Will my current motherboard support playback of HD?

ajayritik

Technomancer
Guys currently I have the following

Motherboard:Intel DG965 RY
Processor:Core2 Duo 64210 2.13 Ghz
RAM:DDR2 2 GB

I guess I need a graphics Card to get HDMI ports and Sound card so that I can connect to Home Theater.

Planning to play Full HD and Uncompressed Blu Ray files.

Will this configuration suffice or do I need to upgrade to a new motherboard?

thanks,
ajayritik

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
its not about motherboard. The processing power and graphics power is also to take into account.
but seeing your specifications I donot think you could play a 1080p. Why not download a clip from gametrailers.com and try ?
pretty sure there will be stuttering.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
its not about motherboard. The processing power and graphics power is also to take into account.
but seeing your specifications I donot think you could play a 1080p. Why not download a clip from gametrailers.com and try ?
pretty sure there will be stuttering.

I guess processing power depends on the CPU and the graphics depends on the Onboard Graphics card.

I have no problems playing Full HD absolutely not atleast till now but not sure about Uncompressed Blu Ray coz I haven't tried that yet.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Just download a 1080p clip from the site I mentioned and if it works fine I think you should be fine. Lets see if anyone else has anything to say :)

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
I think you should have downloaded a Blu-Ray clip and tried playing it rather than opening a thread and asking opinions.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Core2Duo 2.13 GHz is good enough to playbak 1080P video encoded in H264 High profile (format used for the Bluray Rips and infact for the Bluray too). You just need a good software decoder.
Download FFDshow video decoder and Haali/Gabset MKV Splitter software. Google a lit to check how to configure FFDshow Video Decoder for decoding the file formats like MKV, MP4 etc.
But You you want hardware decoding which normally offers better quality then you've to invest for a low end Gfx card. HD 6450 at 2.5K is the choice for HTPC. Otherwise get a HD 5450 at 1.9K.

vwad

In the zone
Core2Duo 2.13 GHz is good enough to playbak 1080P video encoded in H264 High profile (format used for the Bluray Rips and infact for the Bluray too). You just need a good software decoder.
Download FFDshow video decoder and Haali/Gabset MKV Splitter software. Google a lit to check how to configure FFDshow Video Decoder for decoding the file formats like MKV, MP4 etc.
But You you want hardware decoding which normally offers better quality then you've to invest for a low end Gfx card. HD 6450 at 2.5K is the choice for HTPC. Otherwise get a HD 5450 at 1.9K.

Exactly, thats how I play BDRips on my old dabba AMD Sempron 2400 :D

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
I think you should have downloaded a Blu-Ray clip and tried playing it rather than opening a thread and asking opinions.

I had one of my friend say that I may not be able to play a Blu Ray files so just wanted to double check and if I'm unable to do so and if I need to upgrade either with add on cards or completely get a new motherboard.

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
My friend has a laptop (CoreDuo 2+Ghz 2mb, 1GB ram, GMA 945 256mb).. He can play 1080p videos files upto 10gb using VLC player... Your PC seems to be much more powerful, so I guess you can play any 1080p videos fine.. You should download a very good quality Youtube 1080p video to check, or better yet may be a video captured from iphone 4s (iphone 4s captures 1080p videos of crazy size) ;)

Tech&ME

Banned
Ya dude,

I can play pretty much every kind of video files, 1080p and blueray included in my below rig :

CPU : core 2 duo

Mobo : D945GAV

Monitor : Full HD [ Samsung P2370MS ]

Codec Pack or VLC Media Player [ Required ]

Top Bottom