Wake Up! India's Ranking on HWBOT.org is too low!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
I am not bashing. I am sure thunder is well-aware of that :).

Power users are simply a different league of guys and you just can't call anyone as power users. Same goes for hardware enthusiasts- the meaning is not as same as fanboys. Terminology has to be be used as accurate as possible for starters, if we ever want to see any improvement. Not I am preaching or anything, but there are one gets an opportunity to address such matters.

thebanik

Broken In
As said on TE:

I am not a power user so here's my take.

Few of those blokes in that Top #5 HWBot India doesn't even consider themselves as power users yet because they know the real meaning of power users.

Few of these "power users" used the wrong set of screws to mount TRUE120E and fell on 4850- blaming the heatsink.

Few of these blokes don't know the benifit/cons of push-pull, bolt through and enourmous heatsinks.

Few of those power users don't know the difference in thread count/thickness of the same heatsink kit comparing AMD bolt throughs with Intel secure kits

Few of these power users use one philosophy: If it fits, it has to work.

Few of these power users don't know what is Driver ICs, Mosfets, voltage regulators, etc. (and I still have a hell of a lot to still learn about this).

Few of those "power users" don't even know that technically whatever chokes came on boards were all iron chokes, even before they were "advertised".

Few of those power users don't know the difference between inductors and phase.

Few of those power users don't know the difference between thermal pads, thermal paste and paraffin wax.

Few of these power users use fan controller and thermal sensor 5.25 inch bay- but only connect the power and become happy with LED lights.

Few of these power users brag locally because they know they're surrounded by people who don't know the facts.

Few of those power users don't know that depending on the layout the fins on the ripjaws could touch D14- or a very small amount of space left- still its recommended.

Few of those power users put up fancy pics and screenshots of CPU-Z which only proves you were able to boot it with that speed, not necessarily stable- but claim to be one by saying that its benched.

These "power users" would end up being massacred and embarassed if they go for competitions in the international level. Forget overclocking, most of the people don't even know the basics. BTW, the points above? These points came during the conversation with multiple people personally and online- and most of these people are not power users and not associated with forums (but they know what kind of exotic words certain folks use). One guy is telling to 1 manufacturer that the hardware scene in India is still sad and says to another manufacturer of the similar hardware says the opposite. First learn the basics as in individual before deeming it as a "Dent" as a "national pride". Its just plain wrong. Just because you spend a lot of money on hardware or give advices to countless people doesn't make you a power user either.

Some people call me a troll because there are times I end up correcting the person multiple times on multiple forums. Not my problem if they can't understand the facts. All of a sudden, such people got their own troll team so I limit my comments. I am telling you because I know you since the chip days and I dont need to remind you dude-that the cake is a lie!!!11 Those people whom you deem as power users- most of them are not even half-way close despite the "Stuff" they do- and they do it just to become famous. In reality, most of these power users are mature guys, dating back to the 70s when they used to stash memory sticks and smaller ADD-On cards in those bulky CRT screens when they import stuff.

You know why would/can people say you are a troll(not that I have ever say/said it) because all you have listed is problems, but not a single solution.
I guess when you say just post a CPUz screenshot, you were talking about me, but I guess I made it clear last time as well, that AMD benchmarking is worthless because of its efficiency in benchmarks and Liquid Nitrogen is pretty expensive. So all that matters from AMD is the clocks and hence just CPUz screenshot.

Oh and now for those who think, overclocking cannot get you noticed, here is a link for you guyz, TOI interview of the 2 overclockers at the top in OP, Extreme Cooling: The Ace Overclocker in Todays TOI , BUT please do not pursue overclocking for the wrong reasons, do it only if you love it, as I read/heard somewhere, Do it for the right reasons, :grin:, I do it because I have been competitive always and overclocking gives me a way to relax ( gaming used to do it earlier, but wife banned gaming a few years ago, saying its childish, :sad:, :p)

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
I guess when you say just post a CPUz screenshot, you were talking about me, but I guess I......
Nope. You have that misconception about me, but nothing like that.

I am referring to people who claim that they have achieved a good OC using a CPU-Z screenshot on multiple threads, but CPU-Z is not a benchmarking tool. If an OC is not stable, then there's no point in bragging about it. If they cannot be honest to themselves and on the forums, then there's no point in joining hwbot. The solution is given on that post itself, one just need to read it. Many have understood it so far, so I know that post did its job. Jaskanwar for example asks the right questions, and the more questions that he asked eventually started to sound less annoying and somewhat more intelligent compared to the questions asked before- so efforts can be seen a bit from his part. There are people who found about the difference digital and analogue VRM on their own, so you say i have not put up a solution, others might not concur. I give pep-talks and it usually works.

People (in general) overclock to get better performance. No point in bragging about it if the setup is not stable in the first place.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
You know why would/can people say you are a troll(not that I have ever say/said it) because all you have listed is problems, but not a single solution.
I guess when you say just post a CPUz screenshot, you were talking about me, but I guess I made it clear last time as well, that AMD benchmarking is worthless because of its efficiency in benchmarks and Liquid Nitrogen is pretty expensive. So all that matters from AMD is the clocks and hence just CPUz screenshot.

Oh and now for those who think, overclocking cannot get you noticed, here is a link for you guyz, TOI interview of the 2 overclockers at the top in OP, Extreme Cooling: The Ace Overclocker in Todays TOI , BUT please do not pursue overclocking for the wrong reasons, do it only if you love it, as I read/heard somewhere, Do it for the right reasons, :grin:, I do it because I have been competitive always and overclocking gives me a way to relax ( gaming used to do it earlier, but wife banned gaming a few years ago, saying its childish, :sad:, :p)

it's not entirely worthless - it's just depends on what you call a worthless benhcmark and apps used in benchmarks. and what about GPU OC !!

here's some results for you ( in these benches AMD cpu performed well )
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/cpu-motherboards/135653-intel-sandy-bridge-discussion-8.html#post1350911

personally I still do believe that a stable OC is much more fruitful compared to

an unstable one which is entirely for show off and I lot people also like to see the highest possible clock speed without caring much about anything.

on the other a stable OC can be also useful to others to churn out the maximum possible of performance out of a component.

With OC I can get ~30% performance boost - so for me OCing is not just only show off but to get some serious performance out if it and I consider it as a worthwhile reason ;-)

but if you say all about scoring highest possible numbers with LN2 in clock speed, systemic benches and games - then I must say Intel is still has the crown of the dominator ;-)

R2K

In the Zone
we are in lower ranks because of ppl like me who values their gadgets as they were purchased by my own hard earned money....
i don't like to burn down my hardwares to showoff infront of some kids from other countries

OP
thunder.02dragon

thunder.02dragon

Journeyman
@^^
Thats the actual sad part... Bro all buys stuffs from their hard earned money but still this is testing your limits. I am not saying go extreme but at least put it to some real use.
It's not showoff man!!! Hope others can explain..I am bad at it.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ hey his post is pretty much self explanatory and his laptop can't be OCed anyway ;-)

what's the benefit of OC other than showoff - I think I've told a little bit about this on post no. 26

thebanik

Broken In
we are in lower ranks because of ppl like me who values their gadgets as they were purchased by my own hard earned money....
i don't like to burn down my hardwares to showoff infront of some kids from other countries

Aah, and we find our hardware waiting in the corner of the street for us to pickup. Do you even know how to overclock???? Because if you knew and you understood your hardware, then you would know that its not that easy(infact I would say, almost close to impossible) to burn down your hardware, specially on air.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Aah, and we find our hardware waiting in the corner of the street for us to pickup. Do you even know how to overclock???? Because if you knew and you understood your hardware, then you would know that its not that easy(infact I would say, almost close to impossible) to burn down your hardware, specially on air.

Banik Sir, let us not be so harsh..! :) Most of the users are not too aware about OC, and have a latent fear that OC'ing can cause burn - outs. I will not debate if it can/cannot -- but we should try to make the public aware about safe OC methods and how it can provide a decent boost to performance. You yourself are a moderator and know how difficult these concepts are for people to grasp and implement.

thebanik

Broken In
Banik Sir, let us not be so harsh..! :) Most of the users are not too aware about OC, and have a latent fear that OC'ing can cause burn - outs. I will not debate if it can/cannot -- but we should try to make the public aware about safe OC methods and how it can provide a decent boost to performance. You yourself are a moderator and know how difficult these concepts are for people to grasp and implement.

Sorry for the outburst but it was simply because rather than trying to learn overclocking which is pretty safe if you understand various terminologies used in a particular platform and if you understand the architecture of that platform, members here want to blow off overclocking as simply a showoff.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
This section has a dedicated OC section, and most non-Intel board users OC here. It is not a generic trend that TDF members consider OC as show-off. Change cannot happen over night, but we are helping drive it as much as possible.
:)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not really about show-off etc. Everyone buys stuff using their their hard earned money. Some people just like to push the limit of the hardware stuff they own. Nothing else. If you know what you're doing, there isn't any chance of burning things down. Having said that, everything has a learning curve.

OP
thunder.02dragon

thunder.02dragon

Journeyman
^^
This section has a dedicated OC section, and most non-Intel board users OC here. It is not a generic trend that TDF members consider OC as show-off. Change cannot happen over night, but we are helping drive it as much as possible.
:)

Correct... There are plenty of youtube videos showing people trying to burn their components..specially CPU but alas not succeeding on air.. (Old P4 was one of the best videos)

Show-Off is different and OC should never be considered as that.. It should be like a competition.(I did this score!! Can you do this? I have guts to do 5Ghz.. try catch me.. etc etc - Challenge-Wining-loosing-fighting back)
All is here!! ..

Donno what I am saying but I am kinda speechless :p :lol:

R2K

In the Zone

Dude by burn down i just meant to say causing permanent damage to the unit or hardware..And not that its gonna explode like bomb or something in mid air..geez :grin:
And i agree i never tried to learn OC as i never felt the need..:grin:

thebanik

Broken In
Dude by burn down i just meant to say causing permanent damage to the unit or hardware..And not that its gonna explode like bomb or something in mid air..geez :grin:

Even I didnt mean literal burning, but meant damaging components only. And please stop it, or else I am gonna post this conversation in some other more enthusiastic oriented forum, :p, (sorry singh, thats what I had heard earlier, and thats the feeling I am getting in my very short period of stay here) in a thread like this, *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/community...est-things-youve-heard-related-computers.html

And i agree i never tried to learn OC as i never felt the need..:grin::grin:

Then overclocking is certainly not for you, its for computer enthusiasts or for people who do not have money to upgrade but still need more performance out of their rigs.
Though this is not the thread to discuss overclocking merits because even I do not much approve of the theme of the OP.

Last edited:

R2K

In the Zone
^^
OK boss...you win :D:D
But how do you OC anyway....Any resources to learn it from? Although i don't plan to do it..but i would definitely like to learn for sure

It's not really about show-off etc. Everyone buys stuff using their their hard earned money. Some people just like to push the limit of the hardware stuff they own. Nothing else. If you know what you're doing, there isn't any chance of burning things down. Having said that, everything has a learning curve.

Gonna try to learn it

^^ hey his post is pretty much self explanatory and his laptop can't be OCed anyway ;-)

what's the benefit of OC other than showoff - I think I've told a little bit about this on post no. 26

LOL :DI know that my lappy is not that powerful but it pretty much does the job well..:grin:
I am not into gaming...and u don't need an alienware laptop for just browsing, watching movies, listening to music and reading ebooks.. lol:grin:

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ yep, general day to day tasks like you mentioned above does not requires much system resource but once your laptop gets old and you feel like it's underpowered consider OCing it ( if you can anyway ) ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom