Without ads, Android apps could be more than twice as power-efficient!!

OP
dashing.sujay

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
On a serious note,Google should screen Android market more rigidly before creating hype on jellybean or whatever..it has become a junk yard.

One day it will be quantity Vs quality (Android Vs iOs).

thats not true always.
what if i block app by firewall .
what if the device has host file changed to localhost .

Nope, the inbuilt ads will still try to access and consume the resources.

OP
dashing.sujay

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
yes but firewall can block them

Mate, the firewall will just block "network access", it won't stop the threads from doing their task. Let me explain, you can stop automatic updates of an antivirus, but can't the program itself to "attempt" that.

Take it like, if there doesn't exits any tower then does the phone stops searching from network, given that you don't change automatic mode. (there is no manual mode in apps)

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
What he means is, are the ads built into apps or hosted somewhere else..??

Well, it works just like google adwords in your webpages. You just need to put the script, google will automatically put ads.

Otherwise there are many apps for which authors make ads as static, what I mean is, they provide ad for some other apps of them.

OP
dashing.sujay

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Of course the ads are in built as a part of that app, just consider it a feature. And why you can't remove it? Can you remove a feature of any app until and unless you edit its source code? (don't say resource hacker)

Mate, the firewall will just block "network access", it won't stop the threads from doing their task. Let me explain, you can stop automatic updates of an antivirus, but can't the program itself to "attempt" that.

Take it like, if there doesn't exits any tower then does the phone stops searching from network, given that you don't change automatic mode. (there is no manual mode in apps)

This.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
@Sam It's ok.

@dashing.sujay Well we can block ads using Adblock. The idea behind it is same as in PC. Adding the ads URL to hostsfile so that they don't get connected to Internet.

But static ads will work in that case. Those can't be blocked I guess.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent

Ya i understand that.But those threads hardly drain any power attempting for data.

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
WTF is a RE-KNOWN dev?
On a serious note,Google should screen Android market more rigidly before creating hype on jellybean or whatever..it has become a junk yard.
LOL, crap... damn Spelling mistakes. I meant 'renowned', but whatever. :)

On another note, there are many who are in favor of having a app submission process like Apple App Store ( 2 week submission time for even an update )
but I support the current process. Though Google should review the apps internally more frequently.
someone please clarify this: are apps ads built in or they are hosted somewhere?
Most 'Ad Services' provide a special type of view and support library ( a .jar file mostly) which can be used to add the view in your app and it automatically calls ads with respect to your API key which you get when registering with the service. So they are not essentially part of your app. Run in a separate thread. I haven't used one so far but this is what I know for this. :p

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Most 'Ad Services' provide a special type of view and support library ( a .jar file mostly) which can be used to add the view in your app and it automatically calls ads with respect to your API key which you get when registering with the service. So they are not essentially part of your app. Run in a separate thread. I haven't used one so far but this is what I know for this. :p

thanks. confusion cleared :razz:

Top Bottom