Which LINUX should I use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolblue

Broken In
WHICH IS UR MOST FAVOURITE DISTRO & WHY?

OK i think this would be an interesting thread :)

WHICH IS UR MOST FAVOURITE DISTRO & WHY?

Plz dont start Distro Wars Episode One here .....just mention ur favourite distro & WHY u like it above all others..keep it short, simple & peaceful :p

If I had to choose just one distro from the entire crowd, I'd go for Suse (Suse 10.1).

Reasons are obvious:
1. Comes on 5 CDs plus an add-on CD with non-oss stuff (which is really good for we indians as most of us have slow/no internet)
See full list here *www.novell.com/products/linuxpackages/professional/index_all.html
2. Has Wine, Opera, Kdeedu, Supertux and many nice collection of apps
3. YAST!!! (So simple & superb!)
4. KDE-centric (I like KDE)
5. Detects all my hardware (FC5 & Ubuntu won't detect my serial mouse while Suse did)

If I had to choose a livecd...well...I'd say Kanotix (excellent hardware detection), Elive 0.4.2 (it comes with Wine, w32codecs & libdvdcss2 pre-installed!) & PCLinuxOS (we all know why its so nice!! Best newbie distro! Has java, flash, w32codecs, mplayer, VLC...)

Would love to know what others like...plz mention the reasons as well.

If Ubuntu offered extra CDs for download, I would have gone with that.
Its otherwise pretty good coz its debian-based and has huge repos of stuff.

Cheers

Dipen01

Youngling
Howz Mandriva 2007 compared to Mandriva 2006...

well i havent used linux much apart frm some coding in vi.... but nw am trying to switch to linux..

i have Mandriva 2006 and Ubuntu 6.06 (i guess)..

which one should i try..!!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I am on Mandriva 2007 for now. But, I just don't like it.
KDE seems too be too slow compared to some debian flavour and I can't find a few things like firefox 2 and jre repos for it.

mehulved

Maybe they've bloated up the GUI to make it too simplistic for end users. I feel they've oversimplified most of the things to the point of making it hard to operate for people like me.
BTW, can anyone help me in finding some repo that can give me jre? Anyways I am not keeping mandriva for more than 2-3.

Dipen01

Youngling
Dipen01 said:
Howz Mandriva 2007 compared to Mandriva 2006...

well i havent used linux much apart frm some coding in vi.... but nw am trying to switch to linux..

i have Mandriva 2006 and Ubuntu 6.06 (i guess)..

which one should i try..!!
SO what do u ppl suggest..??

UBUNTU or MANDRIVA

coz i read in sm other post..!! that
its complicated to configure GPRS on UBUNTU..!!

and yeah i can be counted in completely NOOB with linux

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
tech_your_future said:
Before ordering the cd's do check with your city's LUG's if they do have a set of distribution you want. For mumbai, the ILUG has put up a list of available cd's on its site, you can contact them and get. I have myself got 3 set of ubuntu cd's for x86, if anyone in mumbai wants it I can give it to them.
Three questions:

1. Ubuntu is better? or Mandriva 2007 is better? (for a newbie like me)...I just installed Madnriva 2007 yesterday...I don't find it as a simple OS...plus I find it slow for my liking...I'm keeping it just because I saw the DVD from either PC World / Digit November issue (at my friends place & made a copy of it on a DVD)...apart from that "2007" sounds like from the future...hehehe...so I just installed it to give Linux a try.

2. In the earlier post you said "I am on Mandriva 2007 for now. But, I just don't like it.
KDE seems too be too slow compared to some debian flavour and I can't find a few things like firefox 2 and jre repos for it." Keeping that in mind, is it better to choose Gnome...I say this coz when I was installing Mandriva 2007 it gave me the option to choose between KDE & Gnome...is Gnome that better than KDE?

3. I live in Borivli & I can meet you anywhere you want in Mumbai (I can give you blank CD's or DVD's for burning the 3 set Ubuntu CD's you have) let me know how to get a hold of you.

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Yeah, personally if you ask me, Ubuntu is much better than Mandriva. Also gnome is a lot more stable and a little faster than KDE (my personal experience).

mehulved

Well celeb those are my personal opinions and don't really apply generally. I am a bit averse to rpm based distros(if you don't know about it, read the sticky 'These topics have been covered'. There's a link to thread where these differences have been explained). Ubuntu is no doubt simple but I cannot compare it with Mandriva cos I have used Ubuntu for a lot longer than Mandriva.
But, I can say for one, having used slackware in the past, configuring everything by GUI in Mandriva seems a pain.
The thing between GNOME and KDE is, GNOME is a very light and simplistic, no bells and whistles. So, it uses lesser resources. On the other hand KDE is very much functional out of the box. So, it consumes more resources.
But, KDE can be tweaked to use less resources and GNOME for more functionality.
Well I don't think I have a CD of Ubuntu 6.06 for now. But if you need it I can download it for you and give it to you. It's just one CD but it's really minimal but has good enough to cover the basic requirements. But, it doesn't suffice people like me.

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
tech_your_future said:
Then you can try out ubuntu from them and see if you like it.
I am going to try it today. Hey t_y_f would you be so kind to check my post *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42390 & let me know the answer for my last post, when u have time?

Thanks

tty?

Right off the assembly line
i think if u really want privilege of “controlling”
ur system then u must stay away from
distros like mandriva n suse (not offending).
I vouch debian philosophy so
UBUNTU is the best choice.....gud for every 1 :p
& newbies should opt for DREAMLINUX
2 rzons
1#DL plays almost all formats audio n video
(except FLV) day 2 day use, its like plug n play
2#& DL has all stable packages unlike ubuntu ,
so its exceptionally stable even in case of touchscreens n scanners....

NucleusKore

TheSaint
After the infamous agreement was signed between Novell and Microsoft I switched to Ubuntu. Ubuntu is light on the system resources when compared to SuSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom