windows O.S

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajasekharan

Youngling
can someone please tell me which o.s is the best............?
i dont want looks .... just the functionality

in my oppinion the only strong competition is between win 200 and win xp

i prefer win 2000 cause of its minimal size ...just 700 mb ...and does all the functions what do u guys think....

if u guys think that win 2000 is better pls help me in how to make that o.s perform good (like tweak)....

pls tell me how to conduct a poll for it.....i love everyones opp.

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
windows 2k = NT 5.0
windows XP = NT 5.1
windows 2k3 server= NT 5.2
(both XP and server 2k3 r minor enhancements to original code base of NT 5.0)

Xp is a just "modified win 2k", and comes with 64-bit support (x64 editions)
Better stick to windows XP + SP2...if u need it as a server, get server 2k3 enterprise ed.

PS: If u wanna tweak the looks, try TuneUp styler to change bootscreens and visual styles, or try windowBlinds, or Look for Vishal Gupta's tut on "Files to be modified using Resource Hacker (reg Tweaks) in the tuts section :)

Last edited:
OP
rajasekharan

rajasekharan

Youngling
@MysticHalo.........thanks a lot mate...:)
looks like the win2000 is far better in your opinion.... i always liked 2K....
i have one more qusetion .... is 2K light on system resources (also manage resources efficiently), or is it xp?
hey, so u tell me that i can change the boot screen of 2k to look like XP..with animation ?....is it possible..:?

kumarmohit

Technomancer
rajasekharan said:
i have one more qusetion .... is 2K light on system resources (also manage resources efficiently), or is it xp?
hey, so u tell me that i can change the boot screen of 2k to look like XP..with animation ?....is it possible..:?

going by minimum sysreq Win2000 is lighter that WinXP and if you can avoid WinXPs eyecandy you shud go for Win2k but if you have HW decent for WinXP i wud always recommend WinXP because of features like inbuilt firewall etc Win2000 is recommended on the other hand if you want near Xp functionality but have lower hardware...

OP
rajasekharan

rajasekharan

Youngling
well ...i am not interested in visual styles....except the load screen u get for xp...thats all....i prefer the classical look...its light on resourse....

i use 3dmax alot ....so i dont use any that consumes resource....

my present configuration is...p4 1.8, 1.5gb ram, fx 5200, .... i bought it two years back... and i will change it in a few months...as of now i am waiting for the athlon x2 , as this will lower the price of 939 processors.. and i can change them...:)

comming back ...i only like to change the loading screen of 2k so that it looks like xp screen with the animated bar running underneath....:)

i use xp and 2k .....
i have nod32 and zonealarm for protection .....
and i prefer a lot working in 2k as i like it a lot...but just wanted to confirm if its a bad O.S or not...

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
rajasekharan said:

No...when did i say win 2k is better??? XP is certainly better and more prevalent these days. But depends on ur needs..there isnt much major differnce(same code base). Xp is a safer bet , and u'll have to install only 2 Service Packs rather than 3 for win2k, plus the updates r more regular. They both will use almost same system resources...though 2k maybe a bit lighter,but then...with the kind of sys config u have...it doesnt make much difference. If u really wanna improve performnace with 3dsm, u shud get a new vid card such as ATi x850 PE 256 MB or higher.
Anyways, here's a boot screen modifer guide for Xp and 2k-> *www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/25797/25797.html
I dunno abt getting the animation thing onto 2k..havent used it yet :p

OP
rajasekharan

rajasekharan

Youngling
@MysticHalo.........sorry that i interpreted your thoughts in a worng way, my apologies,

regarding the graphic card, i always believe that FIRE GL is the best for max...what your oppinion

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
rajasekharan said:
regarding the graphic card, i always believe that FIRE GL is the best for max...what your oppinion
ATi Fire GL is for workstations..not for desktop PCs...its more than u need..1 GB mem.
Whats ur budget?And do u need for desktop PC or Workstation?

OP
rajasekharan

rajasekharan

Youngling
as stated above my current config. is p4 1.9 (currection req . in top), 5200 fx , and 1.5 gb ram, the thing is i will be upgrading the pc in a month , so i would like to know how much it wil cost for a graphic card that is solely dedicated for 3d applications (max, maya,lightwave...)
i did hear that the "quodra" series from nvidia is good.. and also the "firegl"

i would want to know the cost of midrange cards from that series (nvidia , ati) ... also pls suggest me ...which one is better?...is any of these cards available under 15k or so

friend_sunit

Broken In
I would also like to mention Linux as an important OS in today's world. I think most of the big companies use Linux and would prefer an employee who is good at Linux.

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
rajasekharan said:
i would want to know the cost of midrange cards from that series (nvidia , ati) ... also pls suggest me ...which one is better?...is any of these cards available under 15k or so

Ati- X850 PE (without SM 3.0 but more powerful)
Nvidia- 7600GT (with SM 3.0)
I prefer ATi X850

Also, choose a 256 MB version.
BTW, does ur mobo have a PCIe slot?????

OP
rajasekharan

rajasekharan

Youngling
@MysticHalo .....thanks mate...:)....i will begin the hunt...:),
well regarding the M/B it does not matter , i am gonna upgrade the system...:)

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Windows XP has got some advanced features that are not present in Windows 2000. If you want to stick to Win 2000 , you can. XP is better any day.

OP
rajasekharan

rajasekharan

Youngling
well ....as for the application that i use are...itunes, winrar, mediaplayer, photoshop cs 2,3dmax 7, maya 6.5, cinema4d, nod 32, zonealarm, firefox, opera, .... i guess thats it.. although i am not infront of the comp .. i cant remeberer the other things ... but this basically covers all....
i think win 2000 can handle all these applications well... i use xp too....only for some games ... i am no gaming fan but i am a HUGE HUGE fan of
"morrowind" and "neverwinter nights series" , and GTA once in a while...thats my gaming ...
so i guess they can be run in win 2000
the only thing that i run in win2000 is Black&White 1, .....(i used to , nut not any more... its been almost 3 years that i have been playing morrowind , and 2 years since neverwinter nights... so black and white is very less...:), anyways there ends my games , ..)

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Hmm I saw your HW config and also consider tha sw you use and considering that you will be upgrading your PC I recommend that you get Wix Xp X64 if you get a 64 bit Processor how ever if you are only upgrading Gfx Card WinXP is better..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom