Weird Windows app issues on Win 10

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Hi guys,

I am facing a weird problem on my win 10 desktop pc since the past month. Windows apps/store keeps saying internet connection issues but my internet is working fine. From steam app to spotify, it is struggling to work through app. Windows store too is giving the same error. Tried few things searching online but the problem persist. Some screenshots of what i mean . Please note that these apps are working fine when opened on chrome/Firefox. Similar issue with whatsapp desktop app where the messages are coming through but the images cannot be downloaded anymore but works fine when on firefox. Can someone help
1696071537150.png

Spotify
1696071622419.png

1696071519175.png

1696071656364.png

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Are you connected to some VPN? Could be your ISP is blocking some domains.
No vpn..Thought that could be the case so i started using internet from two different isp's..One is a local one and other jio. Its not working on both

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Tried changing DNS too and it didn't work. Problem seems to have occurred after an update. At this point, i am contemplating getting a win 11 licensed software

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Next time you do a clean install of Windows and setup all your apps and personalization, use a suitable disk cloning/backup software and create a baseline backup image of your system partitions (EFI, Recovery and C drive)

In a very LIKELY event of Windows getting corrupted beyond repair due to updates, virus, unknown events, just restore the system partition intact from the backup, if built-in system restore function is unable to resolve the issue.

On an SSD, the whole process should not take more than 10 -15 minutes and saves you a lot of hassle of resetting Windows and reinstalling your apps and setting it up again.

However this is a bit advanced process, so preferably play with it in a VM before you actually implement it to know the exact steps.

My Windows 10 is very stable so far because I have permanently disabled updates using a third-party tool called SledgeHammer 2.7.2

Last edited:
OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Try flushing DNS: *www.howtogeek.com/783368/how-to-flush-dns-on-windows-10/
Thanks to this, the spotify desktop app is now working but the windows store and other problems continue to persist. Really strange why this is happening.. Happened right after an update from what i recall

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Next time you do a clean install of Windows and setup all your apps and personalization, use a suitable disk cloning/backup software and create a baseline backup image of your system partitions (EFI, Recovery and C drive)

In a very LIKELY event of Windows getting corrupted beyond repair due to updates, virus, unknown events, just restore the system partition intact from the backup, if built-in system restore function is unable to resolve the issue.

On an SSD, the whole process should not take more than 10 -15 minutes and saves you a lot of hassle of resetting Windows and reinstalling your apps and setting it up again.

However this is a bit advanced process, so preferably play with it in a VM before you actually implement it to know the exact steps.

My Windows 10 is very stable so far because I have permanently disabled updates using a third-party tool called SledgeHammer 2.7.2
Could you recommend a good clong/back up software? Don't mind if it means paying for the app.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Do an OS reset without keeping files once. Also, Win11 is a free upgrade to Win10.
I was keeping this as a last resort but i guess i am left with no choice now.. I did know about the free upgrade but i didn't receive it yet. Figured i may not get it or may have to purchase it

patkim

Cyborg Agent
  1. Macrium Reflect – Paid but with a trial
  2. Acronis True Image (Home protect) – Paid but with a trial
  3. AOMEI Backupper – Basic version free (sufficient), advanced version paid

As far as Windows 11 is concerned, if your PC has an official Windows 10 Digital license (OEM/Retail) registered on MS Servers, then you can just do a clean install of matching edition of Windows 11 and you will automatically get a free digital license for your Windows 11.

However, if you are not too sure how to match the edition, then do an in-place upgrade.

Download Windows 11 ISO from MS. Extract the contents on a pen drive. Have sufficient free space on C drive, at least 25 – 30 GB. Connect the pen drive and from within Explorer of Windows 10 just click on setup.exe from Windows 11 installer files. Your system will upgrade to Windows 11, provided your PC meets all the requirements.

Run this tool from here to test, *www.whynotwin11.com/

Alternatively use Rufus to create an USB Pen drive installer and use the option ‘Remove requirement for 4GB+ RAM, Secure Boot and TPM 2.0’. But this may need clean install rather than in-place upgrade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom