Check the following link:-

InsideHW - Wii 2's official specs leaked

Graphics:
Custom AMD RV770 Chip “WOLF” @ 766Mhz on 32nm process
1398 Gflops

CPU:
Custom IBM Power 6 Chip “FOX” on 32nm process
4 cores, each two way SMT-capable and clocked at 3.5 GHz
175.9 GFLOPS theoretical peak performance (single-precision)
87.6 GFLOPS theoretical peak performance (double-precision)

Memory:
512 MB XDR2 DRAM main memory
+ 1024 GDDR5 video memory
+ 16 MB eDRAM

Storage:
2.5-inch SATA hard drive with 250 GB / 320 GB capacity
Expanded storage via SD and SDHC card memory (up to 64 GB)

Media:
Custom Blu-ray Disc, up to 50 GB
Compatible with 7 cm Nintendo GameCube Game Disc and 12 cm Wii Optical Disc

Display:
Video output formats
Composite video: 480i, 576i (PAL)
S-Video: 480i, 576i (PAL)
RGB SCART: 480i, 576i (PAL)
Component (YPBPR): 480i, 576i (PAL), 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
D-Terminal: 480i (D1), 480p (D2), 720p (D4), 1080i (D3), 1080p (D5)
HDMI: 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

Looks pretty good on paper. Hope developers will support the console and it would improve upon its previous generation motion control based system.

Last edited:

gameranand

Living to Play
It sure does look good on the paper but RAM is lesser than my expectation and CPU and hard fisk is greater than my expectation.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
So we are getting an hd 4850 class gpu . The visuals will definitely be impressive and has the potential to even surpass the ps3. Really impressive on paper.

@ gameranand

Buudy look carefully. Its xdr2 ram. Even xdr rams are faster than ddr3. So i guess nothing is getting compromised here and its enough for this kind of game console.

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, it should be pretty fast and much beefier compared to the original one. Only concern is if Nintendo can successfully rope in the big developers this time.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
It was expected to not too have really powerful specs but its actually little above expectation.

Also, interesting part is Custom Blu-ray Disc, up to 50 GB ..but what they will do with 50GB game disc ?

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
I would say. The specs are mediocre.

It sure looks great now. But, This is not a console for today. How good this will be after 5 years? Then again, hardware specs were never a Nintendo's strong point.

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, the main thing. More than hardware, its the quality of games which drive console business. Remember both Wii and PS3 in their early days, for contrasting reasons?

gameranand

Living to Play
Oh OK. Didn't saw carefully that it was xdr2. Was using on my phone that time. But it isn't that great spec either as vamsi already said. Its not future proof.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Oh OK. Didn't saw carefully that it was xdr2. Was using on my phone that time. But it isn't that great spec either as vamsi already said. Its not future proof.

Whether future proof or not will depend more on what specs will the next PS and XBox have. Wii seems to be one generation behind both Microsoft and Sony.

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just when do consoles start making future proof hardware??? Xbox 360 & PS3 rooted to DX9, next gen is said to be DX11 compatible and by the time they are in the market PC owners will be enjoying DX12 or DX13. So the RV770 chip is not losing much ground here compared to what we have now or what we are expecting to get in another 5 years time.
Granted, the specs are not eye-popping, jaw-dropping type but have enough oomph in them. As stated earlier, major concern of Nintendo should be to rope Big developers which they fail big time with the Wii. EA was there at the beginning, but that's all about it.

Tachyon1986

In the zone
Impressive specs , looking forward to this. Thanks for posting this.

In all fairness, the DS had better quality games compared to the Wii . If they can deliver the same on the Wii 2, I'd totally buy it. The only Wii games that didn't suck belonged to the Mario / Metroid / Zelda franchise :p (Ok , there were some other good ones, but I'm generalizing here , considering the shitload of shovelware on the wii).

Oh , and I do hope they launch it in India officially.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
I would say. The specs are mediocre.

It sure looks great now. But, This is not a console for today. How good this will be after 5 years? Then again, hardware specs were never a Nintendo's strong point.

Specs are impressive this gen but it might have a hard time competing against the next gen sony and microsoft console. But until they are released , nintendo will do great business and get a huge chunk out of the pie.

Right now , its competitors are ps3 and xbox 360 and i think it will deliver on par visuals or maybe surpass them. Nintendo's inhouse developers will make full use of the hardware.

What nintendo needs now is some good third party developers.

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Games, games, games. We need innovative games and more shooters and yes, a proper cricket & tennis game.

Tachyon1986

In the zone
Games, games, games. We need innovative games and more shooters and yes, a proper cricket & tennis game.

I remember a cricket game on the Wii , it sucked balls. EA Grand Slam tennis was playable with the Wii motion+ controller add-on.

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
So its not Wii 2 but Wii U, catchy name I must say.

See the details:-

E3 2011: Nintendo Wii U: Inside and Out - Features at GameSpot

Nintendo Announces Wii Successor - Wii U - Industry News - Overclockers Club

Pics:

*www.overclockersclub.com/vimages/news/news28467_1-nintendo_announces_wii_successor__wii_u.jpg

*www.overclockersclub.com/vimages/news/news28467_2-nintendo_announces_wii_successor__wii_u.jpg

Images taken from OverclockersClub.

POST ADDED
So some big games are coming, courtesy Ubisoft:-

Ubisoft have jumped on the Wii U ship announcing some of their major franchises for Nintendo’s new console: the Wii U. Assassin’s Creed, Rabbids and and Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Online are all coming to Wii U.

And some more from a band of developers:-

Wii U: This is what the developers think about it - GamingBolt.com: Video Game News, Reviews, Previews and Blog

Last edited:

Sarath

iDota
They used the footage of PS3 and Xbox for their official unveiling.
But they accepted it and justified it saying the the experience would be similar on the Wii2 too.

source: engadget

Top Bottom