What's old is new - Vista SP1 having the same childhood as XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Source

"Microsoft's record on service packs has not been good. Over the years, they've been forced to withdraw several service packs and issue updated service packs shortly thereafter. That's the reason there are so many service packs with names like SP1a and SP6a.

Windows Vista SP1 shows all the early signs of becoming an unmitigated disaster. IBM issued an internal memo telling their employees not to install SP1 until further notice, if ever. Several of my readers have said that they have no plans to install SP1 despite the fact that Microsoft labels it a critical update. The problem is that SP1 breaks other software. Lots of other software. And the workarounds for a particular broken package, if indeed there are any, can be pretty complex, involving editing the registry, opening or closing particular ports manually, and so on. Not something you want users doing, and not something that IT departments have the resources to do machine by machine."

I probably have everyone reading this quote and in full agreement with this post in regards to Vista SP1. Except one problem. You see this isn't an exact quote, I edited it to say Vista sp1. The original post was in reference to XP sp2. Yes, boys and girls that same operating system that is the "good ol' operating system, stable, wonderful" that we are waxing poetic about now, was seen as a disaster of a service pack when it first came out. An "unmitigated disaster" in fact.

*www.ttgnet.com/daynotes/2004/2004-34.html#Tuesday
Funny isn't it?

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
True...now a days ms has become a company to joke on...off lately ms has not got any credible appreciation for anything...instead they got loads of exaggerated negative comments....

Let them do their stuff and show them some respect...

Hope vista sp1 goes well ...and stabilises the os like sp2 for xp

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Source

IBM issued an internal memo telling their employees not to install SP1 until further notice, if ever. [quote]

Is it because Vista SP1 doesn't allow the current Vista activation cracks??

:)

True...now a days ms has become a company to joke on...off lately ms has not got any credible appreciation for anything...instead they got loads of exaggerated negative comments....

Let them do their stuff and show them some respect...

Hope vista sp1 goes well ...and stabilises the os like sp2 for xp

Totally agree with you. Yes. Vista had lot of turbulence early on.

For a test, I used Vista on two PC's. One's on my friend's desktop that is never connected to internet and one on my laptop that is always connected.

The difference was evident. Friend's desktop, as it never got any updates from MS always had issues like sluggishness, driver incompatiblity etc.

For my desktop, I am still waiting to see the BSOD or crash. It's running better than XP SP2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom