What is the difference between the different torrent websites available on the net?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajayritik

Technomancer
I dont know whether I'm supposed to mention the name of the sites like mininova and torrentz.com. We find some stuff in these sites which we can download. Do we have any ratio restrictions on these websites? Like will be there be any program that will be monitoring whether we are seeding the program after we finished downloading. There are other websites which keep a ratio restriction. i.e. we need to keep a ratio to continue downloading in future. What is the difference between these two websites? Can someone keep on downloading stuff from mininova and similiar websites without thinking about ratio and seeding?

goobimama

 Macboy
There's two types of torrent trackers. Private, and Public.

Public trackers are sites like mininova and piratebay. You don't need to register there and there's no system of tracking upload/download. You download as much as you want and upload as much as you want. However, since this system is a bit flawed, in that most users download a lot and upload little, the speeds are very limited. Also, there is sometimes a lack of exclusive content like special editions of CDs and such.

Private trackers on the other hand reign in content as well as speed. Since you have to maintain a good upload ratio, a lot of users seed a torrent which results in a high speed download for you. Also, many of the private trackers focus on certain types of files and it results in a lot of content that remains exclusive to them.

Go get yourself an invite to a private tracker like torrentleech, or the best of all...oink.

I hope this is not advertising, but here's a small little guide. Hope you find it useful:
*goobimama.blogspot.com/2007/07/goobimamas-guide-to-download-stuff.html

Last edited:
OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Thanks for the info Gobimama! Do you have any tutorials on u torrent? What are the ideal settings that one should set? I need to know what do the different symbols mean like Red, green etc ..

goobimama

 Macboy
utorrent has a help page on all kinds of stuff.

Otherwise I don't have any 'settings' per se for downloading full speed (I usually get speeds of 220KBps+ while using private trackers). Just load it in and you're done. Of course, if you are on a time-frame, then the scheduler becomes very handy...

Status
Not open for further replies.