Why are PC games so cheap on launch in India ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyborg47

Technomancer
not gamers i was talking about sotware piracy in general,at least my experiences makes me believe so , i maybe wrong but for me it looks to me like maybe 1 or 2 in each 1000 gamers are willing to shell out real money , again that could just a matter of me not having enough exposure btw as of now i'll stick to my inference .

Well regarding softwares you can tell 99% are pirates excluding Windows. And 1% belongs to Antivirus. But I think here at least 10-20% Gamers buy original games.

Ugh..software piracy(in general personal computing sense) is hopelessly rampant in india.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Its not just PC games, look at Kaspersky Internet security..
On the official site, its 50$ for 1 pc 1 year but on flipkart , its only Rs 500..
I still dont understand the reason why this is so..
Is there a difference between those two versions ?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
On the official site, its 50$ for 1 pc 1 year but on flipkart , its only Rs 500..

nope.. same version, also if you see INR pricing of the same you would see it would be higher in download version.

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
nope.. same version, also if you see INR pricing of the same you would see it would be higher in download version.

Yeah.. thats what I wonder. I have seen in Amazon also, Some games prices are higher for download versions.
Download version = No Disc Costs,Packaging charges,shipping charges. Then why is it?

Fog

Broken In
Yeah.. thats what I wonder. I have seen in Amazon also, Some games prices are higher for download versions.
Download version = No Disc Costs,Packaging charges,shipping charges. Then why is it?

I put my mind to this
and I thought because

the download version is basically you buying from the original site e.g Steam

if the price of dload on steam is 49$ then to get a profit the seller must sell at a price above 49$

however if you import say 1k CDS of games you are bound to get heavy discounts from the original shops

hence price gets cut..

tkin

Back to school!!
C'mon people, let's all be happy it's cheap and that we can afford it. Why fight? [I also mean, why discuss?]
If they raise prices because of seeing this thread, I'll curse some people to hell(and I can do that, heritage :p :p :p )

Kaspersky 500/-, 90/100 people buy, kaspersky 2500/-, more avast or avira or avg.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Well like i said..In Other countries
On a average a person earns about 25$+/day(Even a person who works in MCD can easily get 30-50$ average a day)..compared to about 5$/day in India.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
If they raise prices because of seeing this thread, I'll curse some people to hell(and I can do that, heritage :p :p :p )

Kaspersky 500/-, 90/100 people buy, kaspersky 2500/-, more avast or avira or avg.

My point is, Kaspersky and other companies, leech so much money from us.. even though more than a 70% discount would give them good profits..
50$=Rs 2500
Rs 500 for india..

gameranand

Living to Play
Well its simple. They all know the condition of India. I mean when games are at 999 INR then also only 10-20 % gamers buy them. Imagine the condition when its like 2500 INR./ No one would buy that so its a business strategy that get whatever you can get. Also here the per capita income is way too low as compared to USA and similar.

tkin

Back to school!!
My point is, Kaspersky and other companies, leech so much money from us.. even though more than a 70% discount would give them good profits..
50$=Rs 2500
Rs 500 for india..
That's the main issue in softwares, there is no raw material needed, so cost is measured in man hours and resources like electricity or hardware, so ultimately the pricing can be whatever they want, take for example, look at revenue or Oracle, or Microsoft, or even Adobe, adobe's softwares cost more than a kidney, but if they costed that much to produce or even 80% of the product costs adobe would never make so much profit, same with microsoft, that's why they gave Win 8 at 3k and still maintained a profit by selling overpriced office and other softwares.

This guys nailed it right: Do you think that Adobe software is overpriced? - Crowdsourcing Questions & Answers

Back to games, while I think game prices are justified in USA, not so here, lets take an example, a movie ticket here is how much, 200/-?(in kolkata you can watch 3d movies for 99/- in the morning), in USA its $10 avg right? Now, a game is 5 times the price of movie tickets in USA, so here is 5x200=1k for PC, justified, not so for consoles.

OP
darkv0id

darkv0id

Journeyman
That's the main issue in softwares, there is no raw material needed, so cost is measured in man hours and resources like electricity or hardware, so ultimately the pricing can be whatever they want, take for example, look at revenue or Oracle, or Microsoft, or even Adobe, adobe's softwares cost more than a kidney, but if they costed that much to produce or even 80% of the product costs adobe would never make so much profit, same with microsoft, that's why they gave Win 8 at 3k and still maintained a profit by selling overpriced office and other softwares.

So basically they try to maximize revenue by decreasing the price, and in turn, increasing the sales
And since the cost of producing and packaging the discs is still much less than $20, they still make a profit.

Have I got it right?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Anyone who has a original game disk (box) on hand, look at the back side and see where it was manufactured. I can't check right now as i'm in office :p

tkin

Back to school!!
So basically they try to maximize revenue by decreasing the price, and in turn, increasing the sales
And since the cost of producing and packaging the discs is still much less than $20, they still make a profit.

Have I got it right?
Yes, exactly.

Anyone who has a original game disk (box) on hand, look at the back side and see where it was manufactured. I can't check right now as i'm in office :p
I have 2 game packs in front of me, Dirt 3 says made in India by sony dadc mumbai and distributed by zapak, HAWX 2 is made in Poland and imported by e-Xpress in India.

OP
darkv0id

darkv0id

Journeyman
Yes, exactly.

Okay..thanks for helping me out.

Actually, I was somewhat overwhelmed at the response to this thread. It feels nice when the community comes together to answer even such seemingly trivial questions.

So.. thanks everyone:-D

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
what're you talking..indian literacy rate = 74 %...

and btw "yar sabji bhaji aur petrol,diesel kharidne ke bad kya bachta hai ek middile class{85 % india} indian ke pass"

he meant what do you try to imply here? just because India has a literacy rate of 74%, we should not/must not/cant afford to play games because "PC games are so cheap on launch in India"?? Do you even perceive how much absurdity your post posses?

People in India, has money...now listen...people in india has money to buy a scooter after 16 years of travelling in a n-crowded bus, people have money in india to buy a TV where there is 12 hours powercut, people in india have money to invest on a dance bar with a distressed sense of lust, people in India have Money to pay for prostitution...You know what people of India have money for ? For Entertainment, its the biggest signicant need after the stomach...Its perspective they pay for. Even you are not posting in this thread to enhance literacy..its a different version of entertainment, it has values in life...know it...its different for every people, and for gamers..it may be life. its time you smelled the coffe

logout20

Journeyman
he meant what do you try to imply here? just because India has a literacy rate of 74%, we should not/must not/cant afford to play games because "PC games are so cheap on launch in India"?? Do you even perceive how much absurdity your post posses?

People in India, has money...now listen...people in india has money to buy a scooter after 16 years of travelling in a n-crowded bus, people have money in india to buy a TV where there is 12 hours powercut, people in india have money to invest on a dance bar with a distressed sense of lust, people in India have Money to pay for prostitution...You know what people of India have money for ? For Entertainment, its the biggest signicant need after the stomach...Its perspective they pay for. Even you are not posting in this thread to enhance literacy..its a different version of entertainment, it has values in life...know it...its different for every people, and for gamers..it may be life. its time you smelled the coffe

dude where do you live....LOL.....:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom