Windows 98 Live CD Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Lets start a Win 98 Live CD project.......... Any infos, links, questions, suggestions are welcome................... I'll post what I do everyday............. and I think I'll be successful one damn day................

OP
K

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
rajas700 said:
Creating live cd from 98 cd is not a legal one.Already a topic gone ahead.

I dont think creating and using it for home use is illegal, of ourse if you have a license.............................

Lets not care what is legal, nothing says it is illegal.......... so lets proceed........

OP
K

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
ra_rav said:
:) we can just use syslinux (open source software) allows to create bootable cds lets try.l
Oh, we are trying to make a Windows 98 SE Live CD, not Linux Bootable CD.............. Anyways, lets continue

OP
K

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Ok, lets start..................

I dont wanna risk it. so I'm gonna first try it in a Virtual Machine.......... MS-Virtual Machine will do just fine but I'm gonna use VMware Workstation 5.......... I didn't buy it but I highly recommend you to buy it if .. if we can finish the project in Evaluation time (30 days), we needn't buy it, hehe

Maybe, the project will be delayed for some days, coz I'm having exams from 29th Sep...... but I'll continue to post, I guess..........

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Why so many posts instead of one?

Anyway, check this site:
*www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/winpreinst/WindowsPE_over.mspx
*www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

OP
K

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
siriusb said:
Why so many posts instead of one?

Anyway, check this site:
*www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/winpreinst/WindowsPE_over.mspx
*www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

We wanna make a robust Win 98 Live Cd manually...........

Actually, Bart PE will give us an XP live CD which does not look like XP..... Lets try 98....

OP
K

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Ok made one.......

Dont have time to write the tut. It contains no programs installed......... but is an example of windows live CD........ And for those who think it is not possible, it is something which will make them know, nothing is impossible... hehe

Ok Then...... will write a detailed tut as soon as exam is over.......

Here's the basic idea:

Made the smallest possible Windows Installation........ When I removed the swap files and cache files and zipped the installation, it was a mere 4 Mb, when zippped........

Booted from a specially created floppy and extracted the zip to a RamDrive and then started windows from RAM.......... Thats it...........

Please wait for the detailed tut..............

OP
K

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Ok...... I'll not teach you how to make a Live CD now. I can teach that but it will take a lot more time and as the CD is now just in the begginning phase, so I would like to make you feel how it is like to work with a Live CD, only.

I will help you to build the CD but I will not tell you exactly how it should be configured and done but I will give you an idea how you can make the CD which will be exact copy of what I have made, because of several legal issues and problems. I recommend you to have a Licensed copy of Windows 98 and Windows 95 before you proceed with this tutorial.

Ok Lets start.

Requirements:
1. Windows 98 CD or installation files
2. Windows 95 CD or installation files
3. ss.zip from *www.geocities.com/khattam_khattam/ss.zip
4. Nero or any other CD burner application with required features
5. Pkunzip.exe for DOS
6. A virtual machine program (Optional)

Procedure:
1. Get all the files in the filelist given at *www.geocities.com/khattam_khattam/list-src.txt . The sources of those files in the list are also given there. Put all the files into one folder.

2. Rename "Win.cnf" to "Win.com". Also rename "Winoa386.new" to "Winoa386.mod".

3. Arrange the collected files in step 1 in a folder named Winlite, as shown in the filelist *www.geocities.com/khattam_khattam/list-fol.txt

4. Then zip the folder "Winlite" into an archieve named "msdos.zip".

5. Create a Win 98 Bootable Floppy by formatting a 1.44 Mb floppy in DOS by the command "format a: /s". You shouldn't make a bootable floppy in Windows NT, 2000 or XP, but you should give this command in DOS of WIN 98. You may boot into the computer with the 98 bootable CD and format the floppy and make it bootable.

6. Open the IO.sys in a hex editor and look for "system.dat" and then change it to "system.tat".

7. Get the filelist of required files from the list at *www.geocities.com/khattam_khattam/flplsts.txt and get these files from the respective sources. Put these files somewhere in some folder.

8. Arrange the collected files in step 7 as shown in the list at *www.geocities.com/khattam_khattam/flplst.txt in the floppy created in step 5. Overwrite any existing files.

9. Get a blank CD. If you don't want to waste a CD, use a CD-RW or just burn the CD as an image file in Nero and test it on a virtual machine. I'll teach it using Nero Burning ROM. If you don't have Nero Burning ROM then use any other alternative, which lets you make a bootable CD by floppy emulation. Open Nero Burning ROM and insert the bootable floppy we have created. Create a new compilation and choose CDROM (boot). Use the following configuration as shown below:
*www.geocities.com/khattam_khattam/live1.jpg

Click New. Then Add msdos.zip to the burn list as shown below.
*www.geocities.com/khattam_khattam/live2.jpg

Then make sure that the floppy is not in use by another application or even Windows explorer and choose Recorder>>Burn Compilation.

If you are burning to an image file then you will need to choose a location to save the image file after you do this. Save it as an ISO image (not nrg) for better compatibility with CD writers and virtual machines. If you are burning to a CD-R, you may use the free space remaining to store your data, to prevent the CD from being a complete waste...

Then, if you have burnt it to a CD then just reboot with the CD in the drive. If you have more than one CD-ROM drives then use the first CD-ROM drive or the Live CD won't work.

Well, if you have burnt to an ISO, you may want to emulate it and test it on a Virtual Machine. Use Qemu or MS-Virtual machine or VMware and test it. With this Live CD, you can do nothing much but explore FAT and FAT32 disks with read-write permissions. Thats enough for the first ever test Live CD, I think...

If you have any sort of problems doing this or have questions then please post here.

Best of Luck

OP
K

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
I have mad another one with all my drivers and even connected to the internet using the Live CD, but it works properly only on my computer or others with same configuration......... I'll write a detailed tut on how to do it...... but it'll take time

Status
Not open for further replies.