Wifi Router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

narangz

Web developer
Hi,

Please suggest me a Wifi Router with medium range(like Netgear rangemax). Should have Ethernet ports too.

If my neighbours can have the signal too, that would be awesome.

Please suggest models with & without ADSL modem. I am going to use it on my broadband. Budget about 3K.

dexter11

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

Please suggest me a Wifi Router with medium range(like Netgear rangemax). Should have Ethernet ports too.

If my neighbours can have the signal too, that would be awesome.

Please suggest models with & without ADSL modem. I am going to use it on my broadband. Budget about 3K.

I would suggest Linsys WAG200G ADSL modem router , i am using it. Its gives pretty rock solid performance and gud receptions. Prices 3250 /-

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
^^Thanks. Any idea about its range?

Guys please suggest some other models too.

Anyone???
I don't think no one knows anything about wi-fi router!

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I use a Linksys WRT54G. Its almost an year old and gives me good signal across my home (2000+ sq. ft). I've simultaneously run about 5 computers together (laptops + desktops). The router is able to handle quite an amount of load. I'd certainly recommend this router. Since your budget is 3k you can't get the 802.11n based router.

WRT54G has 4 RJ45 ports, so it functions as a switch as well. Apart from these 4 ports it has a broadband port (another RJ45) only for your A/DSL modem. Plus you can use hacked firmware (linux based) with this router to enhance its capabilities. It should be available for about 2.2k now. Since I've been using it, hence I can recommend this device to you.

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
Approx same dimensions of home.
Does it work okay in other rooms or on terrace & rooms upstairs? I mean no problems caused by walls?

What will the 802.11n router cost?

Thanks for your reply :)

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Yes, its works fine for me; in every room. The signal is good on the terrace (1st floor). The roof of my home is quite thick.

An 802.11n router wud prolly cost about 6-7k.

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
Yes, its works fine for me; in every room. The signal is good on the terrace (1st floor). The roof of my home is quite thick.

An 802.11n router wud prolly cost about 6-7k.

OK. Yeah 1st floor will be nice.
I don't think signal will reach neighbours :D If it does that will be awesome.

What about Netgear RangeMax? Any idea?

802.11n routers r priced a bit high. Get a normal a/b/g one.

Alright. I am more concerned about signal range & decent performance. Thank you :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ The signal spreads in all directions. So if the signal reaches the terrace then you can expect the signal to travel the same distance horizontally too (meaning your neighbours' house). Not used Netgear products, hence can't comment on them.

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
Actually by neighbours I mean neighbours across the street. The street is approx. 30 feet wide. That's why I think it won't reach them coz of distance & electronic/electrical distrubances.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ Oh yeah.. it will prolly not reach your "neighbours" 30 feel across the street ;) But I guess you can mod the router and put some parabolic reflectors to make the signal reach there! Its quite possible. I think linksys has one more model with 3 antennae (higher range). I forgot the model number.

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
^^^ Oh yeah.. it will prolly not reach your "neighbours" 30 feel across the street ;) But I guess you can mod the router and put some parabolic reflectors to make the signal reach there! Its quite possible. I think linksys has one more model with 3 antennae (higher range). I forgot the model number.

Haha :D Guess you were surprised :lol:

Yes I've read about parabolic reflectors too. Thanks a ton :)

I checked out Netgear RangeMax products & I couldn't get their prices here, unfortunately.

If anyone can quote the prices, I'll really appreciate that. :)

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
If u have a direct open path b/w the transmitter nd receptor, then u can get much better signal strength. See if u can keep the router near a window nd neighbour can keep his window open nd there is a straight path.
No need to go for wireless n router[also backward compatible with a/b/g] as ull need wifi n compatible card to enjoy the 5Ghz network speed.
There was some Chip mag which compared routers nd compared speeds/range etc. ill look for it nd will post soon.

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
The window thing won't work, I guess. They've a big house & in the front they have lawn. The direct path can't exist. However I can try keeping it in my porch.

Yes, please post the comparisons. Thank You!

heartripple

In the zone
My PC cofigration is :
AMD ATHLON 64 x 2 4200
ASUS M2N-MX
1 GB DDR 2 667 Mhz
320 GB WESTERN DIGITAL HDD
SONY DRU 170 AW DVD writer
and i have nokia n-82 mobile
and also planning to buy a laptop in september 2008

i have bsnl broadband at my home with zte modem.

so what hardware should i have to buy to enjoy wifi internet surfing.

and how much all that parts would cost to me.

thanks in advance
:)

maddy_in65

Journeyman
I am using DG834G modem cum router. It is a very good router. I got good signal strength at all corners of my home which is 1500sq ft. I got it for 2300 rs.

It is a netgear product.

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Hi, got the review
The best one for long range[to be precise:22M with 2walls] was Netgear WGR614. It had almost twice the transfer rate of others at that distance. But there are other models which performs slightly better in close range, but this one has above avg close range performane nd good long range too.

*img153.imageshack.us/img153/774/1003577ib8.th.jpg
*img98.imageshack.us/img98/2093/1003578xy0.th.jpg
*img90.imageshack.us/img90/7961/1003579pl2.th.jpg

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
i have bsnl broadband at my home with zte modem.

so what hardware should i have to buy to enjoy wifi internet surfing.

and how much all that parts would cost to me.

thanks in advance
:)

You need a wifi router & a wireless adaptor/card for your pc. That's all you need.

I am using DG834G modem cum router. It is a very good router. I got good signal strength at all corners of my home which is 1500sq ft. I got it for 2300 rs.

It is a netgear product.

Thank you, I'll have a look :)

Hi, got the review
The best one for long range[to be precise:22M with 2walls] was Netgear WGR614. It had almost twice the transfer rate of others at that distance. But there are other models which performs slightly better in close range, but this one has above avg close range performane nd good long range too.

Thanks a lot, Aravind. I'll have a look :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom