XBMC : Open Media Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in context of Windows PC, what is it:confused: a new media player or just a tinker toy? In any of the case, where to get it?
use the SVN client :p

And its originally designed for the Xbox. So it must kompile on Windows too. Though kompared to linux, performance will sucK.

Pat

Beyond Smart
Thirdly, I agree Ubuntu Ultimate Edition may not be upto it, but one can NEVER insult Linux Mint. Its not just Ubuntu + Codecs. If prakash wants to see "proper" mint, let him see the light edition. Linux Mint light vs Ubuntu Main will show that Linux Mint wins. Why ? Because its just easier to use, Feels more comfortable, and has an excellent set of themes. Its the greenish mint look, mint wallpapers, mint themes, mint menu and the mint tools that make linux mint what it is. Infact, after using lots of, and I mean lots of distros, I can safely say Mint appears to be the most friendly to use distro ever designed. In My Openion, linux mint is something like "the way ubuntu should have been".

Please explain the difference between Linux Mint and Ubuntu Ultimate Edition (apart from the few tools that Mint has created)

And one must not forget that there DO exist other great desktop distros as well. Sidux is IMO the best desktop for a non beginner to intermediate stage user. PCLinuxOS is an excellent newbie distro, which is a classic example of a RED HAT based distro which uses .deb instead of .rpm . Slackware is the best example of linux at its sweet best. Vector Linux is the best light weight distro which still manages to offer great tools for nearly everything.

Errr...What ? PCLinuxOS uses .deb ? :D

The reason many people like prakash (and me) are happy with debian sid is mainly this: Its pefect for lazy bones. Daily updates, everything automated, and a rolling release, so no need to use a CD to reinstall OS when new version comes out. And its light and has vast repositories. This makes it a perfect canditate for most people.

If I am not mistaken one of the main reasons why you quit ubuntu was that it was too "simple" for an expert like you..Now you are saying exactly the opposite!

First you say you need to hand-configure everything as you are an expert and then you ask for a GUI tool to update your fstab or grub (dont remember what thread it was)

Are you sure of what you need ? :p

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
So where to download it from coz the link given in the thread starter's post had no "Download" option :(
From the homepage mentioned in the first post: *xbmc.org/

Direct link here: *sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=87054&package_id=260464&release_id=585323

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom