Win XP + SuSE Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohummisra

Broken In
Hey wassup.

I recently got the Digit August mag which had SuSE linux 9.1 personal edition on the DVD. now i've been meaning to try out linux for a while, but never really felt like doing it.

so i've finally decided to try it out. hahah. but now i realize that I have no idea what i gotta do. Well I do know that i have to burn the ISO off the CD so I'm gonna do that soon (in like 5 minutes from now).

But I need to partition my hard disk first, and I am not sure that i know how to go about this (although I have done it before). i believe i have to get a partition manager...is this right and if it is, which one do yall recommend? And what do I do after that.

Hhaha well I'm a complete newbie when it comes to linux, I guess, so please do help. Thanks.

S

spykids_666

the NTFS and FAT32 partitions will not work for the linux.
try reading the magazine. it tells abt how to install the linux

OP
S

sohummisra

Broken In
maybe you could elaborate.
by the magazine do you mean the "which linux will work for you" because i've read that about 2-3 times and all it gives are broad instructions.
is there any other distro of linux that would work in that case.

thanks

wORm

Journeyman
Yeah, if you have allocated all of your disk to FAT/NTFS partitions then it can be quite complicated.

OP
S

sohummisra

Broken In
okay so it would be better to buy a new hard-drive and just do the install there?

so basically i risk losing data because it is all over the disk. this is what i am understanding. please tell me if i am wrong.

VD17

Journeyman
i think fdisk can be used for partitioning...
seondly, i ask this one instead of answering, WTF, SuSe WONT WORK ON NTFS OR FAT32???? what file system am i supposed to have to install Linux?

OP
S

sohummisra

Broken In
VD17 said:
seondly, i ask this one instead of answering, WTF, SuSe WONT WORK ON NTFS OR FAT32???? what file system am i supposed to have to install Linux?

wow you couldn't have expressed my thoughts more clearly. haha..

apparently the SuSE installer can rearrange the files so that the partition is possible. this is what i learnt from the SuSE Forums.

late.r

wORm

Journeyman
Haven't run SuSe installer, but if it does resize partitions to "free up" space on the disk... I would do it very carefully. Partition resizing can easily cause data loss/corruption.

Besides, SuSe 9.1 personal is not that good, the major pain being hardware detection/compatibility.

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
linux has its own file system - ext3.

hi sohummisra,
if u want to install linux, better install it on a separate partition. u can use a free partition to install (atleast 4 gb) or if u r familiar with fdisk tool in windows 98 startup disk, u can create a partition or u can use partition resizing tools like partition magic. i am not familiar with the SuSE installer, but if asked, manually select the partition that u have created for installing SuSE. the rest will be easy.
Note that this partition cant be accessed normally thru windows. you will have to use some tools like nemo or explore2fs.

u can refer August 2003 issue of digit for instructions.

OP
S

sohummisra

Broken In
yo thanks for all the help... i just ran a defrag on the disk and i guess i will use a partition manager soon and do it manually. i'm guessing that the installer will at some point ask me on which partition i want to install suse.

wORm: what distro do you recommend i get then, if not suse. i guess i'll have to get cable internet and start downloading some ISOs. can you recommend any that came up in digit in the last few years. (i think there were like 2)

And lastly i have one question. is it easy to uninstall and recover back to the original form (one partition--windows xp) if i do not like the linux system. Thanks!

pravin4u

Broken In
Linux, unlike MS DOS/Windows uses a combination of letters and numbers to refer to disk partitions on your system. MS DOS assigns a drive letter to each partition on the machine.

Red hat linux follows (dont know about suse, might be same)
:arrow: /dev/xxyN

here

:arrow: /dev/: the /dev directory is the name of the directory in which all device files reside. the files representing all partitions reside in the /dev/ directory.

:arrow: xx : this denotes the type of device on which the partition resides. usually this will contain hd (for IDE disks) or sd (for SCSI disks)

:arrow: y : this letter indicates the device on which the partition is present. eg /dev/hda the 'a' here indicates the first hard disk and 'hd' indicates that it is an IDE hard disk. /dev/sdc the 'c' here indicates the third
hard disk and 'sd' indicates that it is a SCSI hard disk.

:arrow: N : this denotes the partition number. the first four partitions that is primary or extended partitions are numbered from 1 to 4. logical partitions start from 5

:arrow: hda2 indicates the second primary or extended partition on first IDE hard disk.

:arrow: sdb5 indicates the first logical partition on the second SCSI hard disk

i'd suggest u first install Red Hat Linux as procedure is described in aug 2003 digit issue then after u r comfortable and understand environment of lunux u can go for suse or try searching for the help file in SUSE cd for installing it.

OP
S

sohummisra

Broken In
i might do that then (install red hat linux). i tried looking for a help file on the suse cd (burned from the iso in the digit dvd this month) but the only file i found told me to look at the README in the docu folder. the docu folder, strangely, had no readme file.

This is what caused me great confusion!

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
It would be cool if you create Ext3 partition of around 2.5 bg on your HDD and swap for around 700 mb. (I recommend partition magic )Then just boot from your CD and suse will automatically dectet it and wooooooooooooosssssssss.......... u have a suse linux on your system ;)
..:: peace ::..
Jeba

VD17

Journeyman
damn... i have to make another partition? my HD usage is pretty scattered.... C: has 98 AND 2k, D has XP and E has invaluabl;e stuff... my MUSIC... ;)
anyway, thanks for the help guys (thanks Sohum for starting the thread ;) )

nelsonlobo

Right off the assembly line
use partition magic. it works like magic to partition disks and it has a friendly graphical interface. i have a copy of it.
lobonanc@sancharnet.in

sohummisra said:
Hey wassup.

I recently got the Digit August mag which had SuSE linux 9.1 personal edition on the DVD. now i've been meaning to try out linux for a while, but never really felt like doing it.

so i've finally decided to try it out. hahah. but now i realize that I have no idea what i gotta do. Well I do know that i have to burn the ISO off the CD so I'm gonna do that soon (in like 5 minutes from now).

But I need to partition my hard disk first, and I am not sure that i know how to go about this (although I have done it before). i believe i have to get a partition manager...is this right and if it is, which one do yall recommend? And what do I do after that.

Hhaha well I'm a complete newbie when it comes to linux, I guess, so please do help. Thanks.

suyash_123

Techno Freak
guys i have a hard disk of 20 gb with free space of 3 gb in c:\ & 6gb kin d:\

i have 2 os 1> win xp (on c:) 2> win 98 on (d:)
can i install suse (linux)on win 98

nelsonlobo

Right off the assembly line
yes you can install it on d:

suyash_123 said:
guys i have a hard disk of 20 gb with free space of 3 gb in c:\ & 6gb kin d:\

i have 2 os 1> win xp (on c:) 2> win 98 on (d:)
can i install suse (linux)on win 98

pravin4u

Broken In
yes delete the D drive using fdisk, and install linux on it, your deleted D drive will be shown as free space while installing linux then you select that free space make root pattion and dont forget to create swap partion :)

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
pravin4u said:
Red hat linux follows (dont know about suse, might be same)
:arrow: /dev/xxyN
The device naming convention is related to the linux kernel. so it is same everywhere regardless of the distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom