Windows 10, is it worth the update

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Hi Guys,

My cousin is getting a new pc. We need some advice regarding the OS. Should we go for Windows 10 or stick with 7? Is 10 good performance wise, compatibility wise(as in with softwares, games that run in 7 and xp) etc? If yes then which edition is the best

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions

P.S. The shopkeeper said that he will install a cracked version of the OS that we opt for.

Thanks

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
Buy a Windows 7/8 licence for cheap and upgrade to windows 10 for free(There is a deadline for this upgrade). If you/your cousin don't like Windows 10 or any of your games/softwares don't work, you can go back to Windows 7 or 8.Windows 10 gives you the option revert back within 1 month.After than you have to clean install the older OS.

Note:Forum is against Piracy hence do not post about it.

bubusam13

Human
After reverting back to windows 7 few months before today I reinstalled windows 10 thinking the bugs have been fixed. But there seems to be no end to my problems.

After I upgraded my windows 7 pro to win 10 pro, Start menu was not working. wasted about 2 hours searching the Internet for a resolution and ultimately called Microsoft support. The support technician took remote access of my system just to tell me my account is corrupted and there is no resolution for it but to create a new local account. So whats the point upgrading to windows 10. Better I do a clean install. SO I created a new account and deleted the old one. (My old account had Adobe Lightroom Database :( an save games and many other settings associated with it)

After I created a new account, I signed in successfully to my Microsoft account to use Cortana and windows store. But after a restart I couldnot re login to my microsoft account. Just I keep getting the message "We have encountered an error. Please try again later". Searched internet in vain. To resolve this issue I again created a new account.

Now Start menu is working and I can login but "get started" app which gives an overview of windows 10 is not working.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Don't post about pirated copies.

even if u opt for, don't mention it in TDF

Sorry about that dear. Won't happen again.

Buy a Windows 7/8 licence for cheap and upgrade to windows 10 for free(There is a deadline for this upgrade). If you/your cousin don't like Windows 10 or any of your games/softwares don't work, you can go back to Windows 7 or 8.Windows 10 gives you the option revert back within 1 month.After than you have to clean install the older OS.

Note:Forum is against Piracy hence do not post about it.

In my city win 7 license costs 4k. We were getting a desktop with win 10 preinstalled, but we are skeptical about the os hence didn't go for it.

After reverting back to windows 7 few months before today I reinstalled windows 10 thinking the bugs have been fixed. But there seems to be no end to my problems.

After I upgraded my windows 7 pro to win 10 pro, Start menu was not working. wasted about 2 hours searching the Internet for a resolution and ultimately called Microsoft support. The support technician took remote access of my system just to tell me my account is corrupted and there is no resolution for it but to create a new local account. So whats the point upgrading to windows 10. Better I do a clean install. SO I created a new account and deleted the old one. (My old account had Adobe Lightroom Database :( an save games and many other settings associated with it)

After I created a new account, I signed in successfully to my Microsoft account to use Cortana and windows store. But after a restart I couldnot re login to my microsoft account. Just I keep getting the message "We have encountered an error. Please try again later". Searched internet in vain. To resolve this issue I again created a new account.

Now Start menu is working and I can login but "get started" app which gives an overview of windows 10 is not working.

So sorry to hear about the issues that your are facing bro. I hope that some member helps you out with this.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
In my city win 7 license costs 4k. We were getting a desktop with win 10 preinstalled, but we are skeptical about the os hence didn't go for it.

If it's a genuine Windows 10 go for it.Get the pro version if possible. Im running Windows 10 on my 5 year old laptop which was designed for windows 7. Im not facing any issues.The battery life has improved and Bluetooth on my laptop is finally working.( Its wasnt working in Win7.)All my games that were working on Win7 are running great in Win10.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
If it's a genuine Windows 10 go for it.Get the pro version if possible. Im running Windows 10 on my 5 year old laptop which was designed for windows 7. Im not facing any issues.The battery life has improved and Bluetooth on my laptop is finally working.( Its wasnt working in Win7.)All my games that were working on Win7 are running great in Win10.

It's home version of Windows 10. Is it any good? Will Cortana and Hololens work in home version? The brand will not provide us the serial key, citing that we need to use the recovery option. Is there any way to get the OS's key once we buy it?

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
It's home version of Windows 10. Is it any good? Will Cortana and Hololens work in home version? The brand will not provide us the serial key, citing that we need to use the recovery option. Is there any way to get the OS's key once we buy it?

I have the Windows 10 Home version. Cortana works. Hololens I dont know. When you buy an OS, the key is the main thing.The guy (trying to sell you the OS) refusing to give keys sounds shady to me.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I have the Windows 10 Home version. Cortana works. Hololens I dont know. When you buy an OS, the key is the main thing.The guy (trying to sell you the OS) refusing to give keys sounds shady to me.

No dear, manufacturers like HP and Dell are not mentioning the key of windows anywhere these days neither they are giving it to you when you call the customer support. All they tell you is to create a recovery disk. No serial keys for Windows OS after Win 7.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Last I used Windows 10 was two months before, it was garbage for me back then. I don't have a low powered rig/laptop so that I can be amazed by that 10 seconds boot up and 5 seconds shut down time, LOL. Start Menu was sometimes unavailable. For two user accounts a password was must, otherwise it would just login in the last used account. Performance was everywhere, sometimes it was faster than Win 7, but most times it was simply pathetic. My 6 year old router's web UI was not accessible via Chrome or any browser, had to download a 2006 portable Firefox to make it work. Start menu's search index would stop working every now and then. Games worked, for some Windows 7 compatibility option needed to be checked. Windows Updates won't show what was the size of the downloaded update! It was one good thing and multiple bad things, so choice was obvious for me, going back to Seven, couldn't have been more happy. However I will try 10 again in March, to see whether those problems were fixed or not. The only reason I give damn about it is because of DX12 anyway.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Last I used Windows 10 was two months before, it was garbage for me back then. I don't have a low powered rig/laptop so that I can be amazed by that 10 seconds boot up and 5 seconds shut down time, LOL. Start Menu was sometimes unavailable. For two user accounts a password was must, otherwise it would just login in the last used account. Performance was everywhere, sometimes it was faster than Win 7, but most times it was simply pathetic. My 6 year old router's web UI was not accessible via Chrome or any browser, had to download a 2006 portable Firefox to make it work. Start menu's search index would stop working every now and then. Games worked, for some Windows 7 compatibility option needed to be checked. Windows Updates won't show what was the size of the downloaded update! It was one good thing and multiple bad things, so choice was obvious for me, going back to Seven, couldn't have been more happy. However I will try 10 again in March, to see whether those problems were fixed or not. The only reason I give damn about it is because of DX12 anyway.

Ah, that's bad. Did you use the home version? Windows 7 unfortunately is not coming preinstalled with any pc/laptop these days as its support has ended :(

I use a Software named produkey to get the windows 10 key.

Is it a free software and will it show the key of the preinstalled OS?

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
No, it was the genuine Pro version, which I downloaded from Microsoft's website.

I hope that they have fixed the bugs in all versions now.

Produkey is a free software and it showed my windows and office keys. It should work with you too.

I found a version which asked to purchase the software to show the full keys. Could you please share the link from where you downloaded the free version?

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
ProduKey - Recover lost product key (CD-Key) of Windows/MS-Office/SQL Server

Doesn't support Windows 10

Supported Products List

Microsoft Windows 98/ME
Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft Windows NT
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows Vista
Microsoft Windows Server 2003
Microsoft Windows 7 (Doesn't work with Microsoft Volume Licensing)
Microsoft Windows 8 (Doesn't work with Microsoft Volume Licensing)
Microsoft Office 2000 (Only ProductID is displayed)
Microsoft Office 2003
Microsoft Office 2007
Microsoft Office 2010
Microsoft SQL Server 2000
Microsoft SQL Server 2005
Microsoft Exchange Server 2000
Microsoft Exchange Server 2003
Visual Studio
Some of the Adobe and Autodesk products.

masterkd

Padawan
For the guys who are facing issue in Windows 10 after upgrading from Windows 7/8, I have experienced the same as well. Not as severe as mentioned here but there were issues and incompatibility with some applications. However after a while when 1511 released I decided to make a clean windows 10 install. So I have used a vcs script to get my product key, downloaded the iso from internet and tried to make a fresh install.

Now when I have provided the key during installation it was not working and I panicked that I need to reinstalled Windows 7 and upgrade to Window 10. But a little bit of googling helped me to know that Microsoft stores your hardware signature and will activate your copy automatically.
After that first activation is complete, you can perform a clean install on that same hardware using an ISO file, which has a product key embedded in it. As long as the hardware matches the previous installation ID, the installation is activated automatically. (Microsoft does not provide details of what goes into the hardware ID, except to confirm that it does not contain any personally identifiable information and is not used for tracking purposes.)

Source: Windows 10: You've got questions, I've got answers

So I have installed Windows 10 without product key. And after installation it was activated automatically. Now my system it much better, smooth and almost with no issues. Al my applications are working fine and I am quite satisfied. So I guess a clean installation will help to iron out a lot of issues we all are facing. And in my opinion it is worth the upgrade.

Also my dad have a laptop that came with Windows 10 Home pre installed and it is working quite fine. He is not an enthusiast user like me but for all his works (drafting, banking, office works, movies, games) it is fine.

P.S. I have Windows 10 Pro

Last edited:
OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
ProduKey - Recover lost product key (CD-Key) of Windows/MS-Office/SQL Server

It shows the key of Win 10. Thanks.

For the guys who are facing issue in Windows 10 after upgrading from Windows 7/8, I have experienced the same as well. Not as severe as mentioned here but there were issues and incompatibility with some applications. However after a while when 1511 released I decided to make a clean windows 10 install. So I have used a vcs script to get my product key, downloaded the iso from internet and tried to make a fresh install.

Now when I have provided the key during installation it was not working and I panicked that I need to reinstalled Windows 7 and upgrade to Window 10. But a little bit of googling helped me to know that Microsoft stores your hardware signature and will activate your copy automatically.

So I have installed Windows 10 without product key. And after installation it was activated automatically. Now my system it much better, smooth and almost with no issues. Al my applications are working fine and I am quite satisfied. So I guess a clean installation will help to iron out a lot of issues we all are facing. And in my opinion it is worth the upgrade.

Also my dad have a laptop that came with Windows 10 Home pre installed and it is working quite fine. He is not an enthusiast user like me but for all his works (drafting, banking, office works, movies, games) it is fine.

P.S. I have Windows 10 Pro

Yes, a clean install solved my friend's problem too who updated from 7.

Last edited:
Top Bottom