Yo Man! hAlf life 2 graphicaly not that great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
DKant said:
But methinx DIII scales better and looks much better @ low res and low settings, provided u meet the min requirements. HL2 on the other hand needs relatively high-end h/w to show its true colours, but needs a lower end sys to begin with.

Like i said before.....hl2's gfx engine is not that Graphic Hungry.....Btw Hl2 on My Nforce 2 Chipset with 256Mb ram at lowest Settings give me a playable 35Fps....and yea Doom 3 refuses to even run on The Same Board....So ya see Doom 3 Engine is highly Marked for High-End hardware compatibilities....plus now it has become a Standard Game for benchmarking Major Gfx cards....as it has the capability to bring even the best Gfx cards to thier knees.....:wink:

DKant

In the zone
Well what I meant was, from the point DIII starts giving acceptable framerates, it scales well. AFAIK.

G

gxsaurav

enoonmai, U R talking much like a formar member Anidex, who bashed NVIDIA & Doom3

Doom3 didn't had any outdoor sceans, reason, U were in a mars base not a hill station, U go out, U die, remember those outdoor sceans which comes when U cross from one lab to other via that pressure lift, that is the most smooth I have ever seen

I have played HL2, the outdoor sceans are really good, but the thing is that since there are no outdoor sceans in D3 U can't say it sux in that, mod maker have clearly stated that HL2 also sux when it comes to indoor sceans, the Zombies in Doom3 were looking like real zombies, slimey bloody but in HL2 the zombies where really bad, no round textures in HL2, & also optimized for ATI,hey Far Cry supports DX 9c compleately still it favours FX more then Radeon 9800 when it comes to quality? Y

The beauty of outdoor sceans of D3 engine can be seen in Doom3 RoE soon in april, alongwith great physics system

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
ctrl_alt_del said:
@tarey: By "shuttering" do you mean the audio-stuttering problem?

both audio and visual , similar prob in vampire bloodlines. and i wud like to mention that doom3 ran very well on my pc at high settings.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
enoonmai said:
but no one has seen what the engine can do when it comes to rendering large outdoor environments. And judging by pretty much every single mod developer out there who says that Doom 3 sucks big time when it comes to rendering outdoor scenes. No other engine except Source and CryEngine can deliver ultra realistic outdoor environments.

Remember,
when u r writing about something that you dont know , u r misguiding people . Read this ........

"The main stereotype that the Doom 3 Engine suffers from, is that it can only render small, cramped inside corridors. This in fact is completely untrue, because the engine is quite capable of rendering big, detailed outside worlds. You will see the outside capabilities of the engine in Quake 4 and it will dramatically change people's perception on what the Doom 3 Engine can do. The Doom 3 engine is more suitable for inside environments though, because of its BSP (Binary Space Partitioning) system for optimizing the graphics engine. The Doom 3 Engine also supports larger textures, which in the future will allow the textures to look even better. The Source Engine is pretty much the opposite. It is more suited for outdoor environments and its inside environments don't look nearly as lifelike or detailed as Doom 3's."

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
Buddy, the same logic applies here too. You are quoting the devlopers. You havent seen the engine render *big outdoor levels*. Yet you agree that Doom 3 engine is capable of doing that, and that too better then the Source engine!
Thanks for misguiding me! :)

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
ctrl_alt_del said:
Buddy, the same logic applies here too. You are quoting the devlopers. You havent seen the engine render *big outdoor levels*. Yet you agree that Doom 3 engine is capable of doing that, and that too better then the Source engine!
Thanks for misguiding me! :)

Abey Jhandoo :wink: , ye koi doom3 ke developers ne nahi kaha hai .

Do you really think that they would have publically mentioned the Source engine in comparison to their own? That would have been inviting a flame war with Valve fans.
This article was at *www.devmaster.net where they hav compared the source and Doom3 engine (and don't tell me u dont know what is devmaster.net is all about :x )

If you want you can find mods that show the power of Doom3 engine while rendering outdoor enviornments.

The Source engine is really good at special effects (water, smoke, fog, warping) and, of course, physics but when it comes to sheer realism and beauty Doom 3 engine is the best, in terms of lightning and shadowing and the deatiled bump mapping.
Admit it, the main reason that HL2 worked better on most systems in comparison to Doom engine (except the stuttering prob) was that the objects in the HL2 world lacked bump mapping and the textures were bland.
HL2 maybe a better game, but here we are comparing the visual appeal of the engines not the game play or the physics.
Anyone who finds the Souce engine (as seen in HL2) more "beautiful" in comparison to the Doom3 engine is visually impaired.

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
tarey_g said:
Abey Jhandoo :wink: , ye koi doom3 ke developers ne nahi kaha hai .

Admit it, the main reason that HL2 worked better on most systems in comparison to Doom engine (except the stuttering prob) was that the objects in the HL2 world lacked bump mapping and the textures were bland.

Buddy, tell me something. Who all meet and discuss things at devlopers.net? Plumbers? Did I ever mention that devlopers ehre reffered to *only* id team?

Secondly, I am yet to come across a Doom 3 mod that will show the *beauty* of the engine in the outdoor levels. If you have tried some, feel free to post some screenies and I will graciously bow to it.

And now for that last bit that had me rolling in laughter. Who in the whole wide world told you that HL2 didnt include bump-mapping? No, seriously, I want to know. Maybe you didnt see any of the bink videos. Or maybe you were not paying attention. Here is something to jog your memory.
*www.beyond3d.com/misc/hl2/

The feature utilisation of DirectX9 with Half Life 2 includes:

* High Dynamic Range
* Bump Mapped Characters and environments
* Soft Shadows
* DX9 Shader utilisation
As for textures, HL2 uses a texture-set, the first of its kind in any game. ( I may have got the term wrong, but you get the drift ). Look at the screenies again and see who should be booking the next appointemnet with the friendly neighbourhood opthalmologist.

Major-Minor

Broken In
@tarey g - Mind telling us which card you are gaming on ?. Probably an Nvidia 5 Series Card which uses the DX.8.1 path.

And about HL-2 not supporting Bump-Mapping, where the hell did you get this info from. Don't just make up statements for the purpose of arguments, please back it up with some solid proof.

Cody and Enoon: - Do you know why Wysicon left Digit forums, check out his posts and you'll know why.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
@major-minor....ur right Hl2 does use bump mapping on its raw technology just that its not that heavy on it compared to Doom 3....but it sure does make up for that by the increase in Polygon count and detailed textures without loss of performance :wink:

@tarey_g.....first off where did ya get that info from that Hl2 didnt support bump mapping from mate?????? Btw the main reason it worked far better on the system was simly beacuse it didnt tend to stress out on the increased effect of bump mapping as compared to Doom 3's engine also beacuse half life 2 used the soft shadow approach for its Shadowing....So it wasnt that Graphic hungry as Doom 3....but the overall Physics,AI and Animation has to go hands up with Hl2....but hey come on we aint going all that Fanboyish on this games here.....Btw the next time plzzz be a little respective and try and answer in a calmer way mate :wink:

Now @cody Enoo And Major-minor.....mind telling me whats going on here and who is this Wysicon person....cause have been listening his name since 2 days now!!!! :?
Also i did some resarch on u guys and Boy u ppl do go down a long history at Skoar and Enoo Dude Hats of to ur posts....how in the world do u find time to type so lengthy messages and that too for each and every post????? :lol: So now can i know if u are an American or Not???? cause cody didnt wanna convey it to me i guess :wink:

Peace Ppl :D

Major-Minor

Broken In
@allwyndlima - To know about Wysicon, check out the posts of Anidex here at Digit Forums.

About enoon, well he is 100% Indian and a Bangalorean at that.

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
@allwyn: LOL, not that I didnt want to tell you. I just wanted Enoo to tell you that himself but guess he missed the thread. Yes, he is 100% Indian as Major said and a Banglorean at that.

Him, me, Major have known each other for quite some time and are great pals. Infact there a few more from Skoar! here like Arachnid but guess he is too busy to post in other forums nowadays.

As for Prof (thats enoomai) long posts, as Arachnid likes to say, "has will, will type!". If you really want to see his "will" you should visit the the time travel thread on Skoar! sometime. Believe me, no where else would you find one single post so informative! Really, hats off to Prof! :)

And Anidex is known as Wyscion on the Skoar! forums. He is a master when it comes to CG andinfact has won many graphics related contests too. He is popular as our Skoar!s very own Carmack. Hope that clears your doubts.

And with tarey, its fun to sometime spar on issues like this. Though I assure that all is in good faith and never meant to hurt anyone in anyway. As you say....Peace!

@Major: Yup buddy, I had gone through his posts the last time I joined Digit forum before having my account deleted for prolonged inactivity. :)

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
@cody and major.....well then nice to have ya ppl out here too.....but the flames just erupt here in an instant.....i couldnt believe the flames that had gone in the Fanatics VS Nvidiots thread....boy that oughta really taen a lot for anidex to handle cause as far as i read it he was really overshadowed by many Nvidia fanboys.....but still the point being that these stupid fanboy wars are always a big pain in the :roll: they always reck a lotta mess behind :twisted:

Btw should admire u bangloreans being that calm in ur posts.....man takes hell a lot of patience to go through all this flames and then answer back.....so what more can i say but well lets just all try and stay outta trouble and possibly have a good time out here on this forum 8)

Also not to forget Enoo dude seriously u almost had me fooled there for a sometime but grt to know ur from our very own India :D Grt Vocab and Good Sense of explanations.....So HATSS offf too all of ya from skoar :wink: Sorry Digit aint being partial but good stuff needs to be appreciated so no offence......PEACE :D

(P.S:Just one more thing i oughta call it a quits on this Hl2 and Doom 3 Comparing as dun wanna start another Doom 3 VS HL2 Flammin out here :wink:)

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
ctrl_alt_del said:
And now for that last bit that had me rolling in laughter. Who in the whole wide world told you that HL2 didnt include bump-mapping? No, seriously, I want to know.

:shock: What the ...............OMG how foolish.haha. When i said "objects in the HL2 world lacked bump mapping and the textures were bland" i ment in comparision to Doom3 . How can one think of a advanced engine like of HL2 not supporting bump mapping,Funny . Everyone here just followed one guy who writes b4 he thinks and reads carefully.

Secondly, i hav posted earlier in this forum abt a outdoor level designed in Doom3 engine and also posted some screens . The topic was named "Half life on doom3" in which some planetdoom forum member used hl2 textures to make a level using Doom3 engine. I searched that topic in forum but i was not able to find it(mods the search needs to be improved ). I will search the topic on planetdoom forum and will post the screens soon.

ctrl_alt_del said:
the same logic applies here too. You are quoting the devlopers. You havent seen the engine render *big outdoor levels*. Yet you agree that Doom 3 engine is capable of doing that, and that too better then the Source engine!
People belonging to the catagory 'developers' and according to u lying about some engine can only be the creators of that very engine(so here u ment id what else). Some other developer will not make false comments abt a engine.
ctrl_alt_del said:
Buddy, tell me something. Who all meet and discuss things at devlopers.net? Plumbers? Did I ever mention that devlopers ehre reffered to *only* id team?

So this means u don't trust the word of experienced developers. If they are saying something abt some certain engine, it can't be wrong.

and yes allwyn and major-minor , i never said that source does not support bump mapping(yaar i can't stop laughing) ctrl_alt_del flamed this one.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
ctrl_alt_del said:
And with tarey, its fun to sometime spar on issues like this. Though I assure that all is in good faith and never meant to hurt anyone in anyway. As you say....Peace!

same here :D

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
ctrl_alt_del said:
Secondly, I am yet to come across a Doom 3 mod that will show the *beauty* of the engine in the outdoor levels.

For ur viewing pleasure , Hexen:Edge of caos a mod based on doom 3 engine has some pretty cool outdoor levels ,although the mod development is in early stages but still they have come out with some screens . These look okay, but think of a dedicated game (not mod) based on doom 3 engine made by some professional gaming company will be able to show the real beauty and capability of the engine. by the time enjoy these screenies. The 'mod' is work of wannabe professionals so don't compare the screenshots of this mod with a 'game' made by professionals.

*img197.exs.cx/img197/9065/shot000113kd.jpg
*img197.exs.cx/img197/8927/shot000093ks.jpg
*img197.exs.cx/img197/4971/shot000100zh.jpg

more on *www.planetdoom.com/edgeofchaos

ctrl_alt_del said:
If you have tried some, feel free to post some screenies and I will graciously bow to it.

Time to do somthing u promised :lol:

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
I was unaware of such a mod. So I admit I was wrong there. But beauty? Gimme a break. Let it be complete and then we can see if its really a beauty. Right now I wont like to say anything about the *beauty* aspect of it. I had said, "If you had tried some"! But its not out yet. Show me something that you have played urself and found *beautiful*!

As for the bump mapping thing, you said this:

Statement 1:
Admit it, the main reason that HL2 worked better on most systems in comparison to Doom engine was that the objects in the HL2 world lacked bump mapping and the textures were bland.

Statement 2:
When i said "objects in the HL2 world lacked bump mapping and the textures were bland" i ment in comparision to Doom3

First you say that HL2 lacks bump-mapping. Now that means HL2 doesnt have bump-mapping. Then you go on and say, you meant it as a comparison? How can you compare something with Doom 3 in the second statement when you yourself has said that it doesnt exist in the first statement???!!! Rotfl!

Seriously, this discussion is getting weird. OK, I might have posted before I thought or read the post, then how come the rest agree with that too! And to think it took you three posts to reply to one of mine! Now hos is posting before reading? Admit a mistake when you make one. If you cant, well then there is no use discussing it with you.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
When i said "objects in the HL2 world lacked bump mapping and the textures were bland" i ment in comparision to Doom3

This is what we were doing here. WE WERE DEBATING AND COMPARING THE VISUAL APPEARENCE OF DOOM 3 AND HL2. obviously i was comparing it with doom 3.

ctrl_alt_del said:
But beauty? Gimme a break. Let it be complete and then we can see if its really a beauty. Right now I wont like to say anything about the *beauty* aspect of it.

And these screens as i said (if u have read this time) look ok ,not outstanding and pls read this if u have skipped this too ...

tarey_g said:
These look okay, but think of a dedicated game (not mod) based on doom 3 engine made by some professional gaming company will be able to show the real beauty and capability of the engine

pls read CAREFULLY an then post .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom