What is the use of 1080p display

Gaurav265

A PC GAMER
I have read somewhere that human eye can't differenciate ppi higher than approx. 250.now a days many 1080p display phones have released.so,i want to know that what is the use of 1080p display or 441ppi if we cant see differences,is 720p display is not enough.guys plss clear my doubts,and plsss don't laugh on me.

Thanks

rish1

Cyborg Agent
don't laugh on me.

why laugh ? we all know about somethings and we all do not know other things :)

if you look closely at your screen human eye won't be able to see pixels above 320-330 ppi ( that's why apple calls its display as retina display )

a 720 p inch screen at 4.5 inch resolution will give you 326 ppi

if you increase the size of the screen keeping the resolution same as 720p

a 5 inch display with a 720p display will give you 290 ppi
a 5.5 inch display with a 720p resolution will give you 267ppi

so you see it will not be as sharp as 4.5 inch as it has fallen below that retina level..

so as you keep on increasing the screen size without changing resolution the screen will become less and less sharp and more grainy

so 1080p is useful only in devices having more than 5 inches display. and today's smartphones are coming in 6 inches . so in order to look as sharp as a 4.5 inch screen it needs 1080p resolution

Having said that
now there is con of 1080p also .. it requires more GPU Power and cpu to run 1080p resolution than 720p resolution

so if you have same same gpu
then a game will run slower on a 1080p resolution but will look much better and sharp
whereas if you run the same game in 720p resolution it will run faster than 1080p but will not be as sharp and as good looking as 1080p

Now in practice why manufacturers do that ? we all can survive with 300 ppi screens right .. they do it because it is a spec race competition.. the other competitor will provide the best hardware that is possible on this planet regardless of its utility or practical usage

we don't need 8 cores in a mobile or 4 gb ram but still manufacturers will give us that because their competitor is offering the same and people buy android mobiles looking at the specs sheet.. the higher the specs a phone has the better it is marketed and it will sell better .. next year galaxy s5 will have 4gb ram , 2k display , 8 core 64 bit processor ...

Last edited:
I have read somewhere that human eye can't differenciate ppi higher than approx. 250.now a days many 1080p display phones have released.so,i want to know that what is the use of 1080p display or 441ppi if we cant see differences,is 720p display is not enough.guys plss clear my doubts,and plsss don't laugh on me.

Thanks

I AM gonna laugh on that :lol:. :facaepalm: Seriously, why is everyone going crazy while typing?

Hrishi

Because it's all about bragging these days. Also this makes sure that technology keeps on reaching new levels.

1080p vs 720p , in anything less than 5" is not a good idea. Higher power consumption.
Manufacturers do this to ensure that their device is not left behind in the race to win the spec sheet challenge for an average consumer.

For an average consumer higher figures means better product. No matter whether they use it or not.

What makes me wonder is that laptops still come in 768p res. At 15" size. And that really su##s because there it really matters.

ankush28

Bazinga
More pixels = More battery requirements...

I think 720p with 4.5" should be OK! for anyone...
1080p-best for watching movies/videos.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
we don't require phones with 1080p display, but laptops with 1080p or higher resolution are definitely the need in 50k and above price segment.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
we don't require phones with 1080p display, but laptops with 1080p or higher resolution are definitely the need in 50k and above price segment.

Bullshit!! Even in laptops very rare are the times u will feel the need for a 1080p display
I've got a lot of laptops at home and only 2 have full hd displays and no one can see the difference between 1080p and 720p unless ur using some very gpu intensive program
Ohh and the laptops I compared are a HP DV6 3rd gen i7 1080p and a inspiron 15R turbo i5 720p

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
1080p display for a mere phone and I thought for a monitor.Why do you need such a display for a phone. Are you doing any 3D rendering or any number crunching in a phone buddy?

ankush28

Bazinga
Bullshit!! Even in laptops very rare are the times u will feel the need for a 1080p display
I've got a lot of laptops at home and only 2 have full hd displays and no one can see the difference between 1080p and 720p unless ur using some very gpu intensive program
Ohh and the laptops I compared are a HP DV6 3rd gen i7 1080p and a inspiron 15R turbo i5 720p

*i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/006/707/nothing-to-do-here-template.jpg.scaled500.jpg

ithehappy

Human Spambot
If Samsung doesn't provide 1080p displays fools won't buy them. And if fools don't buy then sales figure will be bad looking. I don't even have a 1080p monitor. 720p is more than enough already, for tiny displays like 5-6"

Hrishi

Go home, you're drunk. Just kidding.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1080P displays are very much the necessity of a 15' or higher displays because the screen looks pixelated at that size.
One can notice the individual pixels easily.

And the lower the screen resolution is the higher the results will be when performing a Graphic oriented test onscreen.

The only reason one should have 720p screen would be if your notebook can't throw that crunching power using its GPU , but you intend to play high end games without lowering native resolution.

O/w in majority of other aspects it's a win win for laptops.
For smartphones ( not those effing tablets) .... a 1080p resolution is generally more of a luxury and novelty rather than being something worthy of actual use. The drawbacks are more than benefits.

Screen quality(colour reproduction, contrast ratio, etc) also play an important role, not only ppi. Humans eyes can't distinguish pixels if ppi is 300+. So after that screen quality matters.
Example: S4 & Xperia Z's screen looks much better than my N4's screen

$hadow

Geek in making
Well the images and videos are bit more crispier on nexus 5 compared to my s3. Buy still it is a gimmick and Samsung is now trying to overhype it if they introduced 2k screen on s5.

ankush28

Bazinga
after few years we will see samsung tab 15 with 15" 4k display and 5.5 incher S6 with 4k display some 800 ppi :lol:
those will be powered by dual-octa cores ;)
later we will se 8K UHD with quad-Octa cores exynocrap
this is leaked information dont share it :p

Last edited:

Hrishi

after few years we will see samsung tab 15 with 15" 4k display and 5.5 incher S6 with 4k display some 800 ppi :lol:
those will be powered by dual-octa cores ;)
later we will se 8K UHD with quad-Octa cores exynocrap
this is leaked information dont share it :p

Jack daniel or Old Monk ??

Top Bottom