XP and Linux queries...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gauravakaasid

Back to l33ching :)
i have two HDDs, both 160gigs, one PATA and the other SATA. will be booting from the SATA disk, and will use the PATA for storage. Here are my questions -
1>can i have two Win XP installations on the SATA disk on two different partitions? one installation will be used by my family, this will have all the necessary apps for everyday requirement. The other installation will be only used by me, this will be a test bed for new apps and beta versions, and other non-mainstream apps.(so even in case i screw up, the other installation can be used, after editing the boot file)
2>in XP, if i have utorrent running, and log off from my account, can other users still use the net?
3>i want to dual boot between XP and Linux, but in case i screw up while using Linux, can i still access XP? this is important for me since i download all my stuff in Windows.

so u see, what i actually need is XP+XP+Linux booting, with the first XP installation accessible at all times. Is this possible??

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
1. Yes sure, you can do this job as simply as installing windows on a new partition, will show up in the boot menu too.

2. Sure, why not? The net applies globally to the OS unless you restrict it via Services.msc or the registry maybe.

3. To get back XP's boot screen anyway from linux, all you have to do is boot up with the XP Disc, enter Recovery Console and type 'Fixmbr'

OP
gauravakaasid

gauravakaasid

@QwertyManiac....how do my family members differentiate between the two installations? is there any way i can add aliases to the installation names?

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Yes! U can rename the existing entries in Boot menu, by editing C:\Boot.ini file ;)
This file will be HIDDEN & READ-ONLY :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
If you will install linux then install grub bootloader on the MBR. In grub you can give the entries descriptive names so that you can differenciate. eg
Windows XP - Test
Windows XP - Everyday Use
You can give any such name that is good enough to know which one is which.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
gauravakaasid said:
@QwertyManiac....how do my family members differentiate between the two installations? is there any way i can add aliases to the installation names?

Example
:
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

change that bold to

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Most stupidest OS ever." /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Done :)

OP
gauravakaasid

gauravakaasid

QwertyManiac said:
change that bold to

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Most stupidest OS ever." /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Done :)

LOL*myweb.tiscali.co.uk/dirtbox/pics/muttley.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.