where are consoles, tvs, computers and mobiles headed in the next 5-10 years

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
bring the discussion on, throw out some brave predictions

gonna try and start off with some

1) staturation of stores: at this point of time, most people are talking about saturation of content in some media. Radio stations, tv channels, and games in android or ios. This is going to happen with the online store options. Competition is going to be intense, and very likely the store cut for steam, iOS, Play, and all the other ones (Alien Arena?) all are going to offer unique incentives - in app incentives depending on which store you buy the prodct from. Maybe OnLive will get kicking by then. the good news is you can order your groceries during the transit home from work. the bad news is the network may get jammed just when all the stores decide to discount stuff.

2) Cloud will be the core of the experience : whatever your offering, it is gonna be on the cloud. Consumers are gonna get mad if their progress on a particular game, or the amount of ebook they have read on one platform is not available on another. Cloud will invade all platforms, media and channels. Cloud will convert mobiles to consoles. You can expect your phones to magically send content to your tv/comp and control it, regularly in the near future.
if you think iOS is truly walled, think again, amazon extends its content to other devices, so does certain kind of IAP in some cross platform games... this is going to get increasingly common. the good news is gaming parties require just your phones as against laptops. the bad news is everyone will have to patiently wait while the guy who was streaming the movie has that irritating phone call with his long lost relative.

3) mobiles will replace all other screens : srsly, we dont need computers and tv and consoles anymore, mobiles can provide all these functions and at locations tv and comps cant reach. one problem is, tvs are becoming computers (social networking, apps, email etc), consoles are becoming entertainment hubs (blu-ray functionality for 2 GB games? really? LOL!) and computers are becoming theatres (that's where most movies are screened.) All of this is possible on a mobile, the latest few generations of mobile phones can support HD streaming on screens... and soon you can just bump it into any available screen whenever you wanna. good news: no need to worry about upgrades or updates or that strange thing... yeah dependency resolution... only pains an elite few, but even that's not gonna happen anymore. bad news: more pedestrians on the roads looking at their screens instead of traffic.

4) It's going to be ad supported : this is going to be the problem, the way things are going, it just about makes sense to push referalls and give incentives, than ask for real purchases outright. the premium content wont come at a cost, it will be packaged as an opt in in a free title - aka a freemium. discounts and coupons will be a part and parcel of online purchases. theres gonna be some nasty spam ads on in game currency for that freemium title. that's how most content will be, ebooks, videos, comics, games. supported by ads that let you go deeper and derper into the titles. good news: the world will be urs for free. bad news: you will have to download/ watch/ read a lot of carp to get the world for free.

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
after 5-10 years I see -->
1. No actual mobile handset in pocket...people will have 10 inch tabs in there back pack connected with bluetooth headset....I can see more advance bluetooth device with maybe redial and voice recognision system.

2. I feel consoles will be of size of a 5 inch mobile with RF connected pads or handwearing gadget....all games will be played from cloud storage...

3. to access cloud storage and cloud OS we will have 20Mbps line just like we have 2 mbps like today

4. Hard disk will be used for just storing very private data...and all other data would be in cloud based storage.

5. In next 10 years TV will be out and we would use much cooler over head projectors to watch TV

SIDDHARTH.BEAM

Journeyman
Well airtel has bring 4g services in India
As for head on projector Sony is already on his way to present something similar to your idea .
Tabs are already common these day they are some good tab even for 6k

sujoyp

Grand Master
@SIDDHARTH.BEAM u r right most things r there but whats the cost and ease of use

like 6k tabs r there but do they have sim slot...if yes do they have great voice recognision like siri in iphone to call without bringing it out of the bag :)

sony have overhead projector for TV but projector gets hot very quickly and we cant use it for like 20 hrs at a time...they r also very power consuming

airtel 4G is there...whats the cost to use whole day on cloud computing :)

I know all things will be resolved in next 5 years when they will be common

NitroZ

Right off the assembly line

*www.pinktentacle.com/images/flexible_organic_el_display.jpg

01 Roll-able Film Monitors Just Imagine a Tablet sized Cellphone Rolled neatly in your pocket

organic thin-film transistor - Google Search

Organic field-effect transistor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

02 Flash Drives replacing HARD-DRIVES DVDS BLUERAYS entirely

*www.digitaltrends.com/computing/victorinox-debuts-3000-swiss-army-knife-with-1tb-flash-drive/

03 PC-TVs Smart TVS go figure no Computer cases

04 Satellite Based Internet HDTV Receiving Satellites transmit in MB eg Dish TV

Attachments

• flexible_organic_el_display.jpg
    flexible_organic_el_display.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
after 5-10 years I see -->
1. No actual mobile handset in pocket...people will have 10 inch tabs in there back pack connected with bluetooth headset....I can see more advance bluetooth device with maybe redial and voice recognision system.

2. I feel consoles will be of size of a 5 inch mobile with RF connected pads or handwearing gadget....all games will be played from cloud storage...

3. to access cloud storage and cloud OS we will have 20Mbps line just like we have 2 mbps like today

4. Hard disk will be used for just storing very private data...and all other data would be in cloud based storage.

5. In next 10 years TV will be out and we would use much cooler over head projectors to watch TV
Dream on.

This is India, to win votes poor people will be given broadband first(doesn't matter if they have computers or not) before we get any speed bump.

*www.pinktentacle.com/images/flexible_organic_el_display.jpg

01 Roll-able Film Monitors Just Imagine a Tablet sized Cellphone Rolled neatly in your pocket

organic thin-film transistor - Google Search

Organic field-effect transistor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

02 Flash Drives replacing DVDS BLUERAYS entirely

03 PC-TVs Smart TVS go figure no Computer cases

04 Satellite Based Internet HDTV Receiving Satellites transmit in MB eg Dish TV

Not gonna happen cause of DRM, look up AACS and Cinavia, they spend 10yrs to build cinavia, they won't abandon it within atleast 10yrs or so.

NitroZ

BLU Ray is owned by Sony and seeing Microsoft's Hesitance in implementing Blu Ray you never know also Windows 8 was distributed via flash drives during the press conference . If I am wrong Blu Rays should be used to distribute WIN8 . Blu Rays are the successors of DVD

sujoyp

Grand Master
@tkin we already have 10Mbps connections in big cities like pune mumbai hyd....soo probably in next 5 years we will definitely get 20Mbps connection too...

in 2008 i had 8 Mbps line in mumbai 5 years ago of hathway :)

NitroZ

Well 8-10-15 MBS are available but they are shitexpensive

Worse Even BSNL has them

*i.imgur.com/Z4JqTl.jpg

tkin

Back to school!!
BLU Ray is owned by Sony and seeing Microsoft's Hesitance in implementing Blu Ray you never know also Windows 8 was distributed via flash drives during the press conference . If I am wrong Blu Rays should be used to distribute WIN8 . Blu Rays are the successors of DVD
The future of entertainment is not controlled by microsoft, its controlled by MPEG-LA and BDA(Sony does not own BD, its a myth, the BDA owns BD), softwares might be distributed by pen drives, but movies will come in BD(or holographic disc), again because of DRM. The reason Win 8 was not distributed by BD was that there was no need, pcs can boot via USB and OS can fit in a 4GB pendrive, also BD drives are expensive.

@tkin we already have 10Mbps connections in big cities like pune mumbai hyd....soo probably in next 5 years we will definitely get 20Mbps connection too...

in 2008 i had 8 Mbps line in mumbai 5 years ago of hathway :)
ONLY local operators who can't even cover an entire city(Beam/ACT), what about national level players? BSNL, MTNL, Airtel, Reliance etc. Also know this, all inbound data cable to India are owned by either Bharti, Reliance or VSNL(TATA), the moment these local players start to make much profits they will increase prices and force the local players to increase prices as well, india govt has no control over these lines or the company and there is no regulation.

NitroZ

I totally & Entirely disagree with You Monir :wink: and just elsewhere I have to Block You again here too

AND You dont seem to be getting the point of thread do you ? as always =/

sujoyp

Grand Master
prices of internet is never going up now...reliance and bharti have 10Mbps line with a limit....even operators like tikona,hathway and many have them...
In pune of of the big players ..maybe tikona was giving 10Mbps line with 40GB limit and 2 Mbps after that unlimited....all for 1.7k PM not a bad offer

tkin

Back to school!!
I totally & Entirely disagree with You Monir :wink: and just elsewhere I have to Block You again here too

AND You dont seem to be getting the point of thread do you ? as always =/
The whole base of this thread lies in internet connection which, is not getting any cheaper by the years, when was the last time we had a speedbump? Best you can get nationwide is 1mbps from reliance(but then again they seem to block vimeo etc from time to time), MTNL gives 1mbps UL, and all other nationwide players have FUP, and what does microsoft have to do with entertainment? Compare the no. of sales of OS discs and movies discs, there won't be flash based approach, one thing can happen is like netflix but that too depends on internet, you want mobile entertainment, you need 3g(which again costs like hell, or comes with a terrible FUP), an 2g on mobile is unusable.

The future of consoles, tvs, computers and mobiles lie in internet connectivity which is nowhere near any improvement in India, and they will keep holding us back.

SIDDHARTH.BEAM

Journeyman
Yeah tikona is giving some cheap offer on unlimited package but i am little confused by their plan one time some guy from tikona came to my house for demo. I asked him what will be the downloading speed he said 1 Mbps I repeated the question he again replied the same so I applied for it but when I started using the net at some time I was getting downloading speed of 120 Kbps and at day time it's 60 to 70 Kbps . Now these day on their tariff plan showing 2mbps download speed. And what will be the upload speed.

sujoyp

Grand Master
u must have selected a variable plan....

In pune I was about to get a reliance connection having 800Kbps in daytime and 1 Mbps at night for 699 unlimited ...u too got something like that i suppose

@tkin yes future lies in internet...everything online

Top Bottom