Windows 10 corrupted, HDD wiped

amjath

Human Spambot
Hi guys,

My windows 10 on my 2tb HDD is corrupted. I tried formatting and revive the second hard disk from bad sector. But unfortunately it was inserted in primary hard disk sata port. But after installing some drivers for my 2tb HDD and restarted. I was welcomed with "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"
I tried booting Ubuntu live CD but I can't Mount my HDD.

I used windows 10 disk and found my drive is showing as unallocated space.

How is it possible after a restart. Need help, retrieving my hdd.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
You mentioned your HDD has bad sector so it's not at all unusual for a HDD with bad sector to fail. Anyway, connect the disk with a different pc and try partition it. Also run WD Data Lifeguard extended test on the HDD.

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
You mentioned your HDD has bad sector so it's not at all unusual for a HDD with bad sector to fail. Anyway, connect the disk with a different pc and try partition it. Also run WD Data Lifeguard extended test on the HDD.
The bad sector is in other 160gb HDD, which I used it as secondary (but connected as primary) with 2tb and ran some test using Seagate tools. I felt nothing is working so installed audio driver in 2tb HDD and restarted my machine. So this happened upon restart.

I don't want to lose any data from 2tb HDD please help

Gollum

Collector
Yesterday, my newly upgraded win10 PC failed to shut down.
It has a new SSD. I don't wanna kill my new SSD with this untested piece of free crap.
Mate I suggest you to install win 8.1 or 7 to stay safe (hardware wise)

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
It has a new SSD. I don't wanna kill my new SSD with this untested piece of free crap.

So I'm not alone is it? But can I take raw HDD backup into another hdd and back up my data.

Can I boot my 2tb HDD as secondary HDD and check my partitions are still intact?

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
Probably your 2TB Hard disk's MBR(master boot record) have been corrupted. Nothing to worry if you have not performed a format on the 2TB yet. All your data should be safe. All you have to do is,

connect your 2TB hard disk to your friend's PC and repair MBR. There are many tools available for this. try searching for some partition manager softwares.

Or you can create bootable disc of partition recovery tool and repair the partition table from there.

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
Probably your 2TB Hard disk's MBR(master boot record) have been corrupted. Nothing to worry if you have not performed a format on the 2TB yet. All your data should be safe. All you have to do is,

connect your 2TB hard disk to your friend's PC and repair MBR. There are many tools available for this. try searching for some partition manager softwares.

Or you can create bootable disc of partition recovery tool and repair the partition table from there.

Thank God. It's not formatted yet. I will try your method.

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
Guys can I use this below link to for MBR
*neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/#Fix_the_MBR_in_Windows_8_or_81

Kaltrops

In the zone
SSD's shouldn't be damaged by incorrect shutdown. Mechanical hard drives are the ones that get most affected by that.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The bad sector is in other 160gb HDD, which I used it as secondary (but connected as primary) with 2tb and ran some test using Seagate tools. I felt nothing is working so installed audio driver in 2tb HDD and restarted my machine. So this happened upon restart.

I don't want to lose any data from 2tb HDD please help

Okay, got it. You need to recover the partition. I think this best describes your situation :
How Can I Recover My Data from an Unallocated Hard Disk Space?

Connect the HDD with another pc and use the above software or you can use this Easeus Data Recovery Wizard Pro which actually saved my 40GB partition once long back .. I think almost 9 years ago.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
My reply doesn't help, just wanted to say after Windows upgraded to November TH2 update, my Laptop's HDD also showed "Warning" msg.

Reallocated Sector Count 230

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
so you are implying win 10 is corrupting HDDs - I had same doubt with win 8. I don't know how or why but it's a fact for many.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
I think so, in windows 7 the HDD Activity LED would stop after showing desktop.

But in W8 & W10, the HDD LED turns ON anytime and HDD would work for 10-15mins for no reason.

I turned off auto defragmentation, i use Defraggler once in a while. So what the hell does W8/10 make the HDD do even when idle?

How many times would it cache/index files? Even after months of usage.

I'm thinking of turning off indexing for my new HDD.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
so you are implying win 10 is corrupting HDDs - I had same doubt with win 8. I don't know how or why but it's a fact for many.

i am also forced to think that there is something wrong with windows 10!
some weeks after installing windows 10, my wd blue drive started acting weirdly. Lots of read errors and some bad sectors were shown that time and my pc was in accessible. if i take settings, it will freeze. if i open my computer, then it takes ages. It takes ages to open and shut down. i thought my drive failed and bought a new one. installed some OS on that new hard drive and formatted that partition where previous windows was installed to. Luckily the bad sectors count became zero and there were no re-allocated sectors too. though everything is normal till now.

@op, any progress in your case?

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
i am also forced to think that there is something wrong with windows 10!
some weeks after installing windows 10, my wd blue drive started acting weirdly. Lots of read errors and some bad sectors were shown that time and my pc was in accessible. if i take settings, it will freeze. if i open my computer, then it takes ages. It takes ages to open and shut down. i thought my drive failed and bought a new one. installed some OS on that new hard drive and formatted that partition where previous windows was installed to. Luckily the bad sectors count became zero and there were no re-allocated sectors too. though everything is normal till now.

@op, any progress in your case?
Yes my issue is fixed. I'm half to complete the rescue.

For all those who blame windows 10 you are all wrong (may not be) and my issue is completely different. I also mentioned in op that windows 10 November update is not the cause, i used it without any issues except for audio drivers reinstallation. I will pose the steps of cause, resolution in detail.

Top Bottom