lifer1

Broken In
Hi all

I've used hp pavilion dv68833 for three years now, actually it's 4+ years old. Hard drive had developed bad sectors(a couple of months ago) and after re-installation it works though. Battery i think needs to be replaced for the second time. And the AC adapter too has some wiggly issues and works only in some positions. I usually have to adjust the position to have it on AC power ----battery is poor even when it's fully charged, it can only give 40 minutes for document work and 20 minutes for multi media(video clips/movies etc) . Not all of the quick launch buttons get powered these days. I'd like to replace this with a new laptop in near future.

My requirements:

1) Weight must be less than the one i'm having(the current one is around 6 pounds)

2) Heat must be less or negligible without adding any cooler/doc etc.

3) Battery should be more than or equal to 3 hours(even with resource intense work).

4) Budget could be under USD 800 or equivalent. Would prefer something between 500 -700.

5) Must be ergonomic about keyboard, trackpad design and be easy on fingers, eyes.

6) Should be durable and not create issues for replacement of battery or ac adapter or something else on the device within first 3 years.

7) It'd be used for web browsing, document work, video chatting, watching photos and if possible occasional creation, watching videos, movies and moderate gaming occasionally.

8) The laptop could be superior to the one i'm already having regarding technology, processing and other resources but certainly not inferior to the current one.

Please let me know the recommendations. Lay or expert opinion equally welcome.

Last edited:
OP
L

lifer1

Broken In
I just hope that i have not posted this on the wrong section. Please folks, help me out on this. Thanks in advance.

arick

Broken In
Answer the questions below first :-
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-netbooks/156722-questionnaire-laptop-notebook-purchase.html
Then only people can help u.

OP
L

lifer1

Broken In
Thanks Arick for pointing to that resource. Though i have given the requirements above, i would put them in the said format.

1) Budget is between 500 usd and 800 usd -----in INR this may fall between 26K and 44K. (Budget around 35 k would be preferable)

2) I'm already having 15.4 inch screen, i'd prefer between 15 and 15.6 inch screen. Current one's weight is 6.2 pounds or 2.75 kg, new one shall not weigh more. Less weight would be preferable.

3) Don't think will get a mac as it's expensive and have restrictions. Haven't heard much good about samsung, acer etc. No specific likes. I have only experience with HP and DELL if there's something better than these two then it may be fine.

4) Primary tasks: Web browsing, document work, Moderate video chatting, watching photos and if possible occasional creation, watching videos, movies and moderately resource intense gaming occasionally. May also use it to store documents, files, music, movies that i want to preserve and have it handy.

5) Current display is 1280 x 800 resolution as this is WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen. I came onto this screen from 800*600(an old desktop) and initially felt difficulty adjusting. Any better resolution that's easy on eyes is ok. I think the current one is glossy screen, and would prefer matte ahead of glossy if i could get it. Atleast it'd help with less glare/reflection and may be easy on eyes.

6) Heat must be less or negligible without adding any cooler/doc etc----a related question ---does energy star certification imply less heat?.

Battery should be more than or equal to 3 hours(even with resource intense work).

Must be ergonomic about keyboard, trackpad(should be textured and easy on fingers) design and be easy on fingers, eyes. Should be durable and not create issues for replacement of battery or ac adapter or something else on the device within first 3 years. The laptop could be superior to the one i'm already having regarding technology, processing and other resources but certainly not inferior to the current one. Purchase is likely to be done in U.S but can't rule out the purchase in india. Please give best options.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
You should also look out for the ones with international warranty.

Have a look at this> Vaio VPCSE25FX/B.

In $840, you get:
  • i5-2450M
  • 1080p IPS display (though it will be great jump for you from WXGA, but worth it IMO)
  • 6 GB RAM
  • 6630M GPU (a mediocre one, but enough for you)
  • Backlit keyboard (beauty ;) )
  • Only 4.4lbs as per your requirement
  • BD ROM

I don't think you will get a better deal than this in this budget.

OP
L

lifer1

Broken In
Thanks Dashing sujay. How cool does this Vaio VPCSE25FX/B run? For me heat is a factor. I'd prefer very less or negligible heat.

OP
L

lifer1

Broken In
Hi Sujay

Is there another recommendation besides Vaio VPCSE25FX/B that could be purchased in India and satisfying other requirements?

Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
L

lifer1

Broken In
Hi Sujoy Thanks for answering promptly.

The sony vaio one might be a good one config. wise, but i think it's not available in india and even in U.S, the model is mostly out of stock. And my hp hard drive after the first reset to factory settings a few months ago, has got into trouble again---the DLWD diagnostics and other hard drive tools fail with the read operation stopping with the sector 860415. I was wondering if i could just replace the hard drive or get a new one in india. I had already replaced the wiggling ac adapter as it died overnight demanding an immediate replacement as the data got stuck.

So i was looking at other possible models that might be available in india at this point, if i choose to make a purchase in a week or so.

OP
L

lifer1

Broken In
So Sujoy you don't think there are any good models that could be purchased in india even if they are not at par with sony vaio Vaio VPCSE25FX/B?

Yes replacing HDD is one idea that could also extend the life of the machine.

OP
L

lifer1

Broken In
Hi Sujoy

Thanks for that recommendation. The model looks good. Is this graphic processor--- Intel HD Graphics 4000 good enough?

And the model shows no OS except freeDOS.

I tried to replace the hdd on the hp with the help of a technician. But it refuses to load a new operating system from the boot CD(win7) irrespective of internal drive or another external drive. It always returns a message, 'Operating system not found'. Would you know what could be the reason? and how to rectify it?

Thanks for the patience and the answers.

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
For casual tasks and mediocre (not high end games) gaming, HD4000 is good enough. Yeah the ProBook comes without OS.

I tried to replace the hdd on the hp with the help of a technician. But it refuses to load a new operating system from the boot CD(win7) irrespective of internal drive or another external drive. It always returns a message, 'Operating system not found'. Would you know what could be the reason? and how to rectify it?

May be the OS media was corrupt. Have you tried USB ?

OP
L

lifer1

Broken In
Sujoy, The technician has used the same OS media to install successfully in other systems before and after trying on this HP system. So there does not seem to be any problem with the media. This HP though always had ignored bootable operating systems. Earlier when it's new, it didn't let install XP, and then never let the live bootable cds of linux work but worked with different other media. Even having BIOS boot priority to READ/WRITE drive never did the trick. Don't know if it needs jail-breaking or something :)

What do you think about upcoming hybrid models having a hinge to switch between tablet and laptop surface?

Is there a pro-book model with a better integrated GPU? However i understand that this HD4000 is better than the current one x3100 media accelerator. Does any pro-book model got BD rom?

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
hmm not allowing XP can be understood, but otherwise not.

Hybrid model is of personal taste, I can't comment on it.

Yes, but that was with 2nd gen CPUs, something like 75**, IIRC. No BD-ROM though.

OP
L

lifer1

Broken In
Sujoy

Was concerned if i get a machine without OS and again i get into trouble unable to install any OS? Would these probooks be friendly to install a new OS? Would these probooks have good video and audio quality than hp pavilion ones or atleast equal to them? I just hope they are cool(without much heat) if i choose to get one.

Also what's the difference between 3rd gen. i3 and i5? Which one is better?

In some places i ve heard that disabling SATA mode on BIOS will get work done. But my BIOS is very simple with very limited options without much leverage.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Yes, you'll surely be able to install new OS'. Still I'll confirm it from one of my friend who bought a probook some months ago.

Regarding audio/video quality, yeah it is on par with pavilion series.

I guess you're referring to 2nd gen i5 ? i5 (regardless of gen) is of course much better, but for you're use, 3rd gen i3 would do. 3rd gen brought 22nm fabrication based on Tri-gate transistors on the table. Most remarking improvement was iGPU, i.e. HD4000, which was as good as GT 525M. Performance wise, not much of difference.

Yeah, disabling SATA legacy mode is sometimes done when BIOS doesn't allows installing XP. Can't say about linux though, it should be swift (I assume).

OP
L

lifer1

Broken In
Ok Sujoy, please let me know about the OS after confirmation.

Actually i intended to ask about the 3rd gen i3 and 3rd gen. i5. The doubt came after having a look at the following models:

HP 4440s ProBook (3rd Gen Ci5/ 6GB/ 500GB/ DOS): Flipkart.com

HP 4540s ProBook (3rd Gen Ci5/8GB/ 500GB/ DOS): Flipkart.com

Top Bottom