Sigh!

MatchBoxx

the m0nk who sold his PC!
Wish they had stuck on to meago a little longer.

Lets not even talk about the poor Americans. They cant even switch sim cards.

hahahahahahahahaha! :D
too rightly said! :p

One word: Veteran!

That name has become so stale that even if Apple releases iOS renamed as Symbian OS, people will stay away from it. From what I have seen, those who say bad about Symbian without using OS like iOS or WP7 or android are just following word of mouth and they have no idea that Symbian could very well be more than enough for them.

Had Nokia continued Maemo (about a year or two ago), renamed it to S^4 or what ever and published a note that Symbian is designed from groundup and pushed for the total ecosystem, Stephen Elop would've never made into Nokia now.

looking forward to what Intel does with Meego/Maemo and it's partners, SE, LG

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
No doubt this page is more of users who used only symbian, wanted to see some more open response. I really liked what nokia did with n900. Because of windows 7 they dumped it. SAD!

@harm064 Nice video shared! LIKED IT

Last edited:

ujjwal321

Journeyman
symbian is a good OS IMO... but it's greatest downfall is the lack of improvements in OS... 3 year old 5800 and the recent symbian phones all look the same... it's necessary to be a step ahead in the cut throat mobile OS competition.. good is not enough.. you have to be the best..

But I totally agree with harm.. american media have launched an all out attack on nokia and symbian which looks suspective to me..

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
No doubt this page is more of users who used only symbian, wanted to see some more open response. I really liked what nokia did with n900. Because of windows 7 they dumped it. SAD!

@harm064 Nice video shared! LIKED IT

They dumped it because of lack of direction. Had they continued with Maemo, Microsoft would've never got hold on Nokia.

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
Ya right! you know what i still dont feel they will succeed with Win7. They need to start working on there brand now like Apple and HTC. Enough with cheap phones.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
with Win Phone7 they mayn't have good sale figure but now they no longer need to spend million on developing apps & updating their own OS. so in a way they will make more profit now. full focus on H/W only.

also if they offer vanilla WinPhone7 then it'll be even better. as others (HTC, Samsung, Moto) customizes Android before sending out = wasting more cash.

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
Also if they offer vanilla WinPhone7 then it'll be even better. as others (HTC, Samsung, Moto) customizes Android before sending out = wasting more cash.

That's not called wasting cash... They make the UI more appealing to the end user... which may even lead to increased sales!

HTC Sense is preferred by a large number of people over Vanilla Android..

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
with Win Phone7 they mayn't have good sale figure but now they no longer need to spend million on developing apps & updating their own OS. so in a way they will make more profit now. full focus on H/W only.

also if they offer vanilla WinPhone7 then it'll be even better. as others (HTC, Samsung, Moto) customizes Android before sending out = wasting more cash.

That's not called wasting cash... They make the UI more appealing to the end user... which may even lead to increased sales!

HTC Sense is preferred by a large number of people over Vanilla Android..

Right now, skins like Touchwiz, Sense, Motoblur might seem like a waste of resources and time. We miss out on updates and the skins suck and make phones laggy and drain battery...

But the phone companies are improving their skins rapidly... and they have all begun diverging and becoming better, more unique... Compare the old Touchwiz interface with the new Touchwiz 4... the difference is staggering... Phone companies are learning fast...

IMO, in a couple of years, these skins will become real brands, truely differentiating these phones from each other.

Cheers!

nmenon

Broken In
I've used 3 S60 phones (1 each of S60, S60 v3, S60 v5) In chronological order the Nokia 3230, Nokia 5230 and the C5 all 3 of which are still with me and my parents. I use the 3230 and the 5230. Battery life and the decent multitasking is what ticks the boxes for me. I've used the 5230 and 3230 to download torrents etc and my 3230 is now 4 years old but it still gives me 3-4 days of total battery life with about 1 hour of calling daily. or 5 days if used sparingly. The 5230 is a very trusted companion during my trips b/w Chennai and Cochin. My usage of the 5230 involves 30 min of browsing daily and 30 mins of calls and lasts about 3 days before I've to charge it. For my usage I'd prefer a Nokia smartphone considering the cost (7.2k for the 3230 in May '07 and 8.3k for the 5230 with Data Cable and 4GB mem card in Feb '10). The C5 cost 7.5k in Dec '10 but is a fast responding phone compared to most other phones, with its 600MHz processor also, where else do you get free voice guided navigation for a low(ish) price. For me Nokia still rules.

Shane92

Right off the assembly line
Nokia's always been with symbian since the smartphone era started, i rememeber the first touch phone by nokia 7710, what a beauty, it had a good UI, maybe not to today's standard, if only they had continued the touchcreen UI project which was abandoned by Nokia in early years we've had a different UI, I've used many different symbians, tried all in the s60 and s40 series, simplistic and productive OS, did the job..Symbian has everything,(symbian 3) it has the ability to run HD games, play multi format songs, and now the Os has been even touch optimized, I've never seen better multitasking then symbian's, even though in android, it just suspends, u need advanced task killer or something to kill it, symbian was made as in such a way that the resources are less, and the phone has to use available hardware 50% less..no wonder, it's the most efficient OS in the market, I cannot imagine if we users are gifted with 1.2 ghz procc, Adreno or tegra gpu, the phone would be ultimate, i've used wildfire, and c7 at the same time, android is a power sucker and a battery sucker too, those mid end andro's are not even capable of handling the Os, whereas in symbian 3 or anna, run 3-4 hd games simultaneously, you still won't see any lag or slowness,maybe the UI's outdated, but i guess belle will fix and give the proper attention it's been needing.Qt also has lot of flexibility and power, apps can also be ported, symbian would have been the king of smartphone os's if they had more apps, better UI, and source codes development to community and developers....Let's hope symbian survives, and hails again :)

Top Bottom