What to choose Air Cooler or Air Conditioner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkin

Back to school!!
LG LSUC2BW1AF1 0.75 Ton Split Air Conditioner Price – Rs.15,000

Voltas Vertis Plus 0.75 Ton Split Air Conditioner Price – Rs. 15,570

Samsung AS10UTA 1.0 Ton Split AC Price – Rs.16,100

any Spilt A/C available @ 10k ? :(
No branded ones for 10k, try local(assembled) ones, or go window.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
LG LSUC2BW1AF1 0.75 Ton Split Air Conditioner Price – Rs.15,000

Voltas Vertis Plus 0.75 Ton Split Air Conditioner Price – Rs. 15,570

Samsung AS10UTA 1.0 Ton Split AC Price – Rs.16,100

any Spilt A/C available @ 10k ? :(

Rockstar I don't think its a good idea to go for any split A/C less than 10k, most probably it may not be a good brand and you may have trouble later on.

Guys what would the main difference between split and Window A/C.
If we move often is it better to go for the latter?

Rockstar11

Technomancer
^ i mean branded ones Split AC for 10k - 12k max. any 2011 summer offer? :rolleyes:

Windows AC vs. Split AC

Size: Split AC is much smaller than the windows AC.

Power: You can buy the power by spending more in either case however the Split ACs give a wider range.

Noise: Split ACs are quieter than the Windows ACs. But many latest Window Air Conditioners come with noise absorbers which makes them lesser noisy.

Variety: Split ACs would probably win when it comes to the available brands and models.

Installation: Window AC fits into the wall or window so the dimensions have to be carefully chosen. If your window size is not standard then you might need to have some work done to make just enough room for installing the air conditioner. Split AC on the other hand doesn't even require a window in the room. It does however require a hole for the pipe that connects the inner AC unit to the outer one. At least in case of Split AC installation you need professional hand.

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
Windows are quite good now-a-days, my Vertis(from Voltas) 1.5T window is an absolute chiller(even after a complete maintenance free 7yrs)

Rockstar11

Technomancer
Now Switch on your AC from Anywhere. SMS GONE. AC ON. :D

ONIDA Pre-Cool is the world's first AC which can be operated from outside your home. All it takes is an SMS. Simply send an SMS 'AC*ON' from your mobile to the special mobile handset which is prefixed in the room with your AC. The AC will get switched on with Pre-cool application immediately. Also, you can switch it off by sending an SMS 'AC*OFF'. So, pre-cool your room before reaching home and enter into the cool comfort of your home.

Onida Air Conditioners India Air Conditioners Prices Spilt Air Conditioners Window Air Conditioners

tkin

Back to school!!

ONIDA Pre-Cool is the world's first AC which can be operated from outside your home. All it takes is an SMS. Simply send an SMS 'AC*ON' from your mobile to the special mobile handset which is prefixed in the room with your AC. The AC will get switched on with Pre-cool application immediately. Also, you can switch it off by sending an SMS 'AC*OFF'. So, pre-cool your room before reaching home and enter into the cool comfort of your home.

Onida Air Conditioners India Air Conditioners Prices Spilt Air Conditioners Window Air Conditioners
Really, it takes about 3-5 mins for my window ac to cool the room(bedroom), is this really necessary.

PS: If you buy this, your friends will play pranks and send the AC ON sms to your house, enjoy ac in the winter, hoooiyaah.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Guys, had a hell of time yesterday night. Had one of my existing Air cooler setup before going to bed. It was ok initially but later had a tough time with humidity.

I think have to really think about buying an A/C, considering there isn't much of ventilation in my bedroom.

May have to go for Window A/C for now. Since will be shifting often.

oron123

Right off the assembly line

Also, you can switch it off by sending an SMS 'AC*OFF'. So, pre-cool your room before reaching home and enter into the cool comfort of your home.

That's right, I love the programmable thermostat feature of my unit. It is so helpful for me to pre-cool the room 1-3 hours before reaching home.

reinstenanoventures

Right off the assembly line
You can go for air conditioner (window AC) i.e better option in summer. If you have no budget then today's dealers are offering AC at installments basis also. so you can choose from tehre.

gigi

Banned

digitalpocketscales@airconditioner.yahoo

I agree with his idea I think so.:?And some day the niftiest of these "smart meters" could even turn central-heating systems or air conditioners up or down as power prices rise and fall.

Sarath

iDota
Coolers make the room too humid which increases discomfort. An AC has two jobs, cooling and dehumidification. A lot of people do not realise that humidity levels play an equal role in making a room habitable.

Sarath

iDota
Should be more worried about the electricity bills though. I have never liked coolers. I couldn't handle the humidity.

nginx

In the zone
Sorry for the bump. Just thought I would chime in here with my experience.

My friend has an air cooler and I didn't notice any cool air coming out of it sitting directly infront of it. It felt like a regular fan but worse since the humidity in the room kept rising which increases the discomfort. Not sure how well it works in different parts of India but in Kolkata these things are a waste of money. Air Conditioner is the way to go. Yes, higher upfront cost and higher electricity bill but atleast you have a thing that actually works wonders. I keep mine at 26C to save electricity and even that is more than enough cooling with the ceiling fan on.

As for Windows vs Split, always go for split because I haven't seen a 5 star energy labelled windows AC yet. Splits are also way quieter. Keep the fan speed low and you won't even know its on.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Sorry for the bump. Just thought I would chime in here with my experience.

My friend has an air cooler and I didn't notice any cool air coming out of it sitting directly infront of it. It felt like a regular fan but worse since the humidity in the room kept rising which increases the discomfort. Not sure how well it works in different parts of India but in Kolkata these things are a waste of money. Air Conditioner is the way to go. Yes, higher upfront cost and higher electricity bill but atleast you have a thing that actually works wonders. I keep mine at 26C to save electricity and even that is more than enough cooling with the ceiling fan on.

As for Windows vs Split, always go for split because I haven't seen a 5 star energy labelled windows AC yet. Splits are also way quieter. Keep the fan speed low and you won't even know its on.

Bro, I didn't get the reason for you posting on this thread which is now almost an year old. Not sure you had to bump old threads just to share your views. Did you see any recent post this thread checking on some thing?

nginx

In the zone
I know its not right to bump old posts. That's why I apologized beforehand. I just thought I would chime in with my experience because way too often I have found old threads to be useful while searching on Google. In future more people will stumble onto this thread for sure and I hope my post will help them a little to make a decision whether to go for air cooler or not.

Age of a thread shouldn't be a bar to providing information. The usual reasoning given for not bumping old topic is that the original poster is no longer around to see the answer/reply. But we forget that there are many others who will have the same question in mind and will benefit in future from all the replies.

louiedonovan55

New to this forum
If you ask me, I'll prefer an air conditioner (Air Conditioning LA ).During heat wave and hot summer months, a cool room can help alleviate intense heat. Air cooler may function like a fan unlike air conditioner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom