What's the best way to learn fast typing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chetan1991

Youngling
Hi to all!
I bought my computer 2 years ago but still I am unable to type with speed.I still have to look down on the keyboard to type making the typing speed dead slow.Pls tell me about the best way to learn fast typing.Also suggest me about some softwares etc. if they are useful.

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
Here is a funnny way ;)

Make a fake GIRL ID and enter Yahoo Chat Rooms. Chat with a few dudes and your speed will definately increase plus you will have fun :D

PS : No offence intended :)

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
There are a lot of typing software available. Please google them. You will get a lot. I improved my speed quite drastically using some of these software.

int86

You'r Born Free
Does fingure position is important as in typewriter. Or will i get speed irrespective of position.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Download and install "Typing Made Easy". It's a freeware which will help you. Learning is by funny way. You will enjoy it. :)

Sykora

I see right through you.
Make a fake GIRL ID and enter Yahoo Chat Rooms. Chat with a few dudes and your speed will definately increase plus you will have fun.

I think this will actually work... Maybe something more honest, but the principle is kind of intuitive :p

You just have to keep trying. There are many programs online and offline that help you increase your typing speed.

@int86 : Yes, finger position is important. If you have the wrong postion, you'll stretch some fingers more than they should be, and you'll stress them out.

gaurav_indian

CG Artist
sukhdeepsinghkohli said:
Here is a funnny way ;)

Make a fake GIRL ID and enter Yahoo Chat Rooms. Chat with a few dudes and your speed will definately increase plus you will have fun :D

PS : No offence intended :)
acha toh woh tum thay jo fake girl id se yahoo chatroom mein aati ho i mean aate ho.:D

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
just try to write without looking at the keyboard and look some times when u really need...
Practice as much as you can...
chatting is also good as u will be trying to type as fast as u can thus increasing the typing speeeed...

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
IMO the best method is net surfing and foruming. ;)
I didnt use any software or never learned typing. But atm just bcoz of online forums, I can type fast and without looking into my keyboard. :D

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
Vishal Gupta said:
IMO the best method is net surfing and foruming. ;)
I didnt use any software or never learned typing. But atm just bcoz of online forums, I can type fast and without looking into my keyboard. :D

EGGJACTLY Same here :D

sakumar79

Technomancer
Learning typing can be done in many ways
1. Go to typing class - typewriter keys are basically the same as far as alphabets are considered.
2. Get a freeware typing tutor software - just google for it...
3. Practise by yourself - first, learn to type a to z and repeat the process until you can do it reasonably fast (with or without looking at the keyboard)... Next, try to repeat in reverse order (from z to a)... This will help you get a feel for the keys... After this, you should try to mix it up with alphanumeric characters by typing random passages from books, mags, websites, etc...

Arun

abhijangda

Padawan
Hey friend typingis easy I have computer in my home for 7 yrs and in 2005 I can type fastly. It will take time practice it. Also always keep your left first finger which is nearest to your thumb on f and right hand finger on j this is the way of typing. Best of luck.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
SukhdeepSinghKohli said:
Make a fake GIRL ID and enter Yahoo Chat Rooms. Chat with a few dudes and your speed will definately increase plus you will have fun
Xcellent option. The best & most realistic solution I came across yet. Simply fab.. dude.

Net Surfin & Forumin did no good 4 me. I might b fast enuf but still look @ the damn keyboard to type.. & I've been in constant touch with computers from around '96 :D

Hey, I found this on LifeHacker... TypeFaster. Free, open source application. Teaches you how to touch-type and improve your typing speed. TypeFaster's on-screen display lets you keep your eyes on the monitor and off your keyboard as you work your way through the lessons. Granted, most of us know how to touch-type by now, but I've been considering making the switch to a Dvorak layout for a while now, and if/when I do, I'll enlist the help of TypeFaster to help with the transition. TypeFaster is free, Windows only, though.

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Finger postitiong is important. I tried increasing my typing speeds with typing tutors but it did not help.

While working, it just gradually improved, so practice touch typing. It will decrease ur speed at first as u dont have the habbit to type with the specified fingers. No worries even if you to see at the keyboard at start, u will get comfy within a month.

nix

tutors are a good way to increase speed.
i can type without seeing the keyboard and am really fast at that. i used a small, trial version software which told you where you have to position your fingers and use which finger for a particular key. basically, you have to position your fingers in the reqd way and the finger to be used will be printed on the screen. that is the easiest way to get started. the other 90% of the efforts you have to put by practising and more, more of it. it took me 2 months to learn this. and i did it for around 2 hours everyday, for 2 months. 2 hrs of pure typing. you need to be really determined to do it, coz at the beginning, it will seem impossible. you will find it really difficult, but you will get it if you are focused.

OP
Chetan1991

Chetan1991

Youngling
pathiks said:
even i look @ my keyboard wen i type... who cares...
Well it works for ordinary work man but if you have to learn Programming Languages etc. you'll need to learn typing else it'll take you thousands of hours to write a single program.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom