Wanna buy 100 DVDs at wholesale price

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yaa I know... m a ebay buyer and seller... ebay cost is a little high.... only buy those things that u can't find in local market...

I normally sell my used electronics on ebay... environmental awareness u know. I dont dump them in dustbin..... hehe :D

That's cool man! BTW, have you ever buyed stuff from Amazon? If yes, maybe you can help me at: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/internet-...post-your-purchase-experience-amazon-com.html

Do you play those SONY dvds in normal DVD player. SONY dvds are too slow when u rerwind or fast forward in DVD players.

No idea about DVD players. Don't use one. Have only used them in computers. I used to use Moder Baer and later switched to Sony, since it seems to me that Sony has greater reliability.

Wow. Lots of responses. What are the prices of dual layer dvds?

Dual Layer DVD's? Well, no idea, since never used. But if you are thinking to buy one, then I DON'T think equation would be like this: Price of Dual Layer DVD = 2 x Price of Normal DVD.
Also, I don't think, you can burn data on a dual layer DVD through a normal DVD writer!

sujoyp

Grand Master
Wow. Lots of responses. What are the prices of dual layer dvds?

My friend bought 50 dual layer DVDs for Rs.600...which is like Rs.12 a piece

But they r not reliable...failure rate is too much then normal ones...also total data is less
A dual layer dvd can contain nearly 7.8GB but 2 dvds can contain 8.8GB data thats a loss of 1 gb if price is comming same;-)

I am sorry for all these calculations me and my friends write like 25-30dvds a month soo we calculated everything:lol:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
My friend bought 50 dual layer DVDs for Rs.600...which is like Rs.12 a piece

But they r not reliable...failure rate is too much then normal ones...also total data is less
A dual layer dvd can contain nearly 7.8GB but 2 dvds can contain 8.8GB data thats a loss of 1 gb if price is comming same;-)

I am sorry for all these calculations me and my friends write like 25-30dvds a month soo we calculated everything:lol:

What was the brand of dual layers you bought? So, can we burn a dual later on normal DVD writers, of like LG and HP?

insaneYLN

In the zone
DVD writers of present age are capable of writing DVD-R DL & DVD+R DL (dual layer media).

If one is unsure about the write (& or read) features of one's optical drive, then Nero InfoTool is a quite a handy feature of Nero StartSmart that provides the necessary relevant information.
:smile:

Currently, dual layer recordable media are still expensive.
This is the best i could find at the moment -
eBay India: 10 Pack Moser Baer Dual Double Layer 8.5gb 8.5 GB DVD (item 130499427597 end time 27-Mar-2011 01:54:11 IST)

Can dual layer media be written in multisession mode?
:unsure:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
DVD writers of present age are capable of writing DVD-R DL & DVD+R DL (dual layer media).

If one is unsure about the write (& or read) features of one's optical drive, then Nero InfoTool is a quite a handy feature of Nero StartSmart that provides the necessary relevant information.
:smile:

Currently, dual layer recordable media are still expensive.
This is the best i could find at the moment -
eBay India: 10 Pack Moser Baer Dual Double Layer 8.5gb 8.5 GB DVD (item 130499427597 end time 27-Mar-2011 01:54:11 IST)

Can dual layer media be written in multisession mode?
:unsure:

1. Don't know about the difference b/w DVD-R and DVD+R, and its variant. Wikipedia just confuses! Can you provide some info or link regarding explaining it?
2. Thanks for the info about InfoTool. Looks handy app.
3. Well, I have had problems making even normal multi-sessions, such that, data written in previous sessions used to went completely invisible by the sessions written later. So I would not take chances to do the same on a dual-layer disk.
Logically speaking it doesn't make sense to make multisession disk, if you want disk for archival purposes!

insaneYLN

In the zone
DVD-R
DVD-R is a write-once medium very similar to CD-R, which was originally created by Pioneer and released by the DVD Forum in July 1997. DVD-R discs can be played on standard DVD-ROM drives. Some DVD-RAM drives can also write to DVD-R media.

DVD-R has a single-sided storage capacity of 4.7GB—about seven times that of a CD-R-and double that for a double-sided disc. These discs use an organic dye recording layer that allows for a low material cost, similar to CD-R.
DVD-R media is currently available in speeds up to 16x, although some drives feature faster burn speeds. Some vendors are now producing double-sided single-layer DVD-R media with capacities of 9.4GB. This media is designed primarily for DVD jukeboxes, although it can be used by standard DVD rewritable drives.

DVD+RW and DVD+R
DVD+RW, also called DVD Phase Change Rewritable, has been the premier DVD recordable standard because it is the least expensive, easiest to use, fastest, and most compatible with existing formats.
It was developed and is supported by Philips, Sony, Hewlett-Packard, Mitsubishi Chemical (MCC/Verbatim), Ricoh, Yamaha, and Thomson, who are all part of an industry standard group called the DVD+RW Alliance (www.dvdrw.com). Microsoft joined the alliance in February 2003. DVD+RW is also supported by major DVD/CD-creation software vendors and many drive vendors, including HP, Philips, Ricoh, and many remarketers of OEM drive mechanisms. Although DVD-RW has increased in popularity with the advent of faster and easier burning times, DVD+RW is the most popular rewritable DVD format.

Note that DVD+R, the recordable version of DVD+RW, was actually introduced after DVD+RW. This is the opposite of DVD-RW, which grew out of DVD-R. One of the major reasons for the development of DVD+R was to provide a lower-cost method for permanent data archiving with DVD+RW drives, and another was because of compatibility issues with DVD-ROM and DVD video players being incapable of reading media created with DVD+RW drives. However, most standard DVD-ROM drives or DVD players can read both DVD+R and DVD+RW media without problems.

Reference
Upgrading And Repairing PCs, 19th Edition by Scott Mueller

bubusam13

Human
That's cool man! BTW, have you ever buyed stuff from Amazon? If yes, maybe you can help me at: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/internet-...post-your-purchase-experience-amazon-com.html

No I have not due to the fact that since there will be international shipping, definitely I have to pay high on shipping charge.

sujoyp

Grand Master
My exp:lol:..

dont try multisession on dual layer..

My brand is National:smile:

Dual layer failure is too much...soo not reliable..

much more sensitive then normal one

If u have bought DVD writer less then 3 years you can write dual layer.

And please write dual layer on minimum speed like 2.5x..it takes nearly 40mins..

OP
Chetan1991

Chetan1991

Youngling
I travel in rickety buses on bumpy roads with my laptop.
Could that be the reason why many movies (and mp3s) on it corrupt(broken index, blank frames etc), even though keep it on my lap at all times??

sujoyp

Grand Master
Could that be the reason why many movies (and mp3s) on it corrupt(broken index, blank frames etc), even though keep it on my lap at all times??

No way...it can not be the reason...if u write dvd on max speed sometimes these things happens

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Could that be the reason why many movies (and mp3's) on it corrupt(broken index, blank frames etc), even though keep it on my lap at all times??

Well actually, thats a very dumb idea! In a situation where hard drives are subjected to extreme shocks, it can crash. Crash means, complete failure. But no way, particulars areas of hard drive's surface can get damaged!

The later case, can happen, in case when laptop is hard-reset (turning off forcibly, not proper shutdown). But this happens generally on desktop computer, not laptops. And it can cause bad sectors, which in turn can corrupt files, but can be rectified by running check disk utilities (chkdsk).

PraKs

Youngling
if u keep all stuff (movies) in HDD, The day HD goes corrupt all movies goes in air :)

better to backup stuff per DVD, even if u loose a DVD, U loose only 4-6 movies.

Sony DVD+R is the best, 100 Pack comes for 1340 Rs..

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
if u keep all stuff (movies) in HDD, The day HD goes corrupt all movies goes in air :)

better to backup stuff per DVD, even if u loose a DVD, U loose only 4-6 movies.

Sony DVD+R is the best, 100 Pack comes for 1340 Rs..

:+1: + 1

Thats way too costly...
It should not be more than 0.8K

Brand : Puma
Place : Ritchie st, Chennai

What? :shock: Sony DVD's @ 0.8K... dude, it isn't possible in this world!
Also, never heard of Puma DVD's. I seriously doubt its quality.

MegaMind

Human Spambot
What? :shock: Sony DVD's @ 0.8K... dude, it isn't possible in this world!
Also, never heard of Puma DVD's. I seriously doubt its quality.

I hav used PUMA for over a 6 years never had a prob with them...

Sony, ya i've bought a 100 pack for 0.8K

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I hav used PUMA for over a 6 years never had a prob with them...

Sony, ya i've bought a 100 pack for 0.8K

It's hard to believe that! Again: :shock:
When did you bought that? I think, I would too want to make that purchase, if it's offered in Delhi ! :)) :))

Top Bottom