My system specs is
P4 2.4 Ghz
256 + 512 MB DDR1 RAM
DVD Writer
Asrock MB 845 GV
15'' CRT Monitor
80 GB IDE HDD

1. I am not willing to Sell the old system
2. I have read somewhere in digit mag where it is shown that old pc can be converted into Media Center PC or a downloading rig .. I dont like to make my old pc like that
3. I think the only addable part is 40 GB IDE HDD to my system ... and i don't wish to do that either

It had XP earlier in the old system and i remember it showed as 1.8 Ghz in the system properties with Pentium celeron but now XP is not working and the BIOS start up shows the processor as P3 1.00 Ghz .. anyways i am gonna install linux in it soon ...(waiting for my exam to complete)

It is showing some CMOS Checksome error... may be the CMOS battery has dried ... ? :confused:

So any suggestion from u guys on how i can use this old computer productively ..?

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
If you are keen on web server appz, use then as test servers. I am already using my Linux desktop as a test server.

OP
A

adi007

Youngling
If you are keen on web server appz, use then as test servers. I am already using my Linux desktop as a test server.

i am very n00b when it comes to network..
AFAIK it requires router .. right ..?
That means it will cost me around 2000 rs for a good router coz i dont have one .. i just have the DSL modem given by BSNL..

BTW how can we make LAN ... does that also require some router or additional ethernet card ..?

BTW one more thing the old pc has a old UPS ..microtek brand .. it is not giving backup .. As soon as the power goes off it,the computer will just switch off .. i think the battery has died .. any cheaper and economical ways to make use of this dead UPS ...?

Last edited:

vandit

In the zone
Yes your CMOS and UPS battery has died.
You can use you old computer by making a cluster of both ur pcs. Dont know the details but wikipedia and google are there yo help you out for sure regarding this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom