Windows 2000 not logging in

Status
Not open for further replies.

arijitraja

Broken In
I have a P3 866 MAchine with dual booting Win 2000 Proffesional Edition/Mandrake Linux 9.1 installed in it. 2 days back my Norton 2005 showed the virus Infosteal in a file c:\winnt\system32\xvid.dll which it marked as non-repairable. Reading a post by a fellow member i shut down NAV 2005 and started the online scan at www.kaspersky.com. When it was 60% due to some power fluctuation the system shut down itself. It already had found out around 100 viruses by that time.
Then when i started the machine again i am not able to log into any user not even the administrator. As soon as i enter the password and press enter on the logon screen, first a screen "Loading your Personal Settings" comes and then "Saving your Settings" and the same logon screen comes back asking for user and password. I tried in the Safe mode as well but the same thing is happening. I am posting this using my laptop. Please let me how do i go about solving this on the Desktop.

I had posted this Infosteal virus issue in the thread
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32017

Last edited:

ari_dumca

Right off the assembly line
My friend is having exactly this same problem. Please let me know if you get the solution. In the worst case what are the things that can be done ?
reinstall windows 2000?? can i save my data somehow ??
virus scan ?? .. i dunno how.. since its not even starting windows... It has norton installed in it but can it be used without starting windows ?
That machine has important data and i need to access it somehow... Help Help !!

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
Hmmmm.........very intersting. I think the virus might have infected your logonui file as well. I'm not really sure. If you got a password reset disk in hand, try that. If not, I think you need to use third party softwares to recover your password.

swatkat

Technomancer
Hi,
Looks like Winlogon keys or files are damaged. Have you tried "Last Known Good Configuration"? This page shows how to do it.

There can be two cases, either the Winlogon.exe Registry keys are damaged or the Winlogon.exe/Explorer.exe files are deleted. If the previous solution doesn't help, you need to manually repair the Registry keys or replace the files. Is your PC networked with your laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom