Weird Problem Browsing some Websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charley

Just Do It
When I hit www.google.com in the browser, it redirects me to *64.28.180.146/index.php, then it open pages located in this site *clckm.com/?dn=xxxx.com, only the xxxx.com changes to other names, the other link remains same when I enter google.com several times.

There is nothing wrong with my broswer nor computer as many other websites work without any hassles.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
you are infected from some adwares and spywares.

Try other browser like..firefox or opera..
I am sure..you can surf using those browsers.

But that is not final solution..you need to remove those unwanted malwares using antivirus and antispywares.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
What are your DNS numbers? Are you using those provided by your ISP or some other? Looks like a simple DNS lookup problem to me :)

sakumar79

Technomancer
If it happens on all browsers like Opera and Firefox also, check your hosts file... See *www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm and check the hosts file for suspicious entries...

Arun

NucleusKore

TheSaint
@sakumar79---You know he's running Vista?

Oh and by the way, a HOSTS file in Windows, now doesn't that look familiar

/etc/hosts

:D

Last edited:

sakumar79

Technomancer
@NucleusKore, didnt get you... Whether he is running Vista or XP or 2k, HOSTS file is used... And if UAC is turned off in Vista, etc, it is possible for the file to get edited without knowledge...

I think HOSTS file has been available since Windows 95 and is possibly similar to what Linux does in /etc/hosts...

Arun

OP
Charley

Charley

Just Do It
But that is not final solution..you need to remove those unwanted malwares using antivirus and antispywares.

AVG shows nothing infected.
What are your DNS numbers? Are you using those provided by your ISP or some other? Looks like a simple DNS lookup problem to me

How do I find that out ? BTW, I am using the Dataone BRoadband.

sakumar79---You know he's running Vista?

I am on Win 98 SE.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I do not reacall how to do that in windows 98, but I think you have to open my computer-> Dial Up Networking, or is it in Network Neighbourhood? Anywya right click on your LAN and select properties, in that TCP/IP. You will see the primary and secondary DNS number in that

This looks like a browser hijack to me buddy. Go to <windows dir>\system32\drivers\etc. There are two files there, Hosts (without extension) and lmhosts.sam. open these files in notepad and try to look at lines like

www.google.com *64.28.180.146/index.php

These are redirections that may be causing the problem. Remove them all, just leave the localhost 127.0.0.1 redirection. Hope this solves some problem.

OP
Charley

Charley

Just Do It
Anywya right click on your LAN and select properties, in that TCP/IP. You will see the primary and secondary DNS number in that

Here is a screenshot, let me know what must be done. :)

*img201.imagevenue.com/loc107/th_71446_File_123_107lo.jpg

[img=*img201.imagevenue.com/loc107/th_71446_File_123_107lo.jpg]

There are two files there, Hosts (without extension) and lmhosts.sam. open these files in notepad and try to look at lines like

Here is a screenshot, let me know what must be done. :)

*img196.imagevenue.com/loc142/th_71451_Files_123_142lo.jpg

[img=*img196.imagevenue.com/loc142/th_71451_Files_123_142lo.jpg]

NucleusKore

TheSaint
There is the problem in your lan properties. Both the DNS are WRONG, and might even be malicious. It might have been changed by some virus/malware. Delete both those numbers and add these

BSNL

MTNL

Airtel

Alternatively, use OpenDNS (any ISP)

OP
Charley

Charley

Just Do It
might have been changed by some virus/malware.

This is what the dataone engineer entered in the box.

Delete both those numbers and add these

Thanks NucleusKore, it worked. All websites function normally.

Great to have guys like you on this forum. :)

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
You're welcome.
Now that you have cured the symptom, lets cure the disease. If you have 256 MB RAM or more
1. Register for a free email at aol.com
2. Throw away your existing antivirus
3. Go to *safety.aol.com and download their free antivirus (its McAfee)
4. Install and scan your system

DNS numbers are not supposed to change by themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom