Want to buy External HDD* for my photographs collection

kool

Cyborg Agent
Guys,
need some advice. Basically i want a to buy Portable HDD for collection of last 6 year of digital photographs by my SONY digital camera. I think its more than 150 GB photos & vids. I'm tired up burning DVDs. U guys suggest me, burning DVDs is better idea or should i go for Portable Harddisk? If u r going to advice me to buy HDD. then i want these things:

1) Space 200GB+
2) my PC has USB 2.0, buying USB 3.0 HDD will increase transfer speed or this will work on only USB 3.0 ports on PC/Lappy ?
3) I want strong body cabinet HDD, so if by mistake it dropped, data should be safe
4) Small size, cute looking :)
5) Warranty: 2+ year
6) Budget Rs.2000 (anybody can provide me online buying coupon:razz:)

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Seagate goflex portable 320GB@2.3k or WD essential portable 500GB USB 2.0/USB 3.0 @2.55k.
Note-Price from flipkart.com
Cheers :D

OP
kool

kool

Cyborg Agent
Seagate goflex portable 320GB@2.3k or WD essential portable 500GB USB 2.0/USB 3.0 @2.55k.
Note-Price from flipkart.com
Cheers :D
Which HDD is best? And what things should i keep in mind while buying HDD...??? reply.. :idea::idea:

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Both are good.USB3 is added advantages in wd one....but you will get the juice only if u have usb 3 in your computer.But looking at the price point wd looks good deal.

OP
kool

kool

Cyborg Agent
Both are good.USB3 is added advantages in wd one....but you will get the juice only if u have usb 3 in your computer.But looking at the price point wd looks good deal.

You sure........?? What things are important to look in External HDD..?? :-|:-|

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Guys,
U guys suggest me, burning DVDs is better idea or should i go for Portable Harddisk?

both r better in their own ways (DVD or HDD)...
DVD: data is archived & preserved...no possibility of Crash except scratches...
HDD: Long-Life as compared to DVD but no guarantee of Crash....:-o

and for HDD buy WD/Seagate (I prefer WD more) & not iomega...

OP
kool

kool

Cyborg Agent

So USB 3.0 is useless for me? Is there any cable that can make from USB 2 to USB 3 for future use for my desktop and HDD?

both r better in their own ways (DVD or HDD)...
DVD: data is archived & preserved...no possibility of Crash except scratches...
HDD: Long-Life as compared to DVD but no guarantee of Crash....:-o

and for HDD buy WD/Seagate (I prefer WD more) & not iomega...

I've 20 DVDs and i feel lazy to put in drive to view pics. :oops: But guys tell me, how HDD can crash ? And whats life of HDD?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
^USB 3.0 is not useless..its future proof...
u never know how it will crash..coz it happens with many of us...even my Seagate 250GB drive was crashed(I dont know how?)...
but it life is more than a DVD
also HDD has warranty of 3~5yrs but DVD has none...

OP
kool

kool

Cyborg Agent
I've checked these 4 on letsbuy.com, I've 15% discount coupon :):

WD Elements SE Portable 500GB (2.5 Inch / USB 2.0) @ Rs 2,450
WD My Passport Essential SE 500GB (2.5 Inch / USB 3.0) @ Rs 2,525
Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex (2.5 Inch) USB Kit Black 500GB @ Rs.2650
Seagate Expansion 500GB (2.5 Inch) Hard Drive @ Rs.2680
<what is this expansion and upgradable thing in this?>

So guys, nw suggest me..

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Yeah go for wd usb3 one.Only one usb cable given with the drive can used as both usb2/3 mode.Ask tkin or sam about the drive....recently they hav bought it.

MegaMind

Human Spambot
WD Elements SE Portable 500GB (2.5 Inch / USB 2.0) @ Rs 2,450
WD My Passport Essential SE 500GB (2.5 Inch / USB 3.0) @ Rs 2,525

USB 3.0 is of no use unless u have usb 3.0 port in ur mobo...

But the price diff. is barely 100 bucks.. so better to go for usb 3...

Even If you dont have a USB 3.0 port now you may have it later and I think 500 GB will last say 2 years ( Saying in terms of storage not reliability ) It is still a good option to go for .

Sarath

iDota
I have been facing the same problem. Like me if even you value the photos a lot then trust me you need multiple backups.

Lets face it HDDs crash. Since they alway carry huge amounts of data the blow is also huge.

I always burn DVDs of important Data and have one copy in my PC and another in my 640GB HDD (portable). Usually in some cases, more often than not, I have another set of DVDs and a copy in another lappy of my family member.

I lost a few important videos this way and can never forget the anguish of losing something so important.

ADD: I forgot to mention; I was trying to say that make copies in both DVDs preferably DVD-DL and HDD.

P.S. Me too working with 200GB data at present. Yes, now :)

Top Bottom