Where to Download Legit Windows 7 Home Basic Iso from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
Hi guys, My computer (laptop) is going to be sent to the service centre very soon and I would like to keep a copy of my windows 7 home basic bootable disc. I have a few questions regarding this:

1) If I download a legit windows 7 home basic SP1 x64 bit and install it on my laptop and use my OEM provided serial key, will it work?

2) My HP laptop provides a recovery partition which sets the laptop in its factory condition, can you guys please tell me how different is the recovery partition different from installing the same windows 7 home basic OS with an OEM provided key?

3) Now if the answer to my first question is "yes" then from where do I download my Windows 7 home basic SP1 x64 bit iso file to create a bootable disk?

Mr.Kickass

In the zone
Hi guys, My computer (laptop) is going to be sent to the service centre very soon and I would like to keep a copy of my windows 7 home basic bootable disc. I have a few questions regarding this:

1) If I download a legit windows 7 home basic SP1 x64 bit and install it on my laptop and use my OEM provided serial key, will it work?

2) My HP laptop provides a recovery partition which sets the laptop in its factory condition, can you guys please tell me how different is the recovery partition different from installing the same windows 7 home basic OS with an OEM provided key?

3) Now if the answer to my first question is "yes" then from where do I download my Windows 7 home basic SP1 x64 bit iso file to create a bootable disk?

1) Of course

2) Recovering will resort your system back to factory conditions. Installing a fresh copy would strip your system off the goodies that came pre-installed by the manufacturer, though you may want to get a better answer on a manufacturer specific forum though.

3) You'd have to do a little bit of research because I frankly never had the situation to perform a clean install but I can give you some pointers

Start off here, The Windows 7 Forums, trust me these guys are the real deal :wink:

Then, if you know what you're going to do then its fine but if you have a doubt or something then you can head over to the one and only How-To-Geek forums for a complete guide on how to go about your clean install of Windows 7

Well, I'd have loved to lend you my copy as it is sitting uselessly on my Laptop but at around 3GB its a disaster to do that :p

Do you want to buy Win 7 and no idea where from you can do that? Is that what you are asking?

Nope, it doesn't appears so.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent

* Re-installing using Recovery Partition: You restore you laptop to the state it was when you brought it. This restores all the bundled programs (like roxio / cyberlink dvd suite, microsoft office trial etc) and drivers

* Re-installing using DVD Image with OEM key: You'll miss (?) the bundled software and probably some drivers (like quick launch buttons)

You can create bootable dvd image (probably 2 dvds) from your laptop using bundled software given by hp. Just scroll you start menu and you should find it easily.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes, using your OEM product key will work. I've done this a 100 times in different laptops now. :)

There was this tool - forgot the name.

I had downloaded Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 ISO from Microsoft's website.

Then this tool made a small change to the ISO. Then I burned it. Result was - I could use the burned DVD to install any Windows 7 version I wanted, provided I had the product key. I used it to install Windows 7 Home Basic.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-n...n-g6-20xx-22xx-23xxax-powered-trinity-20.html - refer to Bhupati's post #574 here.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
the link posted by @Mr.Kickass has older versions.to get the latest windows 7 SP1 Media Refresh iso go here:
Windows 7 Direct Download Links
i suggest downloading english(USA) home premium/ultimate version(32bit or 64 bit depending on your original os) & then use this tool to remove efi.cfg file from iso which will give you option to install any version(basic,premium,pro etc) while installing:
*code.kliu.org/misc/winisoutils/eicfg_removal_utility.zip

btw if you are interested in a little free upgrade to premium(if you know what i mean ;) ) that can also be done depending on your laptop bios type.strictly speaking i consider it a kind of bypass to activate premium features on original home basic version.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
the link posted by @Mr.Kickass has older versions.to get the latest windows 7 SP1 Media Refresh iso go here:
Windows 7 Direct Download Links
i suggest downloading english(USA) home premium/ultimate version(32bit or 64 bit depending on your original os) & then use this tool to remove efi.cfg file from iso which will give you option to install any version(basic,premium,pro etc) while installing:
*code.kliu.org/misc/winisoutils/eicfg_removal_utility.zip

btw if you are interested in a little free upgrade to premium(if you know what i mean ;) ) that can also be done depending on your laptop bios type.strictly speaking i consider it a kind of bypass to activate premium features on original home basic version.

+1 to this.

The upgrade from Home Basic to Home Premium/Professional can be done by some registry hacks and patches :D (which worked for me). I hate that MS disabled use of themes on the basic version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom