• Nope ! May Be Later !

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

go4inet

In the zone
Hi Guys,

Lots of us still have some basic doubts on what Longhorn is all about, though I can share a few bits that I knew about Microsoft Longhorn. This was actually presented by the Offcials from Microsoft @ our college symposium. They showed us a 15 Minutes video clips of what Longhorn was really all about ? And what features it had and so on. So if ur new to longhorn and wanna get more info. Just watch this space and you might landup in Microsoft !

What is Longhorn?
---------------------

Longhorn is the codename for the next version of Windows.

Like Windows XP?
---------------------

No. XP was merely an update to 2000.

Comparision : 2000 / XP / Longhorn

NT versions
-------------

Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Longhorn are all Windows NT.

Windows 2000 >> Windows NT 5.0
Windows XP >>Windows NT 5.1
Windows Server 2003 >> Windows NT 5.2
Windows Longhorn >> Windows NT 6.0

As you can see, XP is merely 2000 + Themes. 2003 is just a slimmed-down version of XP.

Longhorn is a whole new version. Like going from NT 4 to 2000, going from XP to Longhorn is BIG.

Where can I get it?
---------------------
It won't be released until around 2005

Some News !
---------------

Microsoft Corp. is working on security technologies for the upcoming Longhorn release of Windows that will protect users against security threats by monitoring system and network behavior as well as the security patches that Microsoft has issued.

The new technologies will allow Windows to detect irregular system behavior -- in terms of network traffic, memory usage and system calls, for example -- and respond to them automatically, Microsoft Chairman and Chief Software Architect Bill Gates said in a presentation at the RSA Conference in San Francisco

InformationWeek is reporting that Gartner is now saying that Longhorn won't get here until late 2006, and possibly even later. Keep in mind that they are talking about the server version of Longhorn, not the client version (the client version is ahead of the server version at this point).

Where to Blog about LongHorn ?
------------------------------------

www.longhornblogs.com - This is best place for you to learn more abt Microsoft Longhorn.

*msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn/art/codenameLonghorn.JPG

OP
G

go4inet

In the zone
Snapshot : Windows Longhorn (Desktop View)
------------------------------------------------------

Title : Microsoft Windows Longhorn - Desktop ( 800 X 600 )
Size : 208 KB
Format : .GIF

*www.cressida2k4.com/desktop.gif

Madhav

Broken In
There are a lot of diffs bw XP/2K3 and Longhorn!:::

WinFX extending the .net framework.
Indigo .net web services
WinFS new filesystem. will run ONTOP of NTFS and will have improved catalog and search services...
Aero the codename for the new user interface n experience
Avalon next generation windows platform.

OP
G

go4inet

In the zone
Madhav, You Are Right ! I guess there are lots of diffrence between the OS from Microsoft !

And I dont know why id : it_waaznt_me is telling me that I am a spammer ? Do u guys think so ? If so tell me plz ! And I will never ever post any forums. I wanna provide you guys with some cool stuff ! Have Fun !

OP
G

go4inet

In the zone
But Microsoft says ... Longhorn will be realeased only after 2006 ! Does that mean ? We Have Stay on for 2 more Years ?

And there is a talk that Microsoft is gonna release Microsoft Windowd Reloaded ! Is that so ? May be that will be released soon !

Madhav

Broken In
i'v hrd that windows xp reloaded will only be an OEM release... like Windows 98SE

there arnt gonna be any changes except that SP2 is goin to bslipstreamed.

am i correct?

Prodigy

Right off the assembly line
Hello

Well Buddy,,,
Dont think of others ,,,Jus go on Posting

U jus came now,,,but thre r many people who r just spamming ,,,they hardly have 10 words in their post...

Whre will u put them ,,It_wasnt_me,,,,
Plz keep Quiet ,,,,
And then wht u mean by this,,,
You are a spammer ..
we dont listen to your topics

Humm,,,this is too harsh man,,,,Plz dont post like this,,

But one think i shld sauy I didnt like ur post criticising Addipa ( that poll which u put )...

Hope uve changed now

OP
G

go4inet

In the zone
Hi Prodigy !

Thanks for your commennts ! And I put a poll against Addipa because he was irritating me like a hell. I never go against anyone ! Like he put poll telling everyone that whether everyone likes my poll. But Guess what ? Everyone supported me ! My Aim is to share what ever I have to all ! Have Fun ! Thanks for supporting me pal !

OP
G

go4inet

In the zone
Must Check These Links !

*www.winsupersite.com/longhorn/
*www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_hillel_tjeerd.asp
*www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_hillel_tjeerd_2.asp
*www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_task-based_ui.asp
*www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_preview.asp
*www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_4051_01.asp

Have Fun ! Post Ur Reviews !

OP
G

go4inet

In the zone
You Will Be Amazed With This Pic !

*www.winsupersite.com/images/showcase/longhorn_fake_7.gif

Expect this in Windows Longhorn which is gonna change the computing world. Have Fun :)

Switch

Broken In
I dont know a lot about Win Xp itself so wont say a lot about longhorn but i just know one thing that except for the visual advancements win Xp is nothing but a super tweaked version of Win 2000. I had masterd Win NT quite a lot and switching to Win 2000 from NT was nothing but sheer fun. I never liked 95/98/ME platform. Dont know why. They just had to be formatted every week or so on my PC. But NT and 2000 used to stay for quite a while. I can say same about Xp but i am just a little dissappointed with Xp in terms of expectations which i was looking from it. I dont want to start a flame or Xp vs 2000 comparision poll or something just the expectation was too much(In terms of feature enhancements). Any user who would have shifted from ME or 98 to Xp would have definately been satisfied. But 2000 to Xp was below that expectation level.

I just hope Longhorn should just not be like that. It should offer something different in terms of performance. I dont want visual enhancements. Yes they do look good no doubt. But they require that much hardware to support it.

Just a thought.

P.S. Just how many of you really know the feature differences between Office 2000/Xp/2003. Think about it

OP
G

go4inet

In the zone
I guess Swicth has given us a right opinion ! I think only the visual advancement is improving and nothing much in programming areas. May be thats gonna change in Longhorn ! Switch Seems to be very experienced ! So whats ur view. Is upgrading to Longhorn is worth or mere waste of money ? Please tell me ur views Technically !

OP
G

go4inet

In the zone
Hey Guys !

Find Something For You ! Wanna get the real experience of Windows Longhorn ? Check This Link Then ! Got loads of stuffs which U have been waiting for !

*www.pro-networks.org/forum/Longhorn.php

The Links is damn good ! Enjoy !

Switch

Broken In
go4inet said:
I guess Swicth has given us a right opinion ! I think only the visual advancement is improving and nothing much in programming areas. May be thats gonna change in Longhorn ! Switch Seems to be very experienced ! So whats ur view. Is upgrading to Longhorn is worth or mere waste of money ? Please tell me ur views Technically !

I will not comment on longhorn now cause i really dont know whats it its gonna be like and as you said its not coming for next 2 yrs so i will not even think about it a lot...

What is interesting is that Microsoft or for that matter any other company will make thier new software which will require the latest hardware... and vice versa... I know that everybody knows that fact but i know that everybody including me falls for that.

I was reading about the PCI Expresses and how nVIDIA and ATI are preparing themselves for it... I can very well imagine the type of hype which will be created to sell the latest technology... But this time i have promised to myself that i am not gonna be SUCKED by the hype.

OP
G

go4inet

In the zone
Hi Switch,

So ! Whats ur conclusion ? What will be the next version of windows ? U mean to say, we should wait for another 2 years for Microsoft to release a new OS or what ? And there is talk that the next updated version of Windows XP is Windows XP Reloaded ! Is this true ? May u know something abt that ! And check the links which I have specified above in the two posts. They give u a comprehensive view of Microsoft Windows Longhorn !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom