Wi-Fi over a large area

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishaan

Padawan
Hi

Does anyone know a cost-effective method to set up a wi-fi network across a large area (around 1.25 acres) that includes both indoors and outdoors areas as well as multiple floors and a basement?

The internet connection comes from a radio antenna in the form of an ethernet cable which can be connected to a router.

I tried asking around but people were telling me solutions that costed not less than around Rs.50-60k. I thought it was possible to link up a few routers or wireless repeaters or something which would cost much lesser?

Although it is possible to connect the routers with wires in this particular site, I would appreciate it if someone knew a wireless method which would make things much easier (even if it costs a bit more).

Thank you

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Use wireless repeaters.. Get a DD-WRT compatible router.. Its easier setting up a distributed wifi with that firmware.

OP
I

ishaan

Padawan
Use wireless repeaters.. Get a DD-WRT compatible router.. Its easier setting up a distributed wifi with that firmware.

Thanks kalpik..

I heard rumours that using repeaters causes a drop in signal though but I'll check them out again.

If anyone could share a good place to get hold of them in Delhi it'll be great.

Any other ideas by anyone would be appreciated too. Thank you.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Check out the wiki and forums at dd-wrt.com

OP
I

ishaan

Padawan
Thanks kalpik, it worked.

I bought Linksys WRT54G2 v1 routers and flashed them with the dd-wrt firmware, after which setup was a breeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.