Wireless help, whats the range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Hi

I got the dataone wireless modem today and my laptop has a 802.11 b/g wireless lan card. I read that the range of the wireless network is 100mtr. indoors but the signal strength drops down to very low or the net disconnects when 25 feet from the modem in next room? Is this the case with all modems or mine is a special one?

Please help me!
Aditya

Hey! Please help me. If the range is too less then I am going to return the modem! Please Please Please! Help me! it's 2000/-.

Aditya

Last edited:

bukaida

In the zone
I am doing quite fine with c100 lappy with the black data one modem(cost Rs.1200/= from BSNL)in wireless mode.Even at the roof top the signal strength is excellent(50 mtrs).Inside the different rooms on the same floor also gives the signal strength excellent. May be you have to manually reboot the modem by pressing it with a pin in the reboot hole.BTY donot connect usb or lan cables to the modem while in wireless mode.

krish

Journeyman
Not related to the post... but can u pls tell me the steps to connect to that modem through WiFi and browse the internet?? I have Compaq presario laptop with the config in my sig. I am using Windows XP SP2. I can use the connection without any problem through the desktop. But I want to access the internet on WiFi through the modem.

Thanks
krish

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Thank you

I have not connecte any cable exept for the tiliphone and the power cable to the modem, still only ouside the room when you shut a wooden door the signal goes down to low. If I taje the modem out then the signal reaches 25 feet max. The signal strength remains low after 15 feet. The bsnl modem cost me 2000/-. Why?

Aditya

bukaida

In the zone
My ADSL model is WA 1003A, black colour from BSNL and cost me 1200/=. I have checked with my other friends and the price is same.
@ krish- follow this link *www.calcuttatelephones.com/dataoneinstall/bb008.html

krish

Journeyman
thanks a lot bukaida..... but according to the insructions on that link, it seems that through *192.168.1.1 ..... we are trying to access the modem. But is it necessary that the ip of all the modems is the same?? And also will the username and password be admin admin always??

bukaida

In the zone
Yes, Since the link is activated through your phoneline only , it will be same for everyone(At least in Kolkata region).They are using the technique known as subnet masking which enables you to provide same private ip to multiple machines. Just give a try for the same in your region.Password and username will be admin.

Brave_Hunt

Journeyman
aditya.shevade, As far as my knowledge about Wi-Fi it takes Wi-Fi adapter if your modem is 802.11 b/g then make sure your adapter supports it also the range problem normely occures when your wireless stuff is downstair somewhere and your room is upstair somwhere in this case get the modem to upstair somewhere close to your room. And check if it works properly. The problem you metioned is very rare case all my fellas who are using Wireless modem using it properly and they haven't mentioned any problem like this. For any further assitence I'd strongly recommend you to go to your local BSNL office and discuss about this matter and change/return the modem if necessary as soon as possible.

Last edited:
OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
@ Brave Hunt.

I don't know the type of the modem cause no manual was provided with it.

My laptop has the wi-fi adaptor 802.11 b/g.

The problem stated above still continues. :-(

Aditya

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
@ Brave Hunt

Thanks man. I will do that. I have been having all kinds of problems. Whenever I go downstairs (My modem is on 2nd floor) when there is no wall in between, the signal level goes down to very low = 1Mbps. I MUST contact bsnl personel.

Aditya

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
^^^
if u want the a wireless modem which gives a huge range go for net gear or dlink modem.also the modem costs
the wireless model is available in two types
type II-1800
typeIV-2000
so its no 1200
check here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom