Wanted Web Host

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Hi There
I want to buy some a Virtual Web Host mainly for setting a website(it would be Linix related and mainly for learning) It should be Linux based and I could use phpBB, wordpress, a wiki in it.
I dont think I need huge bandwidth since I would offload pictures to PictureBucket, etc. But I am not very sure. I aim for 10-100 users per day.
I also want FTP access.
And Of course cheaper the better.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
From your sig Link

Large Hosting Plan - Rs 1000/Annually
2000 MB Web Space
40000 MB Bandwidth
DirectAdmin with Installatron (Fantastico Equivalent)
FREEE DOMAIN (.com, .net, .org, .info)
E-mail Accounts: Unlimited
MySQL Databases: Unlimited
FTP Accounts: Unlimited
Parked Domains: 5
Addon Domains: 5
PHP4 & PHP5
99.9% Uptime

seems attractive to me.

Sorry for being a n00b But will I be able to host Wordpress Blogs, phpBB,Wiki,etc. as I mentioned earlier.
Also Do You accept Credit Card Payment? I dont have Paypal or HDFC account.

Dude...
n00b? no worries
i was one too till the ThinkDigit forum helped me out
Check out this thread:
*thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90347

Should sort out some doubts :)

And most site hosts do allow Wordpress, bulletin boards and wikis

All the best :)

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
This forum has few members selling web hosting. Please go through Bazaar section. You can look in my signature also.

@Anurag_Panda*thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74717
Go through the bazaar section please
Again
Take your time with selecting your host :)
There are dozens of offers available from many hosts;)
Choose one which will suit your need
And keep your eye out for coupons

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
I suggest *www.whost.in or *www.techiehost.org (Both arr managed by the same guy Ravi-the poster of post#6 in this thread).

Though I agree that his diskspace and data transfer ratio is higher than other hosts, I still recommend that host for the main reasons that overselling is not a practice and resources are always adequate(most of the times more than adequate).

Also, ultra cheap web hosts and their clients always run the risk of being sidelined by heavy resource consumption due to abuse. Whost does not have this issue. Earlier I was hosted with another guy(IGChosting.in) and found that its IP address was blacklisted due to being abused.

sahiljassal

Right off the assembly line
Hi There
I want to buy some a Virtual Web Host mainly for setting a website(it would be Linix related and mainly for learning) It should be Linux based and I could use phpBB, wordpress, a wiki in it.
I dont think I need huge bandwidth since I would offload pictures to PictureBucket, etc. But I am not very sure. I aim for 10-100 users per day.
I also want FTP access.
And Of course cheaper the better.

Any recommendations?
Rs 1200 per annum. All enabled.
call me 9888893000

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
What about Hosts like Go Daddy?

The Plans like these seem good.
Will they offer those features I asked in the Original Post? Or is there a Fine Print, Restrictions, or any other problems in their hosting?

Listen
First decide how much space you need
A website (a homepage, other pages, etc..) need about 4 to 20 MB depending on your design
If you are going to store lots of content and heavily use email, then 500MB/1GB of space should do the trick

Secondly decide how many no. of visitors you can expect per month
This can be done if your site has good content and thus, is popular
I'd say about 3 to 5GB of bandwith should do..again consult the resident experts before proceeding.

Lastly, what sort of domain do you require? .com,.net,.info?
See the list of domains that the host can provide with their prices

Godaddy has good offers, but I doubt whether you'll need a great amount of space
Buy only what is neccessary :)

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
:)

Well I dont think I need THAT much space to be honest. I think 200-300 MB would be fine for me. As for bandwidth I have not much idea.
I plan to hosts a few wikis on programming, CMSes like Joomla, Drupal, etc. and also phpBB Forum (the forum would be mainly for personal uses, because I think a forum would be great for me to store the various things I learn) and mainly I want for learning stuff.(I had set up LAMP in my PC, and ran few CMS and it was fun :p) and also I want to learn scripting through this manner.
Also I would love Shell Login too.

What I really want is a host where I can customize my pages and learn to my heart content.

But I am getting greedy in this process too. :p

EDIT: I am actually looking at .com domain.

Last edited:

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Paid Solutions:
Try Outpowerhosting - *outpowerhosting.com They offer the cheapest plans you will find anywhere And are also the one with highest quality. I myself have got Outpowerhosting and so far my website has got 100% uptime since last 5months. (tests conducted with several scripts and site monitoring websites).
Free Solutions:
If you are looking for a temporary solution , you can try - x10hosting.com which will give u 99% uptime ,adfree 300MB space and 10GB bandwidth. also there is 000webhost.com and if u dont need PHP you should get 110mb.com which will give u 5GB Space and 30GB Bandwidth with of course 99% Uptime.

Conclusion:

I Really Recommend that you get a paid host like outpower hosting.However ,The free hosting sites which i mentioned are quite good but they offer 99% uptime wheras a paid host will give u 99.9% uptime.
Its up to you to decide which host to take.I have offered you with all the choices and I hope that I help you in finding a good hosting company.

And I forgot to add that outpowerhosting has Many Many Satisfied ThinkDigit Customers including me :D

Last edited:
^^
And me too :D
Outpowerhosting is highly recommended
As you have stated the reason behind website use
I'd say anything between 200/300 mb is a good buy :)
Check out OutpowerHosting on ThinkDigit:
*thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74717

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Also I Forgot to mentioned , that Overselling is disabled on outpowerhosting Which means clients NEVER Face the risk of being sidelined by heavy resource consumption due to abuse. :D :D

It just keeps getting better and better, doesnt it? :D
@Anurag_panda
Please remove the domain name you have selected from your post as it "might" inspire someone else to create a site with that domain before you can

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Domain Name Removed.

Now I am looking at your suggestions. They look good.

Thanks TheWiseCrab and The Conqueror and everyone else. I really appreciate your help. :)

Gursimran

WebDev :)
If your webhost have cpanel with fantastico, you can install wordpress and other CMSes with in seconds just like an windows installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom