Windows not reachable!!

buddyram

New Voyage
Seeing the fasttrack on Ubuntu my eyes lit up, that to in the 10th Anniversary Issue, i was amazed to fulfil my longtime desire of working on Linux-based OS!

Firstly, I installed the Digit OS(Ubuntu 11.04) given with this month's DVD by burning the iso file into an empty DVD. Ubuntu got installed successfully.

I looked around for some of options in Ubuntu and later i restarted the system to get to the windows. I was amuzed to see that there was no option to get into the Windows OS, i don't know what went wrong. When I power On the Switch, it directly goes into the Ubuntu, Now it is troubling me too much. I need to get back to Windows ASAP coz i am new to Ubuntu, i am not familiar with these applications.

I am learning PHP, so simultaneously i was working on few course programs in Notepad++, along with the C++ programs on Turbo C++ Editor for my exams. Now everything has stopped.

I dont have much time now! I need the assistance at the earliest.

Lastly, I want retain Ubuntu with Windows. and can i have an alternative app in Ubuntu to work on C++ programs temporarily till i get into Windows.

Could anyone fix the bug soon.
Thanx in Advance.

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
Agreed!
@buddyram: Why did you made two threads. One here one in open source one?
Now regarding your problem. Can you detail how did you installed the os. Give the proper step by step detail as the problem might be due to installation procedure.
OFF TOPIC:
@zangetsu: Can threads once created be deleted?

sygeek

Technomancer
Either you have deleted the Windows boot loader or you have deleted the entire Windows partition. There is an application in Ubuntu called GParted, open it and see if your Windows Partition still exists. If it does, report back and we'll help you further.

Also, Please mention the steps you took.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
Assuming you have only one HDD

1. open the partition manager(most probably gParted) in ubuntu and get the device name for the partition where your windows bootloader was installed. Its the partition that has hidden system files like NTLDR,boot.ini,etc in its root. the device name is usually like /dev/sda1 or something like that. Let that number at the end of the device name be 'x'.

2. open terminal, type sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
add the following to the end

title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,x-1)
makeactive
chainloader +1

replace the 'x' with that number.

save and reboot

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^there is no menu.lst in Grub 2 version

Most probably you have deleted the windows bootloader or the partition.

You can try this command to automatically detect any existing windows parition and adding their entry to GRUB 2 menu at boot up

sudo update-grub

OP
buddyram

buddyram

New Voyage
First of all sorry friends, my intention was not to create spam as i made two posts. I made it in order to get the response sooner. thats it. there is nothing else than that.

Coming to the bug:
Before this Ubuntu version(11.04), i had an old version of Ubuntu(not sure about the version), so when i installing the latest version it asked for confirmation "Whether to delete the previous version". I selected it. and rest everything i followed the same procedure which was guided in the fasttrack.

I am able to see the Windows (C:)drive in Ubuntu and all the files in it, windows files are not deleted it is safe. But i am not able to get into Windows while booting.

I feel like i am in a different planet now being in Ubuntu.

Please guide me how to boot to Windows alongside i want to retain the Ubuntu as well.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I feel like i am in a different planet now being in Ubuntu.

:rofl: at that dude!... another planet.... :-D

Btw, have you tried steps provided above?

And PS, this is the only reason, that I am afraid to install Ubuntu as dual boot with my windows! :(

OP
buddyram

buddyram

New Voyage
@vineet: Still i am enjoying the feel of Ubuntu coz i am posting these threads from Ubuntu OS!!

As far steps to rectify the booting issue, i didn't try anything as just a while ago i posted a problem with more info. I have also mailed the issue to sos@thinkdigit.com, i got the reply from them also. Now i am thinking which way to go to resolve the issue!!

OP
buddyram

buddyram

New Voyage
@nims11: yes i tried faun's method. Nothing changed!

plz check the screenshot...

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^your bootloader for win 7 seems to be okay, restart pc and try booting into win 7

Also move this thread to open source section, you will get more replies.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
And PS, this is the only reason, that I am afraid to install Ubuntu as dual boot with my windows! :(
SO when you hear about accidents of bus/train/plain etc., you get afraid to travel? :p

It's rare case a dual boot setup causes problem and usually it's due to the user's own carelessness. Go ahead dude, try Wubi if you are really conservative that will be nothing more than installing any app in Windows.

@nims11: yes i tried faun's method. Nothing changed!

plz check the screenshot...

I can see Windows being detected. Try rebooting and select it to boot up.

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
You can try hiren's boot cd. Boot with it then manage the boot sector. It has got the tools.link- Download Hiren’s BootCD 14.0 | HBCD Fan & Discussion Platform

OP
buddyram

buddyram

New Voyage
Yesterday i could resolve the issue.

After entering the sudo commands, i had to repair the startup error from the bootable Windows DVD.

Sos@thinkdigit team helped me to resolve this.

Thanks to everyone who gave their inputs!

Top Bottom