what to do with the win32.pinfi virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swatkat

Technomancer
whats AV do u use?
If u use Norton, then check this link for removal info.
*securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.pinfi.html

Alternately , u can download this removal tool from CA eTrust and run it to clean ur system.Here download the file ClnPinfi.zip
*www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx?id=13676

Also u can make an Online scan of ur system here:-
*housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Please post in relavant section.....
mods...pleasemove this to QnA

OP
B

bluespace

Broken In
okay but,,,,,,,

sorry for not to give specification
so the things go like this

os windows 2000
AV --- norton

my comp is a home comp no lan connection or internet connection but i take my machine to a internet cafe to recieve updates last week when i updated this virus called win32.pinfi appeared norton has quratined that file but it show virus warnings again and again so after that i downladed CA's win32.pinfi removal tool but as soon i run that my whole exe files began infected with that virus , and now i am not even to uninstall the programs affected by it after all this when i rescanned my comp using norton i didint got any vurus message but after 2 days it agian showed a virus warinig saying that NT backup is infected and so so i still think its in my system ( no LAN and no internet connection)
in my opinion the norton and CA's removal tool has not done enough protection although this virus is a older one
and thst shit win32.pinfi has slowed my computer also ( i think)

so i am waitning for a better opinion

indrajit

Journeyman
Ok. This is what you can do. Swatkat has already given the nescessary links, copy them down in a paper, go to a cyber cafe, download the removal instructions and the removal tool and write them in a CD (RW preferably).
Start your PC in safe mode (continuously press F8 while booting). Now try to use trhe removal tool or the instructions, whichever you like. I suggest manual removal.
Another thing, I don't remember if Win2000 has System Restore, cause if it does then stop the monitoring before doing anything. The process for doing that in XP is, Right click on My Computer->Properties->System Restore->tick "Turn off System Restore on all Drives".
Best of Luck.

swatkat

Technomancer
Have u tried the removal steps given Norton Website?
if u did that then,Install Kaspersky AV and then scan ur system...u can get it in System Mechanic 5 Pro given in January Digit CD.

OP
B

bluespace

Broken In
Thank a lot, i tried a lot , but it again reappeared , now i cant uninstall any programs or play any games which's exe was infected by the win32.pinfi

so i happily reformated my entire system and now am having a NEW begining hope that it wont happen to me again haha

theraven

Technomancer
dont forget to update ur windows from the windows update site
or use autopatcher XP
also plz update ur av definitions and ur AV engine if possible

daj123

Journeyman
Remember ONE THING and ONE THING ONLY. Always patch your FIREWALL FIRST, then your AV and lastly your OS. The way these viruses get into your machine is using badly configured firewalls or weak firewalls. If your firewall was good enough, it would've prevented that virus from infecting your system in the first place. Ok, even if your firewall fails, the AV is the next line of defence. Norton or McAffee normally dont allow .exes to change critical info like the bootsector information, etc... so I dont know how it allowed the virus script to run in the first place. The last defence was your OS. But in case of MS you can forget this line of defence ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom