what does 2 stand here? www2.blogger.com/login.g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ankur Mittal

Journeyman
www2 stands for the Web 2 which is the new version of World Wide Web.You can read more about it at-
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2.0

hailgautam

Youngling
Ow! though i had seen that 2 and also knew that Blogger is on Web 2.0 never linked them together...thanx

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
ehh ??

Guyess nothing fancy is about www2, any one with a good hosting service may run his own www2. site...

its just a subdomain...

all these,

www2.
www3.
www101.

all these are just subdomains, like album.doorersathi.com i have created another sub domain to show an example...

check out my own www2.doorersathi.com which is just another subdomain.... :)

:)

hope i am clear :)

VexByte

Norms Buster
But I've also seen sites which are not Web 2.0 compliant using www2 prefix. So what does that signify ?

From my own XPerience every Tom, Dick & Harry are using the www2 prefix just like a subdomain !!!

sakumar79

Technomancer
It has nothing to do with Web 2 standards... As Saurav_cheeta pointed out www2.xyz.com is just a subdomain of www.xyz.com... For instance, the owner of www.sony.com has a subdomain called esupport.sony.com - the esupport is the subdomain created by the owner for working with ease... He can very well have used www.sony.com/esupport but sometimes, using subdomains is more meaningful...

Arun

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
sakumar79 said:
It has nothing to do with Web 2 standards... As Saurav_cheeta pointed out www2.xyz.com is just a subdomain of www.xyz.com... For instance, the owner of www.sony.com has a subdomain called esupport.sony.com - the esupport is the subdomain created by the owner for working with ease... He can very well have used www.sony.com/esupport but sometimes, using subdomains is more meaningful...

Arun

Yes, Subdomains help when you want to use Multiple servers for a Single Site.

Say
xyz.com points to MAIN Server
support.xyz.com points to server2
and so on.

www2 is actaully a Subdomain. Nothing more :)

unni

In the zone
But how can the address work without www. For instance: esupport.sony.com. I have also seen sites that won't load if you add www at the beginning. I don't remember their address now.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
i dont think its for web2.0... there r www4's too....

www is the default web server, which is usually the same as www1 or www<whatever>
www may sometimes be switched to www2 www3 or www4 during upgrades etc.

fyi there is also wwwl as in wwwl.meebo.com!
It just is a different name for the same thing. Try www.meebo.com, u may sometimes get www2.meebo.com, sometimes www4.meebo.com or as I'm r gettin now wwwl.meebo.com!!!

Last edited:

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
unni said:
But how can the address work without www. For instance: esupport.sony.com. I have also seen sites that won't load if you add www at the beginning. I don't remember their address now.

There are all DNS entries. Upto you...whether you want www or nothing or www2 or whatever

sakumar79

Technomancer
I think that when you make a call to esupport.sony.com, the request is sent to www.sony.com which redirects you to the correct server for esupport subdomain... But I may be wrong

Arun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom