Yahoo Archive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him007

Journeyman
Hi,
I generally use Yahoo messenger to communicate to my office staff, that's why I enabled archive option to save all of my messages.
But yesterday I checked in program files folder that all the Archive has been creating in the .dat format.
Is it secure or not? may be in my absence somebody will try to read all of my conversations?
Suggest me
Regards,
Himanshu

royal

Padawan
generally one has to login to yahoo messenger to read the archive but there are softwares out there which can read archive messages without login 8) they only need the.dat files stored in the computer :cry: so I guess your messages are not realy safe :twisted:

eddie

El mooooo
If you want to be completely sure that no one can read your logs, it is better to encrypt them regularly and delete the unencrypted files. When ever you need to read them...decrypt. No other solution that I can see is available.

Nimda

l33t n00b!
Reading your archived conversations is a piece of cake once you have the required tool - and it's very easy to find it too, thanx to google. A solution would be to use an alternate IM manager like Trillian or Gaim, but AFAIK, Trillian because it stores conversations in plain text format. lol. So try out a few other IM tools and see if they work.

Otherwise, follow eddie's advice and go for the encrypt and remove routine.

champ_rock

champ_rock
i think that copying ur important conversations to txt file...... then to a zip file and then encrypting it is a much better option....

also, if posible, gmail chat stores the conversations in your account itself.. u can try that out too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom