Will laptop's component be damaged if used for 6-7 hrs a day?

pranav.seth

Journeyman
hii guys,
my post-exams holidays have started and am using my laptop (Compaq Presario CQ42) for downloading for around 6-7 hours a day. i intend to continue till 1st April (holidays will end then) but wanted to know that will the laptop be affected in any way if used so extensively.
Thanx in advance :)

doomgiver

Warframe
nope, i used my laptop to download torrents at streches of almost 30+ hours, no major harm.(except for reduced battery life)

just make sure :
1. it does not overheat. use a notebook cooler. dont let the hdd temp go above 45-50 C. (i used to apply water to it, no kidding. i soaked a small cloth in water, then removed excess water. i then lightly rubbed the cloth on the hard drive area of the underside of the laptop, keeping away form the vents and screws, so that there was a thin film of water on the underside of my laptop, and i used a news paper to blow air on it. very effective, temp drops by 5-6 C instantly.)

2. close the lid/let the screen idle so that it turns off. saves a lot of electricity.

3. remove battery and keep on ac power, saves battery. and if u have frequent power outs, connect the charger to ups, acts like a battery, but easier to replace.

OP
P

pranav.seth

Journeyman
remove the battery???? and keep the power cord connected......

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

@doomgiver thanx it works!!

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

and i use winbubble to switch off the screen manually

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Mine has been on all of last week including today. No worries. Is a netbook though.

Seeding big time..!
;)

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
but over a period of time the performance of the machine will degrade. Its like the more you use, sooner you'll have to dump it. Heat is the worst enemy of all computer parts which is hard to avoid.

doomgiver

Warframe
remove the battery???? and keep the power cord connected......
@doomgiver thanx it works!!
and i use winbubble to switch off the screen manually

thanks!!!
i dunno abt your lappy, but with my hp dv6000 series, i just stick a small magnet near the expansion slot, there's some kind of sensor there for shutting down the display, so it turns off physically!!!

pauldmps

Banned
Each & every component in an electronic device gets affected by magnetic interference not only the HDD. The effects are, however, less pronounced on the other components than the HDD.

doomgiver

Warframe
yes, i had my doubts too, but i dont use an expansion card, and there's nothiing else that can be influenced by magnets there, so this is safe. the laptop lid actually has a magnet in it. i just took that magnet(i removed it when i was taking apart my laptop, i thought it was just a piece of metal, forgot to put it back) and stuck it to the part where the lid touches the body. works fine, and its been 2 months.

i'd advise looking up on the net for your models' details, if you feel like doing this, coz the compaq laptops' magnet is in a different place.

R2K

In the Zone
For cooling don't try to apply water and other fluids on the laptops.
Either use a laptop cooler or
Keep 4 bottle caps on your table and position them in way that the laptop rest on top of it
This will raise the laptop to a sufficient height that there will enough supply for the heat vents to function well...

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
^ I don't need to do that to elevate it, i have 9-cell battery, so it's shaped out and sufficiently elevates my laptop. :)

R2K

In the Zone
^^
i told so because he didn't specify that he got a 9 cell battery
BTW your laptop's spec looks pretty cool :D