Who(what) is eating my bandwidth? Detective sware reqd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
hey all,
i recently noticed that when my computer is idle and my internet on, data is sent and recvd continuously...
my first suspicion was automatic updates...i turned it off temporarily, but still the problem continued...
my second suspicion was live update....i let it complete but still the problem persisted...
then i thought that surely it must be a spyware or virus...i ran norton and spybot, removed some spies, but still the problem persisted

now i want to know is that is there any software that will tell me which process and which website is using my bandwidth??? as it is really slowing down my net(As if it wasn't slow already-dial-up :( )

pls help......i repeat:
a software to tell me what is using my bandwidth(process and website inclusive)

fatguysmart

The Blessed one
What is the amount of data sent? Is that large ?
And are you on LAN?

IF you are on LAN and data transferred is too little,then relax because this happens with everyone.Your LAN card sends packets to the LAN gateway and inturn receives a reply packet.

Use Active Ports(FREEWARE) to see if any application is using to communicate with the Internet!

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
how about a simple netstat -n command and trace the ips?? and as QM pointed out, FW is best way.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
well your adsl router has ben hacked , shange your router password as well as your internet connection password from the ISP site . if you can't then contact your ISP n get it changed .

coz believe me i myself have hacked more than 100 routers and it just takes 1 MINUTE to hack one.

OP
thetopcyborg

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
sorry not to make it clear to you that i am currently using dial-up, so each kbps is precious to me....
the size of the data being recvd is about 2-3kbs.....
my major concern is to remove this problem as i am getting an adsl connnection on monday which i plan to run 24hrs.....i dont want my data-limit(1GB) to be wasted....

i dont want to get into the hassles of firewalls.....the active ports dwnld failed at 83%....

pls pls pls help................ :'( :'( as im unable to browse the internet at acceptable speeds

OP
thetopcyborg

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
how will i know which ports am i using??????/
i dont know through which port does my browser connect....i hv many messengers....and also, CURRENTLY, i am using my dial-up....there is no port-forwarding in it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom