Windows, IE lose web share to Mac OS X, Linux, Safari, Firefox, iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobimama

 Macboy
Personally, I don't know. I mean, if a Mac server can power a site like Apple.com, I don't see why it won't be ideal in other conditions. But then again, what do I know, I'm a Mac user.

Personally, I don't know. I mean, if a Mac server can power a site like Apple.com, I don't see why it won't be ideal in other conditions. But then again, what do I know, I'm a Mac user.
simple answer:
who in their right mind would want to make the PC he bought thats so good looking and highly expensive, with lots and lots of eyecandy and suits like iLife which can entertain you for ages, into a server ?

goobimama

 Macboy
Xserve | Mac OS X Server

This reminds me of a conversation I had with someone the other day. She mentioned that she was having trouble starting the Apache web server on Linux. Some DUTK or something like had to be configured and it wasn't responding (exact words might vary). Then I mentioned how one starts the Apache web server on a Mac...

Xserve | Mac OS X Server

This reminds me of a conversation I had with someone the other day. She mentioned that she was having trouble starting the Apache web server on Linux. Some DUTK or something like had to be configured and it wasn't responding (exact words might vary). Then I mentioned how one starts the Apache web server on a Mac...
ah the usual... people trying to use linux without knowing how it works always end up like that :lol: Once you figure out how it works, things will be a breeze.

I am more comfortable on Ubuntu than in windows xp now. Infact, my windows XP got damaged beyond repair by another of those zillion odd bugs/viruses. It only works in safe mode. But I am tooo lazy to reinstall it, despite obtaining SP3, nLite, Drivers, and other tools needed to install it.

Have you ever wondered how easy it is to install a Mac ? Absolutely no drivers ? The same thing happens with linux for me. But windows is hell I say you. Try installing it once and you, who are used to the ease offered by a mac, will suicide. It doesnt even have a non interactive mode so that we can click a few options and be done, and go and have some fun outside while it installs.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
@gowtham:dont make goobi come into heat.you will feel sorry for later :)) cats can be dangerous.

chandru.in

In the zone
No doubt IE is losing market share. My recent experience at work said it all. CSS in IE (6 & 7) sucks big time. What worked flawlessly with FF (2&3) and Opera (highly standards compliant) kept failing on IE. Lost one whole day in debugging it to make it work on that crappy browser (client wants IE and FF compatibility).

The page itself was very complex. Plenty of dynamically generated DIVs with absolute positioning using dynamic CSS along with plenty of real-time AJAX based DnD.

If it was not for IE, I'd have moved on doing something more creative.:x Sorry IE fans, but the torture I experienced due to that crap was massive.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Well, Safari & FF render my site in a mess on Windows & Ubuntu respectively. IE 6 is not good, 7 & 8 work like a charm.

chandru.in

In the zone
Could you please check whether your site complied with W3C standard CSS? Also, did it have all those dynamically generated and absolutely positioned DIVs along with AJAX based real-time DnD of objects within the screen?

Yes a page designed only for IE without other browsers in mind would not work on other browsers because IE is the only browser which deviates from web standards to such a huge degree. Please don't fight on this too. I said it from my experience on the previous day at work.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ Wordpress theme, a theme designed by someone else was coded for all browsers, but there were poblems, I had to manually change a lot of code with my very limited knowledge of html & absolutely 0 knowledge of CSS.

No. It is not W3C compliant, if you are referring to the site that checks it and tells you where the errors are. I tried a couple of other Wordpress based sites, they too weren't compatible so left it.

IE 8 renders sites as FF or Opera, try the beta. Personal experience, a horrible 1 trying to make sites look the same on safari, ff,IE & Opera.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
that is the problem.IE dont follow standards atleast until IE8; that too not fully standard compliant.this makes www a bad place for other browser users,when sites are optimized for IE.
even for that matter ,firefox3 fails acid3 with around 71/100 :D
@chandru:try epiphany-webkit ;) It works for me in Debian!

chandru.in

In the zone
@iMav

No it is not about the validation site. I just meant if the CSS was written as per the standards at W3C site.

Well since you accepted you do not know about CSS, I'll leave it at this. But for me making the page work well on FF and Opera was a breeze only IE was a pain. Even the Javascript used for showing tooltips worked smoother with the two than IE 6/7.

IE 8, hmmm... I heard a lot about compliance in it. Let me wait till our client demands IE 8 compliance wihtout IE 6/7 compliance before commenting on it.

goobimama

 Macboy
True that. One first makes a site in Firefox (in my case Safari), and then has to figure out workarounds for IE. Always the case. And while IE 7 has increased in usage, it is pretty much equal to IE 6 users. Not that IE 7 solves all the problems, it is only marginally better than IE 6.

chandru.in

In the zone
AFAIK, Safari is supposed to be ACID compliant. Will check my old page (without IE fixes) on the one single Mac system (for a customer wanting Safari compliance on Mac OS X) at our office and post how it goes here.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Once Vista increases IE7 users will increase, the thing is that a lot of people are on XP and 6 is default there. IE 8 has media hype around it so it's acceptance will not be based on 7's release or success.

goobimama

 Macboy
AFAIK, Safari is supposed to be ACID compliant. Will check my old page (without IE fixes) on the one single Mac system (for a customer wanting Safari compliance on Mac OS X) at our office and post how it goes here.
Safari for Windows uses the same Webkit engine. So pages render identically on both systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom